[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why the music industry is clueless.

evil_gop_liars

Universal Music CEO Doug Morris Speaks, Recording Industry in Even Deeper peaches by the bucket Than We Thought

When Morris is asked why the music business didn't work harder, in the early days of file-sharing, to build its own (legal) online presence, there's this exchange:

"There's no one in the record industry that's a technologist," Morris explains. "That's a misconception writers make all the time, that the record industry missed this. They didn't. They just didn't know what to do. It's like if you were suddenly asked to operate on your dog to remove his kidney. What would you do?"

Personally, I would hire a vet. But to Morris, even that wasn't an option. "We didn't know who to hire," he says, becoming more agitated. "I wouldn't be able to recognize a good technology person — anyone with a good bullpeaches by the bucket story would have gotten past me."

It is not that they missed it, they never wanted to embrace it. The majors do not like the "digital' world. They have always been in the business of manufacturing and distributing records (CD's). It was this distribution monopoly that made them a ton of money and gave them all their leverage. With the onset of the mp3 and broadband technology that monopoly started to crumble. It also led to better tracking and monitoring of unit sales which they hated as they used to derive a lot of income through "overseas" record sales. The whole "file sharing" movement could have been used to their benefit and they could have created their own tunes but they have totally missed the boat and are trying to figure out what to do next and trust me they truly have no answer. They allowed greed and the many "cogs in the chain" to ruin their business model.

Doug Morris is REALLY old school and a lot of these old school music biz peeps are totally clueless when it comes to new media. I head up new media marketing at a label and was also in charge of digital sales for quite a bit. Let me tell you that there reallly are folks who do embrace but it's really more the next gen of music industry professionals, not people like Doug Morris. Those guys are dinosaurs and will die out soon.

Doug Morris is REALLY old school and a lot of these old school music biz peeps are totally clueless when it comes to new media. I head up new media marketing at a label and was also in charge of digital sales for quite a bit. Let me tell you that there reallly are folks who do embrace but it's really more the next gen of music industry professionals, not people like Doug Morris. Those guys are dinosaurs and will die out soon.

This is true but it is still going to take far to long before the "next gen" has it's way. Unfortunately the "dinosaurs" still retain much power and IMO there are plenty of 40 somethings in the biz right now that are not going anywhere anytime soon and who are just as clueless. Gone are the days of record spins equating to record sales, now as I am sure you are aware, marketing and distributing music has become a "digital artform". Though I am still a big fan of mixing in some good old guerrilla marketing tactics.