[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling All Dead Heads

DemonKnight

i counted 8, how do you break it down?

66-69 psycodelic albums and acid tests

70-72 tangible songwriting and more coherent live shows

73-75 album theme oriented writing and the emergence of the typical live show

76-77 the dead in full song writing stride and live shows that are arguably their best

78-82 the 'disco dead' era followed up with their only 'hit' and some acoustic influence

83-86 a down time with no albums and the shows lacked the old spirit, the masses had arrived

87-90 their final songwriting studio push and more technical gaget orinted shows

91-96 the waning years, jerry's health was an issue and the shows were hit or miss

66-72- The Pigpen years

73-78 The Godchaux's

79-88 I don't see much of a change in them other than the usual different keyboard player

89-94- see above

Did you go to many of those shows that "lacked the old spirit" and "are arguably their best"

Without the inspired marketing gimmic of making their concerts essentially police-protected venues for illegal drug use resulting in public defecation and irresponsible sex in cars, tents, and shrubbery, I'm not sure they would have been anything beyond a mediocre garage band ... :D

:D:D:wacko:

So from what I've read so far I am really intrigued by Anthem of the Sun. The ammount of collaberation with talented artists that went into the creation of the Dead as an entity is amazing. So they had 2 drummers at that time (Mickey and Billy), two guitarists (Bob and Jerry), a keyboardist/vocalist (Pig) and basist (Phil). Not to mention all the offstage help (Hunter the Poet and Bear the sound artist, alchemist and financeur). And the epic scene they were a part of.

Will we ever get such a confluence of artistic stimuli and naive, leftist, communal trust? Will anyone ever again have the luxury of thinking they can make the kind of positive impact on global soceity that the youth of that era did? Are we all too burdened by CNN negativity spam to imagine that our individual goodness will be returned? I feel shafted.

The problem I had growing up with GenX "Deadheads" was that while, as a counterculture that espoused the virtues that made the San Francisco scene unique in history (acceptance, individuality and artistic expression), all of the so called "hippies" I was exposed to loved the image but lacked the ethic grounding. 90% of the GenX "hippies" I was exposed to were rich, spoiled, costco granola eating, judgemental white kids. Not the cast away, too intelligent, thinker/seeker type that was supposed to be thier archtype.

/rantover

So from what I've read so far I am really intrigued by Anthem of the Sun. The ammount of collaberation with talented artists that went into the creation of the Dead as an entity is amazing. So they had 2 drummers at that time (Mickey and Billy), two guitarists (Bob and Jerry), a keyboardist/vocalist (Pig) and basist (Phil). Not to mention all the offstage help (Hunter the Poet and Bear the sound artist, alchemist and financeur). And the epic scene they were a part of.

Will we ever get such a confluence of artistic stimuli and naive, leftist, communal trust? Will anyone ever again have the luxury of thinking they can make the kind of positive impact on global soceity that the youth of that era did? Are we all too burdened by CNN negativity spam to imagine that our individual goodness will be returned? I feel shafted.

The problem I had growing up with GenX "Deadheads" was that while, as a counterculture that espoused the virtues that made the San Francisco scene unique in history (acceptance, individuality and artistic expression), all of the so called "hippies" I was exposed to loved the image but lacked the ethic grounding. 90% of the GenX "hippies" I was exposed to were rich, spoiled, costco granola eating, judgemental white kids. Not the cast away, too intelligent, thinker/seeker type that was supposed to be thier archtype.

/rantover

ha the reason so many heads made money was because of the wanker gen x gang who were there to party but had not a clue... the real seen was sumthing else to behold..... never to come again.... phish tried it for a bit but with out the 60/70 crowd its not there...

peaches by the bucket with out them i could never have traveled as much and a far as i did for 2 summers....... nuthing like a little jewish girl form new york to buy gas a food and Josh Gordon for a bunch of heads who had nuthing ..... :D

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

This thread prompted me to spend about 5 hours this weekend compiling, IMO, the most comprehensive 25 song Dead sampler ever! The sound quality varies but each selection was determined by uniquness and sound quality, with sound quality trumping the former. So the quality is way above average for bootlegs . The compilation spans the years 68-79 and is almost in perfect cronological order. Everything is derived from bootlegs, nothing is studio nor live studio releases, only bootlegs. Send me your address DemonKnight.

Here's the setlist for any that are curious:

Casey Jones

New Speedway Boogie

Alligator

Cumberland Blues

Mr. Charlie

Hard to Handle

They Love Each Other

Tennessee Jed

Goin Down the Road and Feelin Bad

Not Fade Away

Eyes of the World

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Big River

Scarlet Begonias

Estimated Prophet

Jack-a-Roe

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Stagger Lee

Samson & Delilah

Terrapin Station

Althea

Dancing in the Streets

Franklin's Tower

E2A: setlist (updated)

Edited by Brentastic

This thread prompted me to spend about 5 hours this weekend compiling, IMO, the most comprehensive 25 song Dead sampler ever! The sound quality varies but each selection was determined by uniquness and sound quality, with sound quality trumping the former. So the quality is way above average for bootlegs . The compilation spans the years 68-79 and is almost in perfect cronological order. Everything is derived from bootlegs, nothing is studio nor live studio releases, only bootlegs. Send me your address DemonKnight.

Casey Jones

New Speedway Boogie

Alligator

Cumberland Blues

Mr. Charlie

Hard to Handle

They Love Each Other

Tennessee Jed

Not Fade Away

Eyes of the World

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Big River

Scarlet Begonias

Estimated Prophet

Jack-a-Roe

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Stagger Lee

Samson & Delilah

Terrapin Station

Althea

Dancing in the Streets

Franklin's Tower

E2A: setlist

hey send that along with the ZEp :D

Casey Jones

New Speedway Boogie

Alligator

Cumberland Blues

Mr. Charlie

Hard to Handle

They Love Each Other

Tennessee Jed

Not Fade Away

Eyes of the World

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Big River

Scarlet Begonias

Estimated Prophet

Jack-a-Roe

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Stagger Lee

Samson & Delilah

Terrapin Station

Althea

Dancing in the Streets

Franklin's Tower

No Viola Lee Blues? That sounds like the quintesential early Dead song from what I'm reading.

No Viola Lee Blues? That sounds like the quintesential early Dead song from what I'm reading.

That might be my favorite early Dead song and I actually had it on the mix initially - when I went to burn the disc I was 75MB over and with you being a 'newbie' to the Dead I decided to remove that song - the only version I have clocks in at 20 minutes so that is 20MB right there. I already burned the disc too :D

Edited by Brentastic

Casey Jones

New Speedway Boogie

Alligator

Cumberland Blues

Mr. Charlie

Hard to Handle

They Love Each Other

Tennessee Jed

Not Fade Away

Eyes of the World

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Big River

Scarlet Begonias

Estimated Prophet

Jack-a-Roe

Dupree's Diamond Blues

Stagger Lee

Samson & Delilah

Terrapin Station

Althea

Dancing in the Streets

Franklin's Tower

Pretty good mix.

I would have left of Dancin for Black Peter but that's just me.

A full Help-> Slip-> Frankin's would og been nice too but you start to fill up the CD too fast.

Nice job!

Pretty good mix.

I would have left of Dancin for Black Peter but that's just me.

A full Help-> Slip-> Frankin's would og been nice too but you start to fill up the CD too fast.

Nice job!

I wanted to do the Help/slip/Franklin's but then I found the Dancin>Franklin's from 1979 and the version of Franklin's is this crazy disco/funk that is sooo unique for that song so I had to do that combo instead. Like you said, the disc fills up quick and I was trying to find good sound quality too - a lot of parameters determined the setlist, which, btw, has been adjusted above.

I went to a number of Dead concerts, which included 5 years in a row going to their New Years Eve concerts, and owned their albums, but their music to me just wasn't the same as watching it live (often stoned, but not always). So, I never listened to their albums much. I have their New Years Eve DVD, a concert I attended, so usually watch it every New Years.

The most memorable was getting back stage at the Frost Amphitheater at Stanford University. Joan Baez (a casual aquaintance of mine at the time), got me back stage but I had to bring her son Gabe with me, who was 12 at the time. He had no interest in the music but wanted to hang out with Mickey Hart in hopes Mickey would invite him back to his place again to ride dirt bikes. Mickey, on the otherhand, paid attention to Gabe, 'cause he had the hots for Joannie and thought being a father figure to Gabe would win her heart-which it didn't. Bill Walton was there and Bill Graham, there was free food, but backstage you couldn't really see or hear the concert. Gabe ended up becoming a big Deadhead, so I'd like to think I had some influence. He also ended up with a big drug problem as well-which I didn't have anything to do with-that happened at boarding school in Vermont.

Did you go to many of those shows that "lacked the old spirit" and "are arguably their best"

09/02/83

Boise Pavillion - Boise, ID

Set 1:

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack Straw

They Love Each Other

Mama Tried

Big River

Brown-Eyed Women

New Minglewood Blues

Big Railroad Blues

Looks Like Rain

Deal

Set 2:

Help On The Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Estimated Prophet

Eyes Of The World

Drums

Throwin' Stones

Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad

Black Peter

Sugar Magnolia

09/02/83

Boise Pavillion - Boise, ID

Set 1:

Wang Dang Doodle

Jack Straw

They Love Each Other

Mama Tried

Big River

Brown-Eyed Women

New Minglewood Blues

Big Railroad Blues

Looks Like Rain

Deal

Set 2:

Help On The Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Estimated Prophet

Eyes Of The World

Drums

Throwin' Stones

Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad

Black Peter

Sugar Magnolia

That's a pretty standard set list for that period even though the Brown-Eyed Women was a touch rare at that time as was the Wang Dang Doodle. I always liked the Help>Slip>Franklin's as a 2nd set opener. I can't believe that they did a Sugar Mag as the encore so the boys had a fair bit of energy that night. BTW, the encore was It's All Over Now Baby Blue, one of the Dylan songs they did. I was never particularly fond of that as a closer.

That's a pretty standard set list for that period even though the Brown-Eyed Women was a touch rare at that time as was the Wang Dang Doodle. I always liked the Help>Slip>Franklin's as a 2nd set opener. I can't believe that they did a Sugar Mag as the encore so the boys had a fair bit of energy that night. BTW, the encore was It's All Over Now Baby Blue, one of the Dylan songs they did. I was never particularly fond of that as a closer.

they love each other and minglwood were my favs and rare at the time. the looks like rain at the end of the 1st was the only downer.

the help/slip/franklins/est/eyes was on fire and it was the first time they ever did throwing stones. it was a sit down concert and my buddy and i were the only two standing and we were on the rail on bobbys side. we made major eye contact with the band and i know we pumped them up.

they love each other and minglwood were my favs and rare at the time. the looks like rain at the end of the 1st was the only downer.

the help/slip/franklins/est/eyes was on fire and it was the first time they ever did throwing stones. it was a sit down concert and my buddy and i were the only two standing and we were on the rail on bobbys side. we made major eye contact with the band and i know we pumped them up.

Were you even born by '83?