[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My dad is looking for a new TV

muck

dlp is a good rear-projection technology, the biggest disadvantages i know of compared to plasma and lcd are its physical depth (only an issue for some people) and its relatively poor range of viewing angles. i've heard people talk about a "rainbow effect" but never really seen it myself the few times i've watched a dlp set. biggest advantage is cost.

I've not had a problem with viewing angles, and the rainbow effect was basically solved several generations ago. Unless one is going to hang their TV on the wall (something I've never seen anyone do except for on commercials; most people put it on a stand anyways), what is the difference between 4'' of depth and the 12''-15'' of depth that a modern rear-projector is? It's still thinner than most stands.

Given that LCDs tend to be 2X DLPs, I think someone would have to be nuts to buy anything but a DLP.

I've not had a problem with viewing angles, and the rainbow effect was basically solved several generations ago. Unless one is going to hang their TV on the wall (something I've never seen anyone do except for on commercials; most people put it on a stand anyways), what is the difference between 4'' of depth and the 12''-15'' of depth that a modern rear-projector is? It's still thinner than most stands.

Given that LCDs tend to be 2X DLPs, I think someone would have to be nuts to buy anything but a DLP.

the viewing angles on rear-projections suck. like i said, if that's not a problem for your room, then great. but, believe it or not, some of us DO have reasons (aside from being nuts :D ) for buying something other than a technology that has, what, like 5 percent of the overall market?

this was in the description of one of the first player i looked at that you linked to....

Electronic audio/video device has upconversion to 1080p resolution(not sure exactly what that means or how much it matters)

hmmm did a bit of probing and some but not all HD-DVD playes can output in 1080P

Edited by keggerz

that is all fine- and I am sure your DLP is nice, But the fact remains the PQ is not the same quality of a good LCD or plasma by a longshot.

Resolution is only one aspect of PQ. The price is nice, no doubt, but there are some excellent deals out there on LCD and plasmas as well.

this was in the description of one of the first player i looked at that you linked to....

Electronic audio/video device has upconversion to 1080p resolution(not sure exactly what that means or how much it matters)

hmmm did a bit of probing and some but not all HD-DVD playes can output in 1080P

if the recent rumors about Warner come true at CES 2008 on/around/shortly after January 8th or 9th (I forget) then HD-DVD won't even matter anymore...

if the recent rumors about Warner come true at CES 2008 on/around/shortly after January 8th or 9th (I forget) then HD-DVD won't even matter anymore...

What are you talking about?

Do you speak English?