[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USB Turntables

TimC

I still have my killer Kenwood stereo with purty decent turntable that still works great in my office. I have no idea how to hook up it up to the computer however so I'm thinking of getting one of these for around $120.

I worked in a record store in the mid 80s for about 2 years while in school and have some weird off the wall stuff that you'd never find in print today...or even on Napster. Would love to get this on CD to listen in the car on long road trips.

I still have my killer Kenwood stereo with purty decent turntable that still works great in my office. I have no idea how to hook up it up to the computer however so I'm thinking of getting one of these for around $120.

I worked in a record store in the mid 80s for about 2 years while in school and have some weird off the wall stuff that you'd never find in print today...or even on Napster. Would love to get this on CD to listen in the car on long road trips.

does the receiver your old turntable is hooked up to have a headphone jack? just run a cable from that to your soundcard (the red or blue hole will usually work). if the needle and everything is better on your older turntable, then you will end up capturing a better recording that way.

does the receiver your old turntable is hooked up to have a headphone jack? just run a cable from that to your soundcard (the red or blue hole will usually work). if the needle and everything is better on your older turntable, then you will end up capturing a better recording that way.

Yes, I have a headphone jack. You just run it between that? Weird. I'll give it a shot.

I have an ION ITTUSB. Had it for awhile now. Got 85% of my LPs recorded. No complaints whatsoever.

I also used a cable from my stereo, which is in another room, to a USB port for awhile. The nice thing about the USB turntable is that I can have it right next to the computer and make whatever cuts, fits, and starts that I want instead of running from room to room. The nice thing about the cable was that I could also record my cassettes.

I do use the software that came with the cable to do my recording. LPRecorder, Wave Corrector, and LPRipper. You will definitely want a Wave Corrector program no matter which way you go because you are going to get some static, clicks, etc. when recording.

Thanks Sky. I'm gonna try it first with the equipment I have since I _think_ my current turntable I already own may be better. I don't know. It's over 10 years old...but it's in the same room. :D

I went to Radio Shack :wacko: at lunch and bought the cable I needed to go from my sound card to Record Out according to this.

Now I'm researching the wave corrector programs. I found this article from PC World but they don't seem to really love any of the 3 they tested. They seem to like Microsoft Plus digital the best. Personally, I find it hard to believe Microsoft has anything "the best". As I said though...still looking.

Edited by TimC

Thanks Sky. I'm gonna try it first with the equipment I have since I _think_ my current turntable I already own may be better. I don't know. It's over 10 years old...but it's in the same room. :D

I went to Radio Shack :wacko: at lunch and bought the cable I needed to go from my sound card to Record Out according to this.

Now I'm researching the wave corrector programs. I found this article from PC World but they don't seem to really love any of the 3 they tested. They seem to like Microsoft Plus digital the best. Personally, I find it hard to believe Microsoft has anything "the best". As I said though...still looking.

you may already have perfectly capable software for doing this if you have any sort of CD/DVD burning software "suite", like roxio or nero.

I also used a cable from my stereo, which is in another room, to a USB port for awhile. The nice thing about the USB turntable is that I can have it right next to the computer and make whatever cuts, fits, and starts that I want instead of running from room to room. The nice thing about the cable was that I could also record my cassettes.

I just got a chuckle thinking of sky doing some RUN DMC vinyl DJ action wearing some adidas.

:wacko:

I just got a chuckle thinking of sky doing some RUN DMC vinyl DJ action wearing some adidas.

:D

I thought it was Reeboks with the straps :wacko:

You're both wrong... just some old tennie runners I got when I went to boot camp. Still good...no need to trade up. :D

I had to work at it though to get all those scratches out of that LP.

I bought my dad an Ion USB Turntable for Xmas. He likes it.

He can also run a turntable into his line/mic in port on his computer. The trick is getting the levels right because a turntable usually puts out an un-amplified signal. You may need a pre-amp or a mixer.

Don't buy software. Just download Audacity. It's free, and it's the same thing that comes with the Ion Turntable.

I got it hooked up to my old computer in my office last night. Works like a champ! Appreciate the help everyone.

It was weird hearing an album through my Klipsch computer speakers. They sound better than my old hugh Kenwood speakers. :D

I'll try Audacity, Atomic. I tried to use my Creative Sounblaster software and it didn't seem to work that well. The volume was too low and it didn't have the noise clearing I'll probably need.

Definitely a cool thing. I can't wait to burn some of these onto CD. :wacko:

Thanks all for the help.

• 1 year later...

I just stumbled across this.

Anyone used one of these? The really cool feature is it records directly to iPod (you can see the iPod mounted on it in the pic) as well as via USB. The included Gracenote software apparently analyzes the music and collects, song, artist and album info from the Internet. :wacko:

I'm thinking of laying out $300 for this but first I'd like to know if anyone has tried it.

I have a vintage Dual 1219 TT (circa 1972, top of the line back when, and is in perfect shape) and would prefer to use that, because at the end of the record it shuts off. To my knowledge the Ions and Numarks don't! I want to record w/o monitoring the dam thing. What interfaces/hardware tween the PC and TT are available? S/W also....

Good post!

Answers??