[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty Schottenheimer to Atlanta?

Randall

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

December 21, 2007

In the Atlanta Falcons' attempt to rebuild their football operations, they apparently are considering becoming a sort of Chargers Southeast.

League sources said yesterday the Falcons have made overtures to former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer about being their next head coach and are considering hiring Chargers Assistant General Manager Buddy Nix to be their general manager.

Atlanta lost coach Bobby Petrino to the University of Arkansas last week, and according to a statement from the Falcons, Rich McKay will be replaced as general manager.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank first talked with Bill Cowher about running the team, but Cowher reportedly told him he was sitting out from coaching at least one more season. Atlanta then made a well-publicized run at Bill Parcells to head its football operations, but Parcells yesterday took the same job with the Dolphins.

Atlanta's next fallback as coach is evidently Schottenheimer, who was fired by the Chargers in February after a 14-2 season but a second playoff loss in two tries. The hirings of Schottenheimer and Nix would be in concert, sources said.

Asked about the possibility of his right-hand personnel man leaving, Chargers GM A.J. Smith professed to know nothing about it.

“I have not heard about Buddy Nix, but I have heard the Coach Schottenheimer rumors,” he said. “If true, I believe a Buddy Nix-Marty Schottenheimer team in Atlanta would be a perfect fit. . . . Buddy got along well with Coach Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time.”

Nix came to San Diego in 2001 along with Smith and former GM John Butler. Nix was director of player personnel in 2001-02 and ascended to assistant GM when Smith became general manager in 2003 after Butler's death. The three also worked together in Buffalo before coming to the Chargers.

“I'd hate to lose him,” Smith said. “But it's something he's told me in the past he'd like to do – or explore it. If this situation should work out, I'd wish him the best.”

Injured stars return

Linebacker Shawne Merriman and defensive end Luis Castillo returned to practice yesterday in limited roles. Their availability for Monday remains in question, as head coach Norv Turner said both will be game-time decisions.

Merriman missed last Sunday's game with a sprained ligament in his left knee. Castillo has missed six games following ankle surgery to repair a tendon in his right ankle.

Philip Rivers also had his reps limited again, as he likely will the rest of the season as he plays with a sprained ligament. Backup running back Michael Turner also worked only a few reps. Nose tackle Jamal Williams sat out practice, as he often does midweek.

As part of Turner's effort to rest his team – body and mind – there were no meetings after a slightly shorter practice.

Kevin Acee: (619) 293-1857; kevin.acee@uniontrib.com

Find this article at:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...s21chnotes.html

If Nix leaves too(and becomes GM) it sounds like Marty would have a great relationship with the new GM. Lately he's had to fight with the GM or owner but still did well. If he can work in partnership he may turn this team around sooner than most think possible.

They better sign him soon. If not, Miami is going to steal their thunder again by replacing Cam with Shotty, according to John Clayton on ESPN radio.

Parcells is leaning toward starting over with a new coach, and he has always been a Marty fan.

Edited by Missoula Griz

They better sign him soon. If not, Miami is going to steal their thunder again by replacing Cam with Shotty, according to John Clayton on ESPN radio.

Parcells is leaning toward starting over with a new coach, and he has always been a Marty fan.

That'd be one hell of a combo

Marty Schottenheimer told SI.com that a report he's been in discussions with the Falcons about their head coaching vacancy is news to him.

"I have not heard a word from anybody about anything relating to the Falcons," said Schottenheimer. "I really don't know much about the Falcons situation, other than what has gone on of late out there. I really don't think I'm going to do it -- coach again." These comments run contrary to the widespread belief that Schottenheimer is dying to get back into coaching.

"I'm content with what I'm doing," he said by phone from his home outside Charlotte, N.C. "I really don't think I'm going to do it -- coach again. It's changed so dramatically (from) the way I was brought up in it, if you will. I would not rule it out, but ... I have not heard from the Falcons or anybody else. I've got four grandbabies and I'm having a ball with them. It would have to be a perfect fit for me to come back, and I don't know that there are any of those anymore."

The tandem of Schottenheimer-Nix would be perfect in Atlanta, because Schottenheimer has a proven track record of success in the regular season -- he ranks sixth on the league's career wins list with 200 -- and Nix is a respected evaluator of college prospects. The two would bring instant credibility to the Falcons.

Still, sources familiar with Schottenheimer's thinking contend that he will only consider returning to a situation in which he believes the team has the necessary components to make a title run in the next few years. Schottenheimer even mentioned as much, saying: "There's only one thing I haven't done and that's win a world championship."

Source: SI.com

Edited by Randall

In the Atlanta Falcons' attempt to rebuild their football operations, they apparently are considering becoming a sort of Chargers Southeast.

:D

After he turned the Chargers into Kansas City Southwest?

No offense to Charger fans here, but living in SoCal let me just say that I have NEVER EVER seen a group of football fans with such a baseless sense of entitlement than fans of the 2007 Chargers. They were awful at the game I went to, and this 'center of the football universe' embedded in the first line of this article makes me laugh.

You guys are cute. :D

I also read in the paper today that he wants to retire from coaching. I'm thinking this statement is a bargaining ploy. We shall see.

Edited by Chargerz