[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins to release 7-time Pro Bowler Thoma

loyalboyd

Looks like the Cowboys might be interested in him. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/football/

another cowboys' writer's take FWIW :

Gyron Rogers, Alexandria, Va.: What do you think of the chances of Dallas acquiring Zach Thomas?

Mickey: Very little. Remember, Thomas finished the season suffering from after-affects from concussions. He even is thinking of retiring. Thomas also is just 5-11, 228 pounds, far too small to play inside in the 3-4 defense. Remember, he gets covered up in the 4-3, which allows him to function at such a smaller size. He also turns 35 in September. I'd think the Cowboys would pass, if for no other reason, medically.

another cowboys' writer's take FWIW :

Gyron Rogers, Alexandria, Va.: What do you think of the chances of Dallas acquiring Zach Thomas?

Mickey: Very little. Remember, Thomas finished the season suffering from after-affects from concussions. He even is thinking of retiring. Thomas also is just 5-11, 228 pounds, far too small to play inside in the 3-4 defense. Remember, he gets covered up in the 4-3, which allows him to function at such a smaller size. He also turns 35 in September. I'd think the Cowboys would pass, if for no other reason, medically.

The first thing that popped in my head when I heard this rumor was: Is Dallas running a 4-3 next season?

No link, but I heard on NFL Network that indeed the Pats offered him a contract. He's still going to visit with the Saints.

From KFFL

Patriots | Team offers Z. Thomas contract

Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:33:59 -0800

Albert Breer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the New England Patriots offered free-agent LB Zach Thomas (Dolphins) a contract Monday, Feb. 18, according to the NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

if they are releasing him it is probably because he wants to play elsewhere, otherwise I would think the Dolphins would have given him the chance to retire a Dolphin prior to being released. Wouldnt surprise me to see NE cast off Seau for Zach.

when i typed that i was really hoping i would be wrong...and still hold out that I will indeed be wrong...love zach, hate the pats

What I heard over the weekend, was that Zach called the Pats and set-up the meeting. The Pats were impressed with.... not sure what part would be surprising, Zach's always been a pretty stand up guy, but something struck with them and they were pleasantly surprised and offered him a contract.

It was interesting to hear though, Zach called and requested a visit. He was in town for two days.