[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My one year old HATES to sleep

Menudo

As I said he just turned 3 and we're still using this system and even though he can open the door now by himself to get out of his room he hasn't even done it once before the lamp came on.

Well, I guess I went and put my big foot in my mouth because about 11:00 last night he was out of his room because "he couldn't find his bunny" and wondering if it was wake up time....

At any rate, it was pretty easy to get him back to bed, help him find the bunny, and remind him that wake up time is when the lamp comes on. Hopefully it'll stick but consistancy has always worked with him in the past.

if you go into his room too much at night, then YOU have established the pattern that this is what happens at night. so you put him to bed, he starts wailing, you come in and spend time with him, he's happy. YOU established the pattern, so YOU have to break it. as long as you know he's safe, i don't think it's wrong to let him cry it out a bit. tell him that you are not coming back into the room and then don't do it. after a couple of nights of this, both our boys knew that it was bedtime and they didn't have the fight in them any longer to try and drag it out.

now, some are vehemently against this because they always want to be sure nothing is wrong with the child, and i get that. we got to a point where we could tell if something was wrong or if they just wanted to play more.

the other important compliment to this is establishing that schedule. make sure that he is not sleeping too much during the day and that he has good activity every day. he should be and is tired at night, but if, again, the pattern is that night time is more play time, then he's going to follow the pattern.

good luck!

Cry it out. Someones suggestion who I believe they got from a Doctor's book who's name slips my mind is right. Start with a few minutes, go in there reassure them, go back in 10 minutes and so on and so forth. Going to take a couple of night but by the time the week's over he should be sleeping like a baby :wacko: all night.