[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Pres. Caucus

BeeR

Well?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. So who would you probably vote for if they get the nomination?

• Clinton
    • Obama
    • Edwards
    • Other Dem (name)
    • Huckabee
    • McCain
    • Romney
    • Paul
    • Other Rep (name)

A snippet from the Obama web site:

That's just the tax piece, there's a ton more on the economy on the same page.

thanks UM - damn, I'm gonna have to trade some tv time tonight to surf some of these sites now. Is there a site somewhere that features some top econ minds comparing and contrasting the candidates' plans? (and where's wiegie??) That would be very nice....

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Nice way to dead end a discussion. While Carter started the funding he wasn't the one bringing radical muslims from around the world

Radical muslims were the ones being armed under the Carter administration. Islamofascists issued a fatwah a full year and a half before Reagan took the Oath. This is where bin Laden's terrorist career began.

When the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in 1979, Azzam issued a fatwa, Defense of the Muslim Lands, the First Obligation after Faith [7] declaring that both the Afghan and Palestinian struggles were jihads in which killing occupiers of your land (no matter what their faith) was fard ayn (a personal obligation) for all Muslims. The edict was supported by Saudi Arabia's Grand Mufti (highest religious scholar), Abd al-Aziz Bin Bazz.

In Pakistan in 1980, Azzam began to teach at International Islamic University in Islamabad. Soon thereafter, he moved from Islamabad to Peshawar, closer to the Afghan border, where he then established Maktab al-Khadamat (Services Office) to organize guest houses in Peshawar and paramilitary training camps in Afghanistan to prepare international recruits for the Afghan war front.... After Osama bin Laden graduated from the university in Jeddah in 1981, he also came to live for a time in Peshawar, "Azam prevailed on him to come and use his money" for training recruits, according to Rahimullah Yusufzai, executive editor of the English-language daily The News International. [8]

:D

or leaving them behind after the Russians left. They should have been de briefed and returned to their home countries.

So, are you saying that Reagan should've invaded Afghanistan to take their assault rifles and RPGs back? I hope not, because that would never work.

Like I said there was a lot of blame to go around, but you blame only Clinton.

No, you made an ill-informed comment about Clinton being more effective at combating terrorism than Bush. And now you're making a stupid straw man argument to try to get out of it.

There are a myriad of very valid criticisms that one could make of the Bush administration. Try using one of those next time, rather than making something up to prop up Clinton.

Blaa Bllaa Blaa LULU

give it a rest.

This is a new election Bush is not running.

check the title of the thread.

your stick is old. We need a change That change is LULU to quite blaming everything that happens in this world on Rove and Bush.

You lost the election -get over it.-

The goal was to Protect American soli. The goal was to control the Middle east.

Mission accomplished

The middle east may not be stable but we own it.

Now back to the election

Beautiful. And so much greater when you have this playing in the background like I did when reading it. :usa

thanks UM - damn, I'm gonna have to trade some tv time tonight to surf some of these sites now. Is there a site somewhere that features some top econ minds comparing and contrasting the candidates' plans? (and where's wiegie??) That would be very nice....

To be honest, I found it a bit thin. I like Obama a lot but there's really insufficient here to go on. He has that in common with all the other candidates, IMO. I also would like to see a neutral assessment of each aspect of each candidate side by side - good luck with finding "neutral" in this day and age though.

To address this, do we really need to spend more on defense than the entire rest of the world combined? Because that's what we do.

As far as addressing terrorists, that's best done by a combination of excellent intelligence and surgical military strikes, asking permission of no-one and destroying just the terrorists. Tank divisions and battleships are crappy against terrorists.

So...can we convince some others to help and not have to do it all ourselves? I sure hope so, but aside from maybe England, Australia & Canada, most others are pussies. I agree with the tank part, not sure about the boat part. Since others (i.e. Israel) are good with tanks and planes too, carriers and battleships are what distinguish our military from most others in the world...

Edit to add: our Air Force and special ops guys are pretty cool too...

Edited by Coffeeman

I dont have a problem with the economy.

I did not run up my credit cards. I pay them off monthly.

My cars are paid for.

Taxes are incredibly low for all.

I finance my house with a good fixed rate.

everyone I know has a job.

everyone I know has health care except for a few that CHOOSE not to.

Have never seen a hospital turn away a sick person.

free lunch and free breakfast still going strong at the public schools.

methadone clinics are in full swing. those people happy.

Section 8 still paying rent.

So...can we convince some others to help and not have to do it all ourselves? I sure hope so, but aside from maybe England, Australia & Canada, most others are pussies. I agree with the tank part, not sure about the boat part. Since others (i.e. Israel) are good with tanks and planes too, carriers and battleships are what distinguish our military from most others in the world...

Edit to add: our Air Force and special ops guys are pretty cool too...

If you're talking anti-terrorist, special ops is where it's at, along with Cruise missiles and SMART weapons where required, all coupled to an efficient and accurate intelligence system. Sure, we still need a large Navy and a conventional force but Rumsfeld actually had it right when he was talking about a lean fast force, considering the enemies that actually exist right now. Special ops and cruise won't help much in an occupation operation like Iraq though so the question is what do we want to afford and where are the $$$ best spent?

...all coupled to an efficient and accurate intelligence system....so the question is what do we want to afford and where are the $$$ best spent?

I think you answered your own Q. I think it may take trillions to build that part!

Obama needs to take a class in economics. (Seriously... some of his proposals sound like stuff that my introductory macroeconomics students think are a good idea when they first come into my classes.)

I really really want to like him but if I vote for him (which I still might do) it will be in spite of the distaste I have for some of his economic proposals.

Anybody know who his economic advisors are?

Obama needs to take a class in economics. (Seriously... some of his proposals sound like stuff that my introductory macroeconomics students think are a good idea when they first come into my classes.)

I really really want to like him but if I vote for him (which I still might do) it will be in spite of the distaste I have for some of his economic proposals.

Some kids from your intro econ class....

i like listening to obama talk, but every time he goes into any detail at all on his economic policies, i wince. hell, every time he goes into detail on almost ANYTHING, i wince. i dunno, the more i learn about the guy, the less i think of his policies. he seems to be getting by on "image" and a lot of hot air about "hope" and "change".

Those under 78k in houshold income are included in his tax cuts. Per an interview I saw with him this morning.

So if you make more than 78k combined household he considers you rich? That's a friggin joke, especially in places where cost of living is high.

So if you make more than 78k combined household he considers you rich? That's a friggin joke, especially in places where cost of living is high.

Well, if he's not smart enough to vary this threshold by state, or even by county in big states like CA, he's not smart enough to run my country...

Well, if he's not smart enough to vary this threshold by state, or even by county in big states like CA, he's not smart enough to run my country...

well, the tax code doesn't currently discriminate on that basis in deterniming its income thresholds and never has. but it would be interesting to consider whether it should. :D