[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boxing

whomper

Whenever a big fight shows up we usually get some good boxing chatter going. I know we have some big boxing fans on the board so I figured I would start a thread about our favorite boxers from the past/ Present, some big KOs , classic fights or whatever you want to kick in. I have always been a Ray Leonard fan. Loved the guys ring savvy and speed. Old school Mike Tyson was just ridiculous. The excitement he brought to boxing was just nuts. I loved watching a good Gatti war as well. I used to love watching boxing on wide world of sports with my grandfather..Great stuff. Larry Holmes was a great champ..Obviously Ali was a legend..Foreman was a big hitter. Duran , Marciano, Roy Jones..So many big names. Boxing has had to share the limelight a little lately with ultimate fighting. A lot of websites combine boxing with ultimate fighting lately. Lets talk about the sweet science

Wanna see a boxing match that defies belief? Here.

World Middleweight Championship

In white, Michael Watson

In black, Chris Eubank

Watch Eubank hit the canvas in the 11th and then get up to win. F'n unbelievable. Tragically, despite being stopped on his feet, Watson was hospitalized and is now in a wheelchair. This fight was simply beyond description.

I like boxing but don't know a ton about it like some of you guys.

Some of my favorites are:

Tommy Hearns: Have to give props to the local guy, some EPIC battles with Ray and Duran.

Tyson: Of course, the early years were pheonominal. His fights were must see and a fight party was almost guarenteed, of coruse that was during my younger partying days.

Roy Jones: Wasn't a huge fan of his but marveled at his speed back in the day probably around the mid 90's.

Pretty boy Floyd: While I was rootin for Hatten and even Oscar in the last fight I have grown to like Floyd a bit more after the Hatten fight. He showed me a lot in that fight. One of the best fights I've seen in a while, probably more of an indictment on boxing but still a good fight none the less.

Oscar: Not sure what to say about him but I always like the guy and the way he fought.

Can't say too much about the Ali / Frazier / Foreman era and prior but I think I would and maybe am more of a fan of Frazier then the other guys of that time.

I like boxing but don't know a ton about it like some of you guys.

Some of my favorites are:

Tommy Hearns: Have to give props to the local guy, some EPIC battles with Ray and Duran.

Tyson: Of course, the early years were pheonominal. His fights were must see and a fight party was almost guarenteed, of coruse that was during my younger partying days.

Roy Jones: Wasn't a huge fan of his but marveled at his speed back in the day probably around the mid 90's.

Pretty boy Floyd: While I was rootin for Hatten and even Oscar in the last fight I have grown to like Floyd a bit more after the Hatten fight. He showed me a lot in that fight. One of the best fights I've seen in a while, probably more of an indictment on boxing but still a good fight none the less.

Oscar: Not sure what to say about him but I always like the guy and the way he fought.

Can't say too much about the Ali / Frazier / Foreman era and prior but I think I would and maybe am more of a fan of Frazier then the other guys of that time.

Tommy Hearns KO of Duran is one of the greatest KOs I have ever seen. Nobody flattened Duran yet Hearns wiped him out with a hugh shot. Left him crumpled head first on the canvas.

it comes at about 3:36 Edited by whomper

"One of the best fights I've seen in a while, probably more of an indictment on boxing but still a good fight none the less."

floyd/hatton was a good, entertaining, fight.....but there are plenty of great fights out there....the problem is only the hardcore boxing fans are paying attention to them...the general public is bored with the world of boxing because of the lack of star power in the heavyweight division....130,135,140,147...these divisions right now are loaded with talent...and 147 might be as deep as its ever been

go find downloads of rafael marquez vs israel vazquez I and II (the rubber match is scheduled for march i believe...on showtime)

im 27...so growing up..i always followed vinny paz...my favorite fighter right now is probably paulie malignaggi...he has no pop...doesnt knock people out...but hes a phenomenal boxer...his only loss was to miguel cotto two summers ago at MSG on cottos home turf the day before the puerto rican day parade in nyc(paulie got dropped in the 2nd round and survived to go the distance despite having his face rearranged...paulie was one of two guys to make it the distance against cotto in his previous 11 fights...paulie then dominated the other guy at mohegan sun to win a world title)...heres what paulies face looked like afer the fight

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/975/Migue...Malignaggi4.jpg

still some great fights/legitimate big events coming up....manny pacquiao vs juan manuel marquez(one of the most underrated/mismanaged fighters ever)....pavlik/taylor rematch...

"One of the best fights I've seen in a while, probably more of an indictment on boxing but still a good fight none the less."

floyd/hatton was a good, entertaining, fight.....but there are plenty of great fights out there....the problem is only the hardcore boxing fans are paying attention to them...the general public is bored with the world of boxing because of the lack of star power in the heavyweight division....130,135,140,147...these divisions right now are loaded with talent...and 147 might be as deep as its ever been

go find downloads of rafael marquez vs israel vazquez I and II (the rubber match is scheduled for march i believe...on showtime)

im 27...so growing up..i always followed vinny paz...my favorite fighter right now is probably paulie malignaggi...he has no pop...doesnt knock people out...but hes a phenomenal boxer...his only loss was to miguel cotto two summers ago at MSG on cottos home turf the day before the puerto rican day parade in nyc(paulie got dropped in the 2nd round and survived to go the distance despite having his face rearranged...paulie was one of two guys to make it the distance against cotto in his previous 11 fights...paulie then dominated the other guy at mohegan sun to win a world title)...heres what paulies face looked like afer the fight

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/975/Migue...Malignaggi4.jpg

still some great fights/legitimate big events coming up....manny pacquiao vs juan manuel marquez(one of the most underrated/mismanaged fighters ever)....pavlik/taylor rematch...

I know Cotto is a stud but havent followed him in detail..Doesnt he have a suspect chin ? He has hit the canvas a few times correct ? Paz was great. He had 2 great fights IIRC against that Jewish boxer. I forget his name "The hebrew hammer " Dana something ..Rosenblatt ?. Paz won # 1 then lost # 2 I believe. True about the heavyweights lacking star power. Vitaly Klitscho was coming on pretty strong but I guess had too many nagging injuries. Wladimir has a jackhammer punch but the Chin makes him very vulnerable. Peter is a home run hitter but Wlad took care of him. It wasnt a typical heavyweight performance . a lot of holding and clinching but he pulled it off.

As far as big fights of the past Chavez /Meldrick Taylor always comes to mind with that amazing ending. Gatti/ Ward 1 was awesome. So many great fights..Roy Jones dominant rematch win over Montell Griffin.

The best I saw, Carlos Zarate, has the distinction of being the only boxer in history to put together two streaks of 20 or more knockout wins in a row. He had a record of 66 wins and 4 losses as a professional boxer, with 63 wins by knockout. He was 53-1 at one point.

I was a big Holmes fan. Best fight he was in was w/ Norton for a vacant title.

Alexis Arguello was the most technically sound. His wars with Aaron Pryor are considered legendary but he would have beaten him silly if they met a little earlier, plus there was something in that bottle, no f'n doubt. His knockout of Bubba Busceme is an unknown classic, after eating a right cross, Bubba's head spun and he "walked away" from Alexis like a cartoon character.

I was a BIG Mickey Ward fan early on. Those Gatti fights came about 3 years after I had seen Ward & they speak for themselves.

I used to commute on the train from Wilmington, DE - NYC. One day, this dude sits next to me and he looks familiar. After some headscratching, I tell him he looks like this fighter I had seen on Friday Night Fights on the USA network, several times, named "Rockin'" Rodney Moore. He shows me the gold chain around his neck & it says ROCKIN". He was so impressed that I recognized him and flattered, that he took me to the next car and introduced me to his entourage. They were headed up to NYC to meet with Don King. I told him to make sure to duck when speaking to the Don.

Other than Ward-Gatti, I hadn't watched a fight since David Tiberi, a local Wilmington fighter, beat the $hit outta then middleweight champ James Toney, in a non-title bout and was denied the decision.

I know Cotto is a stud but havent followed him in detail..Doesnt he have a suspect chin ? He has hit the canvas a few times correct ? Paz was great. He had 2 great fights IIRC against that Jewish boxer. I forget his name "The hebrew hammer " Dana something ..Rosenblatt ?. Paz won # 1 then lost # 2 I believe. True about the heavyweights lacking star power. Vitaly Klitscho was coming on pretty strong but I guess had too many nagging injuries. Wladimir has a jackhammer punch but the Chin makes him very vulnerable. Peter is a home run hitter but Wlad took care of him. It wasnt a typical heavyweight performance . a lot of holding and clinching but he pulled it off.

As far as big fights of the past Chavez /Meldrick Taylor always comes to mind with that amazing ending. Gatti/ Ward 1 was awesome. So many great fights..Roy Jones dominant rematch win over Montell Griffin.

cotto was sent to the canvas by ricardo torres(who is a 140 world champ)...torres took the fight on real short notice...like 3 weeks...he has some power...cotto was rocked by demarcus corley...and really, zab judah had him in the 2nd round of their fight last summer....but couldnt finish(zab has some of the most impressive physical gift of anyone in the game....he just has nothing between his ears....great effort though in his fight against cotto)...cotto really showed versatility though in his win over shane mosley...cotto was thought of as a big puncher who would wear and break opponents down physically....brought a different game in his biggest test....

yeah paz knocked "dangerous" dana rosenblatt out in 96...his first fight after roy jones knocked him out...rosenblatt avenged that like 3 or 4 years later with a split decision...only noteable win of rosenblatts career...and this was a shot vinny just collecting checks...rosenblatt was such a local hype job with a padded unbeated record before paz knocked him out

the heavyweight scene wants to see wlad and peter scrap again....peter sent wlad down 3 times...and lost...peter is being dragged through a lot of legal bs right now..and that fight is probably well over a year away..if it even goes down

do yourself a favor whomper..if you havent...check rafael marquez/israel vazquez 1 and 2...if ya havent seen em yet...