[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should I sell my Wal-Mart stock?

polksalet

The price seems to rock back and forth from 46-50 and never changes much other than that pattern. It is not really good for investment other than the 15% match week get at purchase time. I only have a little but I could use it to pay down some of the medical bills. Right now it is hovering around $50. What do you think?

The price seems to rock back and forth from 46-50 and never changes much other than that pattern. It is not really good for investment other than the 15% match week get at purchase time. I only have a little but I could use it to pay down some of the medical bills. Right now it is hovering around $50. What do you think?

The market's pretty range bound right now. It isn't really trending much. I would if you have bills that need to be paid with interest attached.

The market's pretty range bound right now. It isn't really trending much. I would if you have bills that need to be paid with interest attached.

+1

.. but it sounds like you have a gauranteed money maker there; sell at 50 then buy back at 46 over and over again! I don't advocate this but I did it back in the early 90's with Storage tech over and over agian... it would go up to a certain point and I would sell it would go bakc down and I would buy again. I made a ton of money, but got lucky!

Not enough information to make a valid reccomendation, nor am I a professional in financial advising.

Other factors (certainly far from an exhaustive list):

What, if any, interest is associated with the medical bills?

What, if any, additional debt is there, and at what interest rate?

What other investment options are there to consider. ie, sell the stock and place instead into more diversified options ie mutual funds, etc.?

What other options do you have for paying down the debt, either savings, income, etc.?

If medical bills are accruing interest at a rate that exceeds the growth you're seeing in the stock, you have to seriously consider it, assuming you don't have other sources of cash to pay those bills. My only hesitation lies in quantifying the income tax consequences (if any) associated with selling the stock. However, the capital gains rate is most likely never going to be lower than it is right now. So that's worth taking into consideration.

Not enough information to make a valid reccomendation, nor am I a professional in financial advising.

Other factors (certainly far from an exhaustive list):

What, if any, interest is associated with the medical bills?

What, if any, additional debt is there, and at what interest rate?

What other investment options are there to consider. ie, sell the stock and place instead into more diversified options ie mutual funds, etc.?

What other options do you have for paying down the debt, either savings, income, etc.?

The medical are not bearing interest so I guess it would be better to put it onto car and student loan notes. My main concern is selling while it is high. I don't think it will get much higher. I think a good investment strategy for us is to just buy, buy, buy, and get the 15% match and then ultimately sell high.

If medical bills are accruing interest at a rate that exceeds the growth you're seeing in the stock, you have to seriously consider it, assuming you don't have other sources of cash to pay those bills. My only hesitation lies in quantifying the income tax consequences (if any) associated with selling the stock. However, the capital gains rate is most likely never going to be lower than it is right now. So that's worth taking into consideration.

lol, I bet, no I KNOW, I have not made anymore than 15% profit on the amount. I kid you not, I bet I have around $50 per share in the stuff.

The medical are not bearing interest so I guess it would be better to put it onto car and student loan notes. My main concern is selling while it is high. I don't think it will get much higher. I think a good investment strategy for us is to just buy, buy, buy, and get the 15% match and then ultimately sell high.

Can you continue to buy with the 15% match even if you sell some or all of your current holdings?

If you can, does the interest rate on your car and student loans exceed what you are likely to earn on a diversified portfolio?

Can you continue to buy with the 15% match even if you sell some or all of your current holdings?

If you can, does the interest rate on your car and student loans exceed what you are likely to earn on a diversified portfolio?

Yep, I can continue buy with the match as long as my wife works there. I don't really have a portfolio. I am keyed in on reducing debt. I am one of those oddballs. When I get all of my debt paid off I will be able to invest a lot more effectively and at lower risk. My sister lost her house and is homelessat 50. I ain't letting that happen to us.

Yep, I can continue buy with the match as long as my wife works there. I don't really have a portfolio. I am keyed in on reducing debt. I am one of those oddballs. When I get all of my debt paid off I will be able to invest a lot more effectively and at lower risk. My sister lost her house and is homelessat 50. I ain't letting that happen to us.

Are you a Ramsey fan, Polk? Sounds like you got the snowball rolling.

Wal-Mart growth expected to slow again

By William Spain, MarketWatch

Last update: 6:41 p.m. EST Feb. 14, 2008

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- While Wal-Mart's fourth quarter profit is expected to show a double-digit profit rise on a per-share basis when it reports before the opening bell Tuesday, the retail behemoth's sales growth is beginning to sputter as the economic slowdown tightens it grip.

Wal-Mart (WMT) is expected to earn $1.02 a share on revenue of just under $107 billion for the three months ended January 31, according to the current average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Financial. For the same period a year ago, it earned 92 cents a share on revenue of $99.08 billion.

But in its most recent sales release, Wal-Mart Stores posted a measly 0.5% gain in same-store sales for January, below expectations of 2% growth - and it was supposed to be one of the winners in a down economy.

Then, late last month, it lowered prices by 10% to 30% on thousands of items in a move it said was to help shoppers save money against a backdrop of economic uncertainties. The savings were targeted especially at purchases for the Super Bowl weekend and were available while supplies lasted.

And that followed a move to cut prices on over 15,000 items during the holiday crush, along with an offer of no interest for 18 months on purchases of $250 or more with a Wal-Mart credit card. The strategy seemed to work, at least for a while, as the company outperformed many of its competitors, including archrival Target (TGT) during the crucial December sales period.

William Spain is a MarketWatch staff writer in Chicago.