[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody ever try acupuncture?

Cunning Runt

I've been giving some real thought to trying it.

I've got a right shoulder (rotator cuff) that is kind of a chronic thing and a constant knot in my left shoulder blade. I've been wanting to try acupuncture to see if that helps any but have thus far been hesitant - not out of fear, but just not sure if it works or not.

Anybody on here ever try it?

What did you think of it? Worth the effort?

Edited by Cunning Runt

Have you tried PT? Been to a Doc? Gone down the conventional road?

I'm pretty sure the rotator cuff would require surgery to shave it down some. I've had it looked it at by an orthopaedic doctor and that seems to be what it might be. They did prescribe some certain exercises that I tried for a while that concentrated on strengthening the rotator cuff, but I've been really curious is there's anything to the "alternative medicine" approach to some of these types of things.

The knot - who knows?

I whack off lefty so maybe I'm stuck with that one. :D

I had some fainting spells one summer at work and ended up going to an acupunturist. She says I was storing too much heat. She poked around my hand in a few places and then stuck a needle in the webbing between my thumb and first finger. I thought I was going to hit the freaking roof it hurt so much! None of the other needles hurt at all before that one. Within a few minutes, I had this huge welt around that needle and ultimately the pain subsided. After about 20 minutes or so, she took it out. The problem was completely 100% solved. Absolutely amazing.

Because I'm from Santa Cruz and Berkeley, CA, I've tried no shortage of hippie medicine (though referring to something as ancient as acupuncture as hippie is very much a discredit, none the less, you get my drift). In my experience, I've found them to be at least as effective as traditional western medicine.

I've had low back pain ever since working in a factory. I tried every form of conventional Western medicine to alleviate the pain but nothing worked. I even had an orthopedic surgeon suggest exploratory surgery where he thought he saw a bulging disk on an x-ray. I politely declined (F U Mister!) and was asked never to return to his office.

Anyway, I ended up trying an acupuncturist as I was determined to try every avenue I could find before someone was going to open up my back. I spent about 6 months going to see him on and off. The effects were noticible after the first session and I eventually became pain free. I didn't have back issues for 15 years after that but eventually my hedonistic lifestyle caught up to me. Another series of visits to the acupuncturist once again cleared up the back issues.

I would highly recommend at least checking it out.

I've got a horrible right neckshoulder. On random mornings I will wake up and can't move. I have the wife push me out of bed and drive me to the acupuncturist. Happens maybe once a year. I've driven home from all 6 appointments. I usually fall asleep while I'm getting it done.

I've done acupressure. I go a couple of times of year for a massage. (Not that kind :D ) The lady I see does some kind of pressure on the base of my skull. It knocked all the stress right out of me... along with neck and back pain. I was asleep in seconds.

Sounds like pretty positive feedback to me. I think I'm going to check it out. Check out my insurance plan too - true dat.

I'll revisit this thread down the road once I've actually done it.

Thanks for chiming in.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I had some fainting spells one summer at work and ended up going to an acupunturist. She says I was storing too much heat. She poked around my hand in a few places and then stuck a needle in the webbing between my thumb and first finger. I thought I was going to hit the freaking roof it hurt so much! None of the other needles hurt at all before that one. Within a few minutes, I had this huge welt around that needle and ultimately the pain subsided. After about 20 minutes or so, she took it out. The problem was completely 100% solved. Absolutely amazing.

So.....since this treatment have you been less of a hothead? :D

I have tried it for foot pain and damn if it didn't work for me. Craziest thing ever. AND my insurance paid for it!

Cre8 - if you don't mind me asking. What sort of foot pain? How did you get the insurance to pay for it?

How the helll do you even find someone that performs acupuncture?

Cre8 - if you don't mind me asking. What sort of foot pain? How did you get the insurance to pay for it?

How the helll do you even find someone that performs acupuncture?

I looked up "Acupuncture" in the Yahoo online yellow pages and found 3 or 4 in the Fort Wayne, IN area that does it. Since I'm a little leery of the whole thing, I may cross-reference them with the local Better Business Bureau to see if there are complaints registered against any of them. I also might stop in just to see what kind of operation it is.