[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Going to Cabo next week

nhoops

The wife and I are taking a much needed vacation next week (Friday - Friday).

We are off to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for a week of relaxing and partying.

Anybody been recently? Tips?

:D

drink lots of water. :D

actually, we were there in may. we didn't have any problem with the water in cabo. i mean, we weren't drinking massive amounts from the tap, but i had drinks with ice in them and didn't have any problem. the major hotels and resorts filter their own water, and i'm pretty sure restaurants in the touristy areas do, too.

we went with my parents and our 2-year-old, so our tastes may run a bit different than yours. one thing is that time shares seem to be the backbone of the cabo economy, so expect to be constantly hassled about that. it's really the only annoying thing, but after a few days of constant "NO"s they left us alone. we stayed in a condo less than 10 minutes from the mall, which, surprisingly, had some pretty good restaurants. i don't remember the names, but there was an excellent italian place (next to johnny rockets :D) that we all liked. another placed served more traditional style mexican food (it had a big fountain inside and patio seating outside -- sorry, don't remember the name, but most places there are pretty good). all these restaurants are along a small harbor/pier -- the taxi drops you off outside the mall and you walk through the inside and go back outside to these rows of restaurants. there's also a really good place for desserts there called Senor Sweets -- we ate there almost every night.

there's also the downtown area. we ate at a sushi place called Nick-San that was pretty good (there are two locations). there's also a place called the Giggling Marlin (right near Cabo Wabo, sammy hagar's place). it's one of those places where they put a giant sombrero on your head and force tequila down your throat. when we were there it wasn't that crowded, but they did pick a guy from each of five tables and have them take on employees in an arm-wrestling contest. they also had contests where they play snippets of songs and the table who guesses the song first gets free drinks. not that fun if you're with grandparents and a 2-year-old, but thought i'd mention it since it's just you and your wife.

we didn't do anything but hang out at the beach and pool. they do have parasailing (which we did) and other stuff, though. i'd go back again. we had a good time.

We were there about a year ago this week. Do a board search for Cabo and you should find my thread.

There are quite a few restaurants and bars around the marina. If you like lobster then you need to either have lunch or dinner at Lorenzillos. I would also recommend lunch at The Office. Great place right on the beach to hang out at and drink a gallon or 2 of Margaritas.

There's an awesome "authentic" mexican restaurant tucked away a few blocks from the marina area but I'm drawing a blank on the name right now. I'll have to look it up.

We bascially hung out at our resort (Playa Grande) and ate there most of the time. I would also recommend a water taxis out to Lover's beach and the Cabo Arches.

Edit: Here's the link: Cabo

And, had our son been born a few months earlier we would definitely be flying out there today. We met a ton of people that always head to Cabo this week of the year and we were planning on making it a yearly trip.

Edited by twiley

Thanks guys,

Yeah we are definitely going to the arches and have heard of the Office.

Most resorts used filtered water for ice but I've heard that veggies (salads) and fruit (non-peelable) should be avoided while out at resturants.

We are staying at the Me by Melia Cabo, right on Me'dano beach.

We also heard it's a good idea to buy bottled water and beer in bulk for the hotel at Cosco(?) by the airport. Are there local stores we can go to downtown without renting a car?

Thanks guys,

Most resorts used filtered water for ice but I've heard that veggies (salads) and fruit (non-peelable) should be avoided while out at resturants.

We also heard it's a good idea to buy bottled water and beer in bulk for the hotel at Cosco(?) by the airport. Are there local stores we can go to downtown without renting a car?

There isn't anything within 20 miles of the airport. :D

They probably meant San Jose Del Cabo which is the first major section of Cabo that you hit from the airport.

I could be wrong though.

Thanks guys,

there's a costco, but like twiley said, i don't think it's by the airport. i remember passing it on the way out to our condo. i don't remember where it was exactly, but all the cabbies know where these places are. also, the little market next to our condo complex gave discounts if you have a costo card -- not sure if other places to do that, but thought i'd mention it.

we took cabs everywhere. seems like cabo was built for tourists -- you shouldn't have a problem finding a market most places you go.