[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I need to start a corporation in Texas

polksalet

How do I go about this?? How/when do I start a bank account for the business? Can I go ahead and open it and change the info later?

I dont know about Texas but when I did it in NYC, I needed to get a TAX ID # AND register the business in a state before the bank would give me an account.

Quick google gave me this..dont know if its helpful but

http://www.governor.state.tx.us/ecodev/sba/guide

Edited by MrTed46

You can find the necessary forms to create an entity on Texas' secretary of state's website. After you file those documents you can open a bank account in the entity's name. Not sure why you want a corporation (because of double taxation) but you'd certainly need to file a form SS-4 with the IRS to obtain a taxpayer ID # for it. You may want to consider a limited liability company, instead. If it is a single member LLC the IRS treats you and the LLC as the same taxpayer (so you report its earnings on your own tax return, and would not need to file the Form SS-4). But you still get the benefit of liability protection.

If you have others who are working with you as equity owners you may consider a partnership, or an LLC that is taxed like a partnership. Figuring out what kind of entity you really want will determine what forms need to be filed with the Texas secretary of state.

Depending on what you want to do, you may then opt to have a partnership agreement/shareholder's agreement drafted to define the terms and conditions of how the entity will run. You don't technically need one, but they are highly recommended if you have other owners involved. If you choose not to have one you will merely be subject to default Texas law. That's not a bad thing. It just means you don't have the opportunity to elect anything different on numerous small issues.

After that, you need to fund the entity with whatever cash or property you want in there. Depending on how complex your operations are, you may want to get a CPA involved to make sure all the accounting and tax compliance are done correctly. Again, not "required," but highly recommended.

Edited by yo mama