[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smoking and driving

peepinmofo

For those of you that smoke cigs while driving, what do you do with the butts when you are done? Do you dispose of them in the provided ash tray, or do you toss it out the window like every other litterbug who causes forest fires?

If you throw it out the window, why? you have an ash tray, so use it. Stop making all the forest fires!

Thanks,

Smoky the Bear

For those of you that smoke cigs while driving, what do you do with the butts when you are done? Do you dispose of them in the provided ash tray, or do you toss it out the window like every other litterbug who causes forest fires?

If you throw it out the window, why? you have an ash tray, so use it. Stop making all the forest fires!

Thanks,

Smoky the Bear

Actually my car doesn't have an ash tray, actually my last 2 cars haven't had one. I however don't smoke in my vehicles.

Thanks,

Pack a Day :D

Oh and by the way, I have never heard of any fire being started here in my parts by a cig butt. I've TRIED to start a fire with a cig butt before, I think you are overestimating there power :D

i hate those people, i hope they die. even if they don't happen to start a forest fire, it is disgusting litter.

Smoker here and I agree completely. I have two ashtrays in the car, one in use and one spare. They are china pots and fit nicely in one of the front cupholders. When the one in use needs emptying, I take it in the house and empty it in the bin, replacing it with the spare. When it's washed, the previously full one goes in the car center console as the spare.

Repeat.

Is that enough detail?

I think litter in general is cultural... by my observations the major roadways up here in Minnesota have FAR less litter than in some other areas of the country that might happen to be a lot closer to other non-Canadian neighbors of the U.S.. :D

I don't smoke, but I definitely support smoker's rights... that said, I can't stand it when I see someone flick their butts on the ground, in a parking lot, on the road, etc. Seriously ticks me off.

Sorry but I didn't and I might add that I didn't see really any of them that were "forest fires"

The school of thought (at least 10 years ago), is for a cirgarette to start a wildland fire, conditions have to be prime. Super dry flashy fuels, 100+ degree temps, and single digit relative humidities. Now, the match used to light the cigarette (even if it is put out) was supposed to be able to start a fire easily if tossed out the window immediately.

Use a Zippo - no temptation to lob that out the window.

right :D I can see in the upper northwest this being a problem, the forest fires, but not in the midwest. Sega! here in the midwest they do controlled burns all summer long.

Sorry but I didn't and I might add that I didn't see really any of them that were "forest fires"

i take it you're in chiefs country?

June 8, 2007

Kansas City, MO

A discarded cigarette touched off a fire that injured one person at a hotel. According to a report in the Kansas City Star, the blaze also caused $1,000 in damage to the hotel room.

June 6, 2007

Overland Park, KS

A carelessly tossed cigarette ignited a blaze that destroyed an apartment unit. According to a report on FireFightingNews.com, the fire was first seen burning in a shrub, but due to high winds, the flames jumped to an adjacent fence and wooden deck.

Independence, MO

February 10, 2006

An unattended cigarette ignited a couch and started an early-morning fire that left one person dead, another person seriously injured, and another without a home. According to a report in The Examiner, fire officials say all three got out during the fire but one, a 49-year-old woman, went back after a dog, and died inside the home. Fire officials told the newspaper that smoke alarms alerted the occupants to the fire, but not early enough.

Jump to full article: Neosho (MO) News, 2006-02-17

Author: From Staff Reports

Intro:

A tossed cigarette butt is being ruled as the cause for a Wednesday afternoon fire that destroyed around 40 acres of pasture and several vehicles, including a school mini-bus and a street sweeper.

i take it you're in chiefs country?

June 8, 2007

Kansas City, MO

A discarded cigarette touched off a fire that injured one person at a hotel. According to a report in the Kansas City Star, the blaze also caused $1,000 in damage to the hotel room.

June 6, 2007

Overland Park, KS

A carelessly tossed cigarette ignited a blaze that destroyed an apartment unit. According to a report on FireFightingNews.com, the fire was first seen burning in a shrub, but due to high winds, the flames jumped to an adjacent fence and wooden deck.

Independence, MO

February 10, 2006

An unattended cigarette ignited a couch and started an early-morning fire that left one person dead, another person seriously injured, and another without a home. According to a report in The Examiner, fire officials say all three got out during the fire but one, a 49-year-old woman, went back after a dog, and died inside the home. Fire officials told the newspaper that smoke alarms alerted the occupants to the fire, but not early enough.

Jump to full article: Neosho (MO) News, 2006-02-17

Author: From Staff Reports

Intro:

A tossed cigarette butt is being ruled as the cause for a Wednesday afternoon fire that destroyed around 40 acres of pasture and several vehicles, including a school mini-bus and a street sweeper.

to be honest I didn't go back that far, and only two of these were "forest" fires.

My favorite? Someone approaches my restaurant smoking a cigarette. First they take a big drag. Then they smash it out on the sidewalk right in front of my door, then they exhale as they're walking in the door. It's as if they're pissed smoking is illegal in restaurants around here and this is their pathetic form of rebellion.

Not like it happens often, but it takes every bit of restraint not to punch the a-hole.

so what's your point, fires that only burn down houses with people in them are ok? whatever your point is, if you throw butts out your car window you are a royal ass hole, pure and simple.

:D

Kind of my response when I read Hat's response.

I started smoking again about a month and a half ago, and quit last Friday.

My car had no ashtray, but I refused to believe that I was going to keep smoking, so I didn't do anything about it.

I'm responsible for a bunch of butts on the road. I suck. :D

But it's over now.

My favorite? Someone approaches my restaurant smoking a cigarette. First they take a big drag. Then they smash it out on the sidewalk right in front of my door, then they exhale as they're walking in the door. It's as if they're pissed smoking is illegal in restaurants around here and this is their pathetic form of rebellion.

Not like it happens often, but it takes every bit of restraint not to punch the a-hole.

I really don't think that most of them realize what they are doing. I mean I hate cigarette's as much as anyone so often I think I am being a little over sensitive to things like that but I just fart everytime I am in the same situation just to see how everyone reacts to that.

Oh and new cars often don't have ashtrays unless they are ordered that way. I know the last new car that I bought could have come with a smokers convienence package.

Edited by Skippy

I started smoking again about a month and a half ago, and quit last Friday.

My car had no ashtray, but I refused to believe that I was going to keep smoking, so I didn't do anything about it.

I'm responsible for a bunch of butts on the road. I suck. :D

But it's over now.

Are you on the Thews' plan? :D

Flipping butts out the window is by far my biggest beef with smokers. Why the hell do they think butts are some how exempted from litter laws? What's funny is that I know many of them wouldn't dream of throwing a burger wrapper out the window, so what the hell? :D