[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With Love

evil_gop_liars

And in related news.............

Received this e-mail yesterday;

It took about 90 seconds from the time we blocked access to http://images.google.com this morning to when the complaints started to roll in. Perhaps this explanation will help you explain it to your staff:

I am sorry for the inconvenience of being unable to use Google's image search feature. We did not block it on a whim. We received complaints about students being able to view inappropriate pictures with image search engines and therefore had to block access. For example, students could (and did) use Google to search for images of "naked people" and view very graphic pictures of just what they searched for: naked people in all kinds of positions and doing all kinds of activities. To stop that type of access we had to block Google's image search engine. We are required to protect our students from such sites by the Children's Internet Protection Act.

A link to NetTrekker search engine is under Internet resources on our website. Students may access it from home or school. NetTrekker is a filtered search engine with an image search feature. Google, Altavista, Yahoo, etc. are public search engines and are not protected by a filter. These search engines may still be used. The only feature blocked is the image search.

I suggest the students use NetTrekker for their image searches. Image searches may also be done with the AP Photo engine, also linked on our website. This will allow them to conduct their research while still protecting our students from viewing objectionable material. Your librarians are excellent resources for how to conduct safe Internet searches.

Overpaid N Underqualified

Executive Director of Technology Services

?????? ISD

(names deleted to save my job)

and the latest.

Subject line reads; "?????? kids are smart!"

It took them less than a day to find a way around the Google image block. We know what steps to take next but it will take some time and manpower to accomplish.

Please keep in mind that we can never guarantee to block every site that is objectionable. For every action we take there is someone somewhere devising a counter-action. All we can do is try our best while avoiding the ultimate step that would cut off all Internet research.

Remind your staff to be on their feet monitoring constantly while the kids are on the computers. This should be standard procedure but it doesn't always happen, for a variety of reasons. Just be aware that from time to time some children are not working on what you think they are when they are sitting at a computer.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone put this much effort and ingenuity in their assignments?

Blah Blah

Executive Director of Technology Services

????? ISD

and the latest.

Subject line reads; "?????? kids are smart!"

If kids want to look at naughty bits and pieces, they'll find a way. Unless you want to use retinal scanner log-in technology and record every key stroke and email all internet history available to the powers that be, kids are going to do this at school so long as computers are available at school. Not saying I like it; just that's its reality.

Edited by yo mama

If kids want to look at naughty bits and pieces, they'll find away. Unless you want to use retinal scanner log-in technology and record every key stroke and email all internet history available to the powers that be, kids are going to do this at school so long as computers are available at school. Not saying I like it; just that's its reality.

True but no doubt let it be as hard as possible for them to do so

True but no doubt let it be as hard as possible for them to do so

Meh. I'm not saying schools should make it easy for the lil' basturds, or turn a blind eye. I just want to know they're spending the bulk of their time and resources trying to educate the kids, rather than preventing them from seeing boobies on the internets. Because lets face it: if you hand a tool to 1000 kids, no matter what safe guards you put into place, a certain percentage of those kids are going misuse that tool. From an allocation of resources perspective it just seems easier to expel wrong doers rather than try to force every sinner into being a saint.