[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What are the issues of this year's Presidential election?

Cunning Runt

For me, it's a number of things - most of them not surprisingly are somewhat intertwined:

1. International relations - specifically trying to be more accepting of other cultures rather than force-feeding our way of doing things downs the throats of those that don't want it.

2. Reducing our dependency on foreign oil via alternative fuels or using our own. The middle east wouldn't matter nearly so much to us if we were more self-sufficient, and if we could make those middle east countries much more irrelevant, I think that would go a long way towards #1 above.

3. Illegal aliens (I favor given illegals NOTHING - and I mean NOTHING).

4. Economy - primarily gasoline prices, but again, that's part of my first two points.

5. Back to middle east - I do want us out of Iraq asap, but we've managed to muddle things so much, it would have to be done prudently. I don't have an answer to this one, but if someone running does, it would certainly go into my thought process when deciding who to vote for.

You know, when Clinton actually was president, he was accused of waffling on issues based on what direction the prevailing opinion was at the time. In retrospect, isn't that what we want our president to do - govern based upon the will of the people? I would probably actually vote for him again if he were to run and that's saying something for me.

For me, it's a number of things - most of them not surprisingly are somewhat intertwined:

1. International relations - specifically trying to be more accepting of other cultures rather than force-feeding our way of doing things downs the throats of those that don't want it.

2. Reducing our dependency on foreign oil via alternative fuels or using our own. The middle east wouldn't matter nearly so much to us if we were more self-sufficient, and if we could make those middle east countries much more irrelevant, I think that would go a long way towards #1 above.

I agree with these two, and they are probably the most important to me.

3. Like Cunning Runt for me it is illegals, but I have a different stance on it. We will never stop illegal immigration completely. There are only two ways we are going to slow it down significantly. One approach would be to try to bolster the economy of Mexico, but unfortunately their government is so corrupt, more than likely any thing we did in that regard would go to bolster the pocket books of the politicians rather than the common people. So the only real solution I see is to build a wall. The only way you are going to get that to fly by the special interest groups is if you offer amnesty to those already here as a part of the proposal. I'm actually for this, as they would then be paying taxes on the money they are earning, so they would not be such a drain on the economy. I would also make it understood if this is done, that all illegals that are granted amnesty have 1 year to learn English, if they do that give them citizenship, if not hey are automatically deported. Any illegals that come over after amnesty is granted would be automatically deported. Any illegal that commits a crime before granted citizenship is automatically deported. The biggest problem I see is that it is too easy to get into this country, and the politicians don't have the balls to enforce the laws already written. By granting amnesty, then hopefully the politicians can appease the special interest groups enough to where they can enforce the laws.

4. I'm for smaller government, so I'd like to see a freeze on spending increases until such time as the national debt is paid off. I'd even be in favor of a 5% tax increase on all income over $20,000 or whatever is considered the poverty level until such time as the national debt is paid off provided that part of the tax package if spending is increased the tax is eliminated, and that the moment we pay of the national debt the tax sunsets.

5. I'm not usually one for government restrictions, but unfortunately the average American is too stupid for his/her own good. I'd like to see all adjustable rate mortgages out lawed. Most people who get ARMs can not afford a conventional mortgage, and my feeling is if you can't afford it, then you are trying to buy to much house. I'm not for the government getting into the affairs of individuals, but I don't see this as an individual issue, as it will be the tax payers who are bailing out either the home owners or the mortgage companies, as mass failures will have a huge negative impact on the economy and thus all of us. Similarly I'd like to see a cap on credit card interest rates. The credit card companies say they need these huge rates to make up for non payment, well I say stop sending pre-approved cards to college freshmen.

6. I'd like to see us go to a hybrid socialized medicine program. We already have socialized medicine in America anyway, just most people don't realize it. The reason medical care is two fold, one litigation, but even greater than that is because of the number of people that don't pay their bills. In an attempt to make up for the 35-40% of bills that are not paid, hospitals increase the cost of tests and procedures. Those of us that pay for our health insurance are already subsidizing those that go to the ER with a case of the sniffles and don't pay their bill. I'd like to see a hybrid of socialized medicine where the government pays for medical treatment of everyone, unless you decided to opt out of government paid health care in which case you can deduct you health insurance premiums from your taxes provided you can show proof of insurance. That way if you like the private system, then you can stick with it, and get some credit for on your taxes for your insurance premiums, but if you don't buy insurance then the government taxes you for health insurance. I'd also like to see the sin tax on alcohol and tobacco increased as well as and additional 5-10% tax on fast food.

7. With regard to Iraq, I'd like to see our boys and girls come home as soon as possible, but I wouldn't want to set a time line on it. It needs to be objective based. We just need to clearly define the objectives. At this point it would be a disaster if we were to up and pull out. We need to try to stabilize the country, and then get out.

Totally agree here. We need someone with a clue regarding foreign relations. We are creating more enemies than we are killing at this point.

Huge issue for me as will is this countries energy/environmental policy. I am not one who thinks everything needs to be wind or solar tommorow (although that would be nice) but endorse a heavy mix of nuclear as well. We need change now and this is the best short term solution at this point IMO. I think regulations on vehicle emissions is pretty important as well. Electric cars being the quickest short term solution while we make more complicated systems viable.

3. Illegal aliens (I favor given illegals NOTHING - and I mean NOTHING).

I say business as usuall. Illegals are a bouy to the economy (much as slavery was in the founding of this country). We would take an enormous economic setback if we sent all the illegals packing tomorrow. But I dont think they should be afforded any luxuries like free public education or healthcare and would go as far as denying any undocumented alien care in ER's.

4. Economy - primarily gasoline prices, but again, that's part of my first two points.

As long as we're beholden to the Middle East, Russia and Venezuela for our primary form of transporting goods and people within this country we are going to continue to feel the 100$/barrel crunch that we are these days. Its only going to get worse. Something needs to done about the foreclosure crisis affecting the economy. I have no idea where to begin. We need to even the playing field with China and as a people need to start accepting higher prices for more durable goods produced locally. It will help the economy in the long run. Taxes probably need to be raised for a while as well to help us out of this war debt hole we have ourselves in now. Those bombs aint free.

5. Back to middle east - I do want us out of Iraq asap, but we've managed to muddle things so much, it would have to be done prudently. I don't have an answer to this one, but if someone running does, it would certainly go into my thought process when deciding who to vote for.

I like the Biden plan for Iraq. In a nurtshell, split up Iraq into Sunni, Athenae and Kurdish provinces and keep a skeleton crew of around 20,000 in the general region. Keep handling business in Afghanistan and catch MotherFuc*in BinLaden and his luitennants. When is the last time we got any good news about a high ranking AlQueda member being captured or killed? We need to keep up the political engagement with Iran and forget this whole "Axis of Evil" nonsense. The true Axis, if in facrt there is one, is much more clandestine and descreet than Kim Jong and Mahmood. We need to be a little more isolationist for a decade or so and pay off our international war debt and rebuild a thin millitary. China/Taiwan/Japan looms, we need to be ready.

You know, when Clinton actually was president, he was accused of waffling on issues based on what direction the prevailing opinion was at the time. In retrospect, isn't that what we want our president to do - govern based upon the will of the people? I would probably actually vote for him again if he were to run and that's saying something for me.

:D Me too.

Another thing taht no one talks about is our Space policy. I think we need to open up the channels of investment in Lunar exploration, colonization and eventual cultivation (heavy metals, helium3). I believe it is our number one duty as a species, at this point in our evolution, to start becoming at least partially autonomous from the Earth. We also need some kind of permanant rapid response force to eliminate any threats to our satelites. They are crucial to our millitary strategy and China already has the capability to intercept and incapacitate our "high ground".

:D So, whos voting for Demon in '08? :wacko::D

4. I'm for smaller government, so I'd like to see a freeze on spending increases until such time as the national debt is paid off. I'd even be in favor of a 5% tax increase on all income over $20,000 or whatever is considered the poverty level until such time as the national debt is paid off provided that part of the tax package if spending is increased the tax is eliminated, and that the moment we pay of the national debt the tax sunsets.

Wow, me an Perch actually agree on something. And I also agreee with your assessment on ARM's. Good stuff. :D

As to reducing our dependency on foreign oil, I'm all for it. But don't even begin to think that will remove the perceived need for us to meddle in the Middle East. Until that last barrel is pumped out of the ground somone in the US Gov't will either try to keep it for ourselves, make money on it, keep it from China, or all of the above. With the Chinese economy growing at the rate that it is, it will be in the US "best interests" to have a presence in the Middle East, at least for our lifetimes.

This unfortunately is diametrically opposed to a foreign policy that isn't designed to piss off 90% of the world by spreading American hegemony throughout the world. I don't think we can have it both ways. We either continue to play Big Brother and step into everybodies business or we atttempt to be a good citizen and let other countries go about their stuff. I just can't see us backing off.

As to reducing our dependency on foreign oil, I'm all for it. But don't even begin to think that will remove the perceived need for us to meddle in the Middle East. Until that last barrel is pumped out of the ground somone in the US Gov't will either try to keep it for ourselves, make money on it, keep it from China, or all of the above. With the Chinese economy growing at the rate that it is, it will be in the US "best interests" to have a presence in the Middle East, at least for our lifetimes.

This unfortunately is diametrically opposed to a foreign policy that isn't designed to piss off 90% of the world by spreading American hegemony throughout the world. I don't think we can have it both ways. We either continue to play Big Brother and step into everybodies business or we atttempt to be a good citizen and let other countries go about their stuff. I just can't see us backing off.

I hear ya, but I do think there's an enormous difference between us "meddling" in the middle east and what we're doing now which is stamping all over it.

Like Perch, I am way into eliminating the budget deficit and then working on the debt ... right behind getting the F out of Iraq while cutting our losses and protecting our interests to the greatest extent possible ...

50 years from now........going into iraq will be looked at as a very smart move.

That's like saying the Redskins are better because of Sean Taylor's death.

Like saying our Civil War brought us all together.

If they had listened to Coilin Powell or done this well maybe, but even if the Iraqis get tired of killing each other the country is still populated with people that have hated each other for centuries. Millions (the more successful people) left and every family has lost several family members.

We still remember the Civil War. 50 years? Not a chance.

for me it is illegals, but I have a different stance on it. We will never stop illegal immigration completely. There are only two ways we are going to slow it down significantly. One approach would be to try to bolster the economy of Mexico, but unfortunately their government is so corrupt, more than likely any thing we did in that regard would go to bolster the pocket books of the politicians rather than the common people. So the only real solution I see is to build a wall.

Third approach - penalize the employers. While it is true there is corruption in Mexico, there is also corruption here, just not so much in the brown paper bags filled with cash way. Our government is bought and paid for, both sides of the aisle.

Can't disagree with this.

5. I'm not usually one for government restrictions, but unfortunately the average American is too stupid for his/her own good. I'd like to see all adjustable rate mortgages out lawed. Most people who get ARMs can not afford a conventional mortgage, and my feeling is if you can't afford it, then you are trying to buy to much house. I'm not for the government getting into the affairs of individuals, but I don't see this as an individual issue, as it will be the tax payers who are bailing out either the home owners or the mortgage companies, as mass failures will have a huge negative impact on the economy and thus all of us. Similarly I'd like to see a cap on credit card interest rates. The credit card companies say they need these huge rates to make up for non payment, well I say stop sending pre-approved cards to college freshmen.

Not so sure about this. Other countries have ARMs pretty much as their standard mortgage and seem to do OK. This is a personal responsibility and also a business responsibility. Business needs to be less greedy and more careful, likewise people. As for CCs, again that's a personal and business responsibility.

6. I'd like to see us go to a hybrid socialized medicine program. We already have socialized medicine in America anyway, just most people don't realize it. The reason medical care is two fold, one litigation, but even greater than that is because of the number of people that don't pay their bills. In an attempt to make up for the 35-40% of bills that are not paid, hospitals increase the cost of tests and procedures. Those of us that pay for our health insurance are already subsidizing those that go to the ER with a case of the sniffles and don't pay their bill. I'd like to see a hybrid of socialized medicine where the government pays for medical treatment of everyone, unless you decided to opt out of government paid health care in which case you can deduct you health insurance premiums from your taxes provided you can show proof of insurance. That way if you like the private system, then you can stick with it, and get some credit for on your taxes for your insurance premiums, but if you don't buy insurance then the government taxes you for health insurance. I'd also like to see the sin tax on alcohol and tobacco increased as well as and additional 5-10% tax on fast food.

Not a big fan of nanny state taxes. I don't think there's anywhere near enough play given to the fact that our health system is so massively expensive because of the gigantic bureaucracy surrounding it. Although this is the main knock on government involvement, it's a known and shown fact that the socialized countries of Europe provide comparable and in some cases better care for a chitload less money.

7. With regard to Iraq, I'd like to see our boys and girls come home as soon as possible, but I wouldn't want to set a time line on it. It needs to be objective based. We just need to clearly define the objectives. At this point it would be a disaster if we were to up and pull out. We need to try to stabilize the country, and then get out.

Agreed - a timeline would be stupid unless it's associated with objectives.

:D

Am I the only person here who is aware that most of our oil does NOT come from the Middle East?

No, but the fact that you would even say that shows you need to read up on how oil is bought and traded through the markets and who sets the baseline price for a barrel of oil...who REALLY controls inventory...etc..etc...etc. After you have done the necessary reading, you will find out that OPEC and specifically the Middle Eastern representation within OPEC controls the prices and production levels...basically controlling supply and demand. So, oil from south america will be artifically inflated because OPEC is underproducing...etc..etc..etc. Look at it this way, it doesn't matter that California doesn't buy it grain from IOWA....if IOWA has a grain shortage, or just plain decides to not produce as much grain....California's price for grain is going up...period. The total supply of grain has been manipulated and therefore has an effect on all markets grain is sold.

I would be in favor of the following...

Economy - Keep taxes on businesses low. Everybody needs a job. Give further tax breaks to businesses who provide healh insurance for their employees. Increase taxes on businesses that outsource a certain percentage of jobs to foreign countries.

Healthcare - Scrap any plans for nationalized mandatory healthcare. It'll be a massive drain on the economy and will result in high unemployment. It'll also exacerbate the illegal immigation problem. Instead, expand Medicare and Medicaid with increased federal funding, with the funding for each state being dependent on its own needs (e.g., California and Wyoming don't get the same amount). Fund this with a luxury tax on vehicles over $40,000 and homes over $750,000 and a sin tax on alcohol and tobacco products. Also impose a modest income tax increase (maybe 2%) on households with taxable (not gross) income over maybe $60,000 and a little more (maybe 4%) on those with taxable income over $125,000. I'm not a fan of taxes in general, but there has got to be a way to help those in need without putting people out of work.

Energy/Environment - Phase out coal-burning plants. Invest more in alternative energy sources (solar, wind, etc.) and possibly even go back to nuclear power.

Illegal Immigation - Put the National Guard on the border, distribute (free) National ID card to citizens and, perhaps most importantly, penalize the hell out of businesses who hire illegals. Massive fines for first-time offenders and the loss of their business license for repeat offenders. Do not grant automatic citizenship for "anchor babies." Instead, require that at least one of the biological parents is a US citizen. For the 12 million+ already here, give them a chance to enroll in a citizenship program that requires them to learn basic English and civics. Also, require that they pay a fine. Those that fail to comply are subject to arrest/deportation.

Social Security - What a f'n mess. Either divert all of it towards funding Medicare/Medicaid or allow people to establish personal retirement accounts.

Iraq - Another mess. Begin moving troops out by this time next year and give the Iraqi government their chance to sink or swim. We can't babysit them forever and, most importantly, we can't keep paying for their problems with our own blood.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Social Security - What a f'n mess. Either divert all of it towards funding Medicare/Medicaid or allow people to establish personal retirement accounts.

I don't think it is a mess at all. It will be if action isn't taken but private accounts are not the answer. The answer, IMO, is three-fold:

Repackage SS as a mandatory insurance policy, not an entitlement

Take the cap up to a meaningful level e.g. $200k or even make it limitless

Means test the end result - if you don't need it, you don't get it. Use a sliding scale.

I don't think it is a mess at all. It will be if action isn't taken but private accounts are not the answer. The answer, IMO, is three-fold:

Repackage SS as a mandatory insurance policy, not an entitlement

Take the cap up to a meaningful level e.g. $200k or even make it limitless

Means test the end result - if you don't need it, you don't get it. Use a sliding scale.

Not sure I completely agree, but your idea isn't a bad one. The key is to stop Congress from misappropriating the funding.

Means test the end result - if you don't need it, you don't get it.

I call BS on this one. What's fair in that? I pay my whole life and maybe have done well enough to not need some of that money back, so therefore I don't get what is rightfully mine whereas some schlep fails miserably in life and he gets my money? Sorry, but I ain't buyin'. Nah... I have no interest in that idea at all.

Topics of interest for me:

1. Out of Iraq in 2 years. Just do it already.

2. There needs to be a severe overhaul of the healthcare system in this country. There is no reason that quality healthcare should be this expensive. I'm not saying that we should recieve free healthcare, like in Canada (which doesn't work anyway), but everyone from the hospitals to the insurance companies should be forced to adhere to strict caps on pricing of services. The way it is now seems too arbitrary for me. Also, I think a federal program should be put into place to pay for people to obtain the education and experience to become good doctors and nurses. We have to give people the incentive to want to do this work.

3. I want a president who is ready to FORCE policy for creating new energy sources, not just talk about it.

4. More cowbell.

I call BS on this one. What's fair in that? I pay my whole life and maybe have done well enough to not need some of that money back, so therefore I don't get what is rightfully mine whereas some schlep fails miserably in life and he gets my money? Sorry, but I ain't buyin'. Nah... I have no interest in that idea at all.

So let it go bankrupt, I couldn't give a $hit.

Great example of the me-me-me mentality

Edited by Ursa Majoris