[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which new game console for Christmas?

Jimmy Neutron

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids have a PS2 now and want a 360. Not a gamer myself, but the PS3 displays in the stores look superior to the 360.

Which should I buy (please be specific - they are packaged so many different ways) and why?

TIA.

Do they want to play games or watch Blu-ray movies?

Never had any of the game systems of late, but the Blu Ray alone would lead me to PS3 and did! Not to mention backward compatibility!

Did I mention internet access?

PS3....handsdown!

Don't know how important it is to you, and I don't even know for sure if it is a fact, but I've been told that the 360 games are actually 1080i whereas the PS3 is not, even though the blu ray player is. Again, I don't know for sure if this is accurate and for me, it would not be an issue. I'm leaning PS3 myself, I'm just waiting to make sure that blu ray is going to win the battle against HD DVD.

Don't know how important it is to you, and I don't even know for sure if it is a fact, but I've been told that the 360 games are actually 1080i whereas the PS3 is not, even though the blu ray player is. Again, I don't know for sure if this is accurate and for me, it would not be an issue. I'm leaning PS3 myself, I'm just waiting to make sure that blu ray is going to win the battle against HD DVD.

PS3 games can play in 1080P some of the games are 720P and with that you will get much debate on what is better 1080i or 720p

Don't know how important it is to you, and I don't even know for sure if it is a fact, but I've been told that the 360 games are actually 1080i whereas the PS3 is not, even though the blu ray player is.

many ps3 games (but not all) support 1080p...the ones that don't i believe default to 720p rather than 1080i, because the progressive scan resolution is generally going to be superior for video games than the interlaced resolution.

Jimmy, how old are the kids, and what games are they really into? I have been holding out on getting one of the newer consoles, but for me the decision is probably to go to the 360, just because of some of the titles I really like that aren't out on PS3.

Also, the Wii is fun as hell to play, if you haven't considered it. It's a lot more interactive experience than normal video games, and watching people who never play video games get all caught up in it is worth the price of the console in itself. Makes for a really cool group experience. I was up visiting friends over Thanksgiving, and we got everyone involved... wives, kids, grandparents... it was a blast.

the 360 has a 30% failure rate...the PS3 has something like a .02% failure rate...

the 360 has more good games, but that will only last another couple of months...so people who bring up the fact that the PS3 is only good for Blu-ray movies are stretching a little...

the PS3 is one of the few times I've spent money and actually was more than satisfied with what I got :D.......

plus you don't have to pay for online gaming...it comes with a free wireless connection..unlike the 360 where you seem to have to pay for every accessory....

and don't get me wrong, the 360 is a fine piece of machinery...but you get your moneys worth with the PS3....even if you never use it to play movies.....or if you never use it to play games...

I want a 360, but when I had a choice as to which one to own first, it's the Ps3 hands down...

Who cares about 720p, 1080i, and 1080p? You buy a game console to play games. Both systems have gorgeous high-definition graphics. If it's for games, get a 360. If you care about high-def movies, get a PS3. If you're not going to be downloading games and movies, get the Arcade version for $279. If you think you'll download games and movies, get the regular version for $349. If you're going to download a bunch of games and movies, get the Elite for $449.

If you want blu-ray movies, get the PS3 with the Spider Man movie. It's $399. It's not backwards compatible with older PS2 and PS1 games. You could also get the $499 version.

Take a look at the games for the 360 and PS3. They're pretty similar, but the 360 does have more. (Cue Avernus coming in and saying that the PS3 games are coming.) I've been very happy with my 360. We also have a Wii, but I don't play that too much. I did have a PS2, and there is a huge difference in the online community between Sony and Microsoft.

I don't want to turn this into an HD-DVD/Blu-ray debate and all of that...

but Blu-ray has flat out dominated disc sales....for a year straight....

HD-DVD has not won a week of movie sales since the PS3 has come out and the closest they came was the week Transformers came out for HD-DVD exclusively and nothing came out for Blu-ray....the sales were 51-49 that week in favor of Blu-ray....

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom120207/index.php

check that link and see the pie chart at the bottom within the first 3 pages of the book....it will show you the week results for black friday, since inception numbers and the numbers for the entire year....

content is king and the studios not supporting Blu-ray are definitely watching.....hopefully Blu-ray gets some good news january when CES 2008 comes up and that's when all the big news gets released....

I know people will say "who cares?"....well, people who like high def movies care :D

Who cares about 720p, 1080i, and 1080p? You buy a game console to play games. Both systems have gorgeous high-definition graphics. If it's for games, get a 360. If you care about high-def movies, get a PS3. If you're not going to be downloading games and movies, get the Arcade version for $279. If you think you'll download games and movies, get the regular version for $349. If you're going to download a bunch of games and movies, get the Elite for $449.

If you want blu-ray movies, get the PS3 with the Spider Man movie. It's $399. It's not backwards compatible with older PS2 and PS1 games. You could also get the $499 version.

Take a look at the games for the 360 and PS3. They're pretty similar, but the 360 does have more. (Cue Avernus coming in and saying that the PS3 games are coming.) I've been very happy with my 360. We also have a Wii, but I don't play that too much. I did have a PS2, and there is a huge difference in the online community between Sony and Microsoft.

Sony is coming out with Home in 2008...and what they have in store is so impressive that even loyal 360 owners say it looks "good"...

like I said...both systems are good...but it just seems right now that the 360 is only good for shooter games..at least in general...whether it be 1st person or 3rd person...

Sony is coming out with Home in 2008...and what they have in store is so impressive that even loyal 360 owners say it looks "good"...

like I said...both systems are good...but it just seems right now that the 360 is only good for shooter games..at least in general...whether it be 1st person or 3rd person...

It seems like Second Life .

360 is hardly just good for shooters, that's like saying PS3 is good for only Japanese games. Shooters are popular. So are sports games. I'm not into Japanese roll playing games, but I know some people are. Guitar Hero type games are on both systems. Take a look at the top PS3 games. There's not too much on there that can't be had on a 360. There's a few games that are only on 360, but the list is similar. The Arcade games are great on the 360 too. Both systems have similar games. Besides blu-ray, is the most compelling reason to get a PS3 the Home thing? :D

It seems like Second Life .

360 is hardly just good for shooters, that's like saying PS3 is good for only Japanese games. Shooters are popular. So are sports games. I'm not into Japanese roll playing games, but I know some people are. Guitar Hero type games are on both systems. Take a look at the top PS3 games. There's not too much on there that can't be had on a 360. There's a few games that are only on 360, but the list is similar. The Arcade games are great on the 360 too. Both systems have similar games. Besides blu-ray, is the most compelling reason to get a PS3 the Home thing? :D

the only games that really sell for that system are shooters...that was my point...when you break down the exclusive games anyways...

and the 360 has been out a full year longer and by itself...it better have more content...

PS3 has shooters, platform, rpg and whatever.....not that I'm into all of those types, but it seems like you're angling more than anything, because you're now saying home and blu-ray are the best things about the ps3 and I have said you don't have to use it for movies at all to get your monies worth...

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune is probably the game of the year, Heavenly Sword is good, Resistance is another and if you like online war type stuff...warhawk is a beast and a step in another direction...

when people buy a 360, they think Halo and Gears of War....and I'm talking exclusive games....you can list a bunch of exclusive games, but they have to actually be good...

I'm not even too much of a gamer...but the PS3 has me playing games more than I have in the past 6 or 7 years...

microsoft is already biting the Home idea which is copying off of something else.....how often does MS not copy something else?....even windows is a stolen idea....so bringing up the fact that sony bit something is a bit funny..

ahaha they are already here...Uncharted should be game of the year...

:D now i KNOW you're a fanboy. uncharted wasn't even the game of that week. i liked it, and it's one of the ps3's better games, but it's nowhere near game of the year.

egret pretty much sums it up. jimmy neutron already said the system's gonna be on a standard def tv, which negates the high-def stuff. the fact is that the xbox 360 simply has more games right now. egret did a good job summing up your choices a few posts above. i'd say if it's for your kids, you don't care about HD and all it's gonna be used for is games, get the xbox 360.

:D now i KNOW you're a fanboy. uncharted wasn't even the game of that week. i liked it, and it's one of the ps3's better games, but it's nowhere near game of the year.

egret pretty much sums it up. jimmy neutron already said the system's gonna be on a standard def tv, which negates the high-def stuff. the fact is that the xbox 360 simply has more games right now. egret did a good job summing up your choices a few posts above. i'd say if it's for your kids, you don't care about HD and all it's gonna be used for is games, get the xbox 360.

wait...what was the game of the week?..

lol@you using words like fanboy....stick to biased game forums with that type of slang...:wacko:

it's the best game I've played on either system...:D

You said 360 is only good for shooters. I showed that it isn't. :D

Uncharted is a game I've never heard of. Looks interesting, but nothing that would make me want to buy a new system.

looks like a Japanese slasher type game. Nothing wrong with it, just not my bag.

you can list a bunch of exclusive games, but they have to actually be good...

Ok:

Blue Dragon (Not my type of game, but it's a Japanese type game.)

:D

Then again, if we want to debate exclusives, Nintendo has the market cornered on that with the Mario, DK, and Zelda type games.

I love the way the

The PS3 doesn't seem to do it the same way.

For me it comes down to games and online play.

wait...what was the game of the week?..

lol@you using words like fanboy....stick to biased game forums with that type of slang...:D

it's the best game I've played on either system...:D

assassin's creed, crysis and super mario galaxy all came out the same week, all of which are as good or better than uncharted. rock band and mass effect came out the next week, and both are better than uncharted. but this is pointless, because jimmy already said this was for his kids -- i doubt he'd want them playing uncharted, heavenly sword, resistance or warhawk, which are all pretty violent.

i also don't care to derail jimmy's thread with mindless debate, but i do have to say that you almost never have anything bad to say about the ps3, when the fact of the matter is that if it were everything you say it is, it would be selling like mad. clearly, that's not the case.

You said 360 is only good for shooters. I showed that it isn't. :D

Uncharted is a game I've never heard of. Looks interesting, but nothing that would make me want to buy a new system.

looks like a Japanese slasher type game. Nothing wrong with it, just not my bag.

Ok:

Blue Dragon (Not my type of game, but it's a Japanese type game.)

:D

Then again, if we want to debate exclusives, Nintendo has the market cornered on that with the Mario, DK, and Zelda type games.

I love the way the

The PS3 doesn't seem to do it the same way.

For me it comes down to games and online play.

I won't disagree...although I didn't like Saints Row, Deadrising or Crackdown and haven't played any other except Gears

Gears is outstanding....period....I just wish Halo was more like it in regards to living up to the hype...

the one game that seriously made my decision for me was Metal gear Solid 4....

had MGS4 been on both systems, I may own a 360 right now because of Gears at the time was the best game on both systems and I'd be locked in on MGS4....

and the fact that I prefer Uncharted over any game on either system at this point is nothing more than a personal preference....but it seems to be the most involved game between the 2 systems..

assassin's creed, crysis and super mario galaxy all came out the same week, all of which are as good or better than uncharted. rock band and mass effect came out the next week, and both are better than uncharted. but this is pointless, because jimmy already said this was for his kids -- i doubt he'd want them playing uncharted, heavenly sword, resistance or warhawk, which are all pretty violent.

i also don't care to derail jimmy's thread with mindless debate, but i do have to say that you almost never have anything bad to say about the ps3, when the fact of the matter is that if it were everything you say it is, it would be selling like mad. clearly, that's not the case.

you said you don't want to turn this into a debate....but then the rest of your post suggests otherwise...

I don't have anything bad to say about the PS3 because ////I have nothing bad to say about it...

I own assassins creed and it is clearly....not even close...crysis is decent and mario galaxy definitely holds water here....I purchased this for one of my neices and it definitely looks interesting for a younger audience...

and the PS3 is selling like crazy...worldwide...ever since the price drop..

somewhere around 300% more...

and price was a factor here and isn't soo much of a factor anymore...

I'm not a Wii fan, but if he's not using a HD set then the Wii is his choice....as the main factors of the PS3 and 360 are the fact that they are HD....