[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SXSW 2008

darin3

At the recommendation of Clubby, I'm starting this thread to foster some discussion on the bands that will be at SXSW this year. If you're an "indie" music fan, please take a few minutes to peruse the list here and offer up a few bands that you would love to see.

For those of you that don't know, South by Southwest (SXSW) is a hugh industry-driven event (music, film, you name it) here in the city of Austin, TX. If you're in an "indie" band, you're in Austin for this week. Even if you're a bigger-name band (like REM, for example), you might make the trip. Speaking of REM, I know that I blasted them in a few threads here recently, but I just heard a track from their new album and I was actually diggin' it. Turns out one of the guys in the band is a client of my sister (she cuts hair in Hollywood, you freaks...) so we are getting backstage to see the band. That will be sweet.

Anyways, I'm sure Club's gonna chime in here. The bands are from anywhere and everywhere so there's a good chance you may recognize a few names. I'd appreciate the recommendations. And as Clubby did in '06, and I half-assed-ly did last year, I will be putting together a "mix" CD to highlight the very best of the festival.

Some names already on my list include: REM, Ice Cube (yeahhh boyyy), Nada Surf, MxPx (saw them last year at SXSW too), The English Beat, Adele (up and coming British singer-songwriter), Supersuckers and maybe even... :D Hanson (they're actually putting out some good tunes). And I believe one of the Huddle's own will be playing down here. We'll have to hear it from the horse's mouth though.

TIA!

:D:wacko:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest Recommendations:

DeVotchKa - I've seen them a few times, and it is a blast. Furious bouzoukis, accordians, Tubas, violins... it's a high energy spectacle of awesomeness.

Dr. Dog - I bought his last album, and it's a winner start to finish. I compare it to the Beatles, but it's not overly derivative.

Islands - I would love to see them live. Their songs are well composed and weird. "Return to the Sea" is their only released album, and it's great.

Secondary Recommendations:

In case Club hasn't already told you, Centro-Matic is pretty darn good.

White people love Del tha Funky Homosapien. I'd love to see him live some time.

Okkervil River is depressing, but really good.

Tertiary Recommendations:

I like one Aberfeldy song, but there was only one other track on their complete album that I would listen to.

My buddy Dave is a huge Junior Brown fan.

Abra Moore has a song that I liked a lot.

I know nothing about their music, but these are the best band names:

Care Bears on Fire

F**k Buttons

Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds

Kreamy 'Lectric Santa

Ringo Deathstarr

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

No Milton Mapes? Honestly?? They are from Austin, I thought..

Also disappointed that Slow Learner isn't on the list. Oh well.

Highest Recommendations:

DeVotchKa - I've seen them a few times, and it is a blast. Furious bouzoukis, accordians, Tubas, violins... it's a high energy spectacle of awesomeness.

Dr. Dog - I bought his last album, and it's a winner start to finish. I compare it to the Beatles, but it's not overly derivative.

Islands - I would love to see them live. Their songs are well composed and weird. "Return to the Sea" is their only released album, and it's great.

Secondary Recommendations:

In case Club hasn't already told you, Centro-Matic is pretty darn good.

White people love Del tha Funky Homosapien. I'd love to see him live some time.

Okkervil River is depressing, but really good.

Tertiary Recommendations:

I like one Aberfeldy song, but there was only one other track on their complete album that I would listen to.

My buddy Dave is a huge Junior Brown fan.

Abra Moore has a song that I liked a lot.

I know nothing about their music, but these are the best band names:

Care Bears on Fire

F**k Buttons

Kid Congo and the Pink Monkey Birds

Kreamy 'Lectric Santa

Ringo Deathstarr

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

No Milton Mapes? Honestly?? They are from Austin, I thought..

Also disappointed that Slow Learner isn't on the list. Oh well.

Thanks for the recommendations. Club recommended Okkervil River but we would have a scheduling conflict there. Plus, meh. Del the Funky Homosapien is on the tentative schedule but may have a scheduling conflict there, too (Mother Truckers or My Morning Jacket).

Tragedy - A Metal Tribute to the Bee Gees.

I think I'd have to check that out. . .

:wacko: That might be interesting.

REM Wednesday night at Stubbs will be classic. Hard to go wrong with food music combination. If they start seeling a CD of that show, pick me up a copy and I'll send you the $$.

I'd pick the following:

Grupo Fantasma 7:00 PM Thursday @ Lady Bird Lake

Okkervile River 11:00 PM Wednesday @Austin Music Hall. I'm not sure who you are seeing insted, but Kai King is also playing at this time but she's got a Thursday show too I saw

8:00 PM Wednesday I'd pick either Arrah and the Ferns at the Hilton Garden Inn or The Bad Rackets at Red Eye Fly. The Bad Rackets might be a better start to the weekend.

10:30 PM Wedsenday I'd catch at least a little Jim Bianco at the Parrish.

1:00 AM CentroMatic except you are at Stubbs. REM @ Stubbs is the ONLY legitimate excuse for missing Centro Matic. Ola Podrida is also plaing at 1:00.

7:00 PM Thursday I'd see Grupo Fantasma

9:00 PM Thursday is San Saba County @ Burbon Rocks

10:00 PM Thursday Lil' Cap'n Travis @ Burbon Rocks but you might be seeing the Mother Truckers at this time, which is a good call too, IMHO.

11:00 PM Thursday Kai King @ Hilton Garden Inn

12:00 Thursday James McMurtry @ Antones

12:30 Old 97's @ Stubbs. I always assume everyone has heard the Old 97s but I'll list them in case. There's really no way I'd miss this show, either.

1:00 AM Friday the Drams @ Hilton Garden Inn

I've heard all of those bands before. The Rio Saturday night has Cruiserweight, Sleepercar and Limbeck. Alpha Rev is playing Saturday night at 9:00 I saw. Trainwrech Riders, the Castanets and Two Dollar Bash play Saturday too. I'd go buy Two Dollar Bash some beer just because they are a country band from Germany. Ian Moore is playing Saturday night as well. Reckless Kelly is playing Friday night at the Autsin Music Hall. I saw Ringo Deathstar on there. They'd probably be cool live, I'd heard of them but never heard them until now. Just about every band I listed has a song to check out on the web site to save you some time. Looks like the Lemonheads are playing too.

:wacko: I'd have to see Tragedy.

Sounds like it will be super awesome this year. I hope you have a great time and be sure to let us know who you see.

Clubby - thanks again for your input. It looks like we may get backstage for REM, which would be ultra cool since their latest song sounds way more like what they put out back in the day.... as opposed to the crap that is "Losing My Religion", etc.

The conflict with Okkervil would be My Morning Jacket and Del the Funky Homosapien. Plus, we may not be getting out of the 10pm Mother Truckers show in time. And to boot, we want to see POTUSA at 11:40. We'll be seeing Buttercup that night, too. I'll say hello for you. :D

I tentatively have Grupo Fantasma in the schedule. That could be a cool way to kick the night off, and we will probably be sick of downtown at that point, as we'll be down there all day Thursday. SSC is already in the schedule. :wacko:

Might have to see the Friday English Beat show to fit in the Old 97's.

Two Dollar Bash? German country? I will have to go see that.

Lemonheads... I think I've heard of them and I think I have an empty slot in my schedule to see them, too. Will have to research more.

Thanks again, and wish ya could be here! I'll get the CD done MUCH quicker this time. :moon:

:D

Ryan Bingham Friday night at Momos would be tough to top, particularly for an 8:00 PM start. Mescalito is probably going to be my next music purchase.

I'm not sure what I remember about the Lemonheads. I think I saw them open for PJ Harvey back when I was in the Navy.

Edited by Clubfoothead

My knowledge isn't as underground as some,. But I would be all over Augustana. One of my favorite bands of the last few years. I'd also love to see The Vines, Perry Farrell, Lemonheads, and Bowling for Soup.

As far as locals I know anything about, the only band I've seen is Black Helicopter, a Boston band. Very good song writers. Great story-telling to go with catchy riffs. Intelligent rock. Seen them twice and would highly recommend catching them if the schedule allows.

Ryan Bingham Friday night at Momos would be tough to top, particularly for an 8:00 PM start. Mescalito is probably going to be my next music purchase.

I'm not sure what I remember about the Lemonheads. I think I saw them open for PJ Harvey back when I was in the Navy.

They did a remake of Mrs. Robinson that was pretty big.

:wacko: Another Boston band.

If you don't go to see either DeVotchKa or Dr. Dog, I'm never speaking to you again.

:wacko:

DeVotchKa plays at 1am on Thursday, but I can't miss Buttercup. :D

They also play on Friday at midnight, but the venue they're playing at will be tough to get into. Plus I'll be seeing either MxPx or Nada Surf at that time.

As for Dr. Dog, I might get to their first show on Friday at 11pm.

Without regard to schedule or venue locale, here's who I'd look to go see (in alphabetical order):

Alabama3

The Black Angels

Blitzen Trapper

British Sea Power

The Cops

Del the Funky Homosapien

The Dicks

Dixie Witch

Drug Rug

The English Beat

Alejandro Escovedo

Femurs

Fishboy

Grand Archives

Hanson

Har Mar Superstar

Helio Sequence

High on Fire

Ice Cube

The Lonely H

Tift Merritt

MGMT

Thurston Moore

Nada Surf

Naked Raygun

N.E.R.D.

Old 97's

Old Time Relijun

The Soundtrack of Our Lives

Weedeater

Wheatus

Willowz

X

Yo La Tengo

Of course, that's just the official listing of acts. There are hundreds of other performers in town that will be playing "unofficial" venues and shows.

I clicked on the English Beat's link and it doesn't seem to many original members are playing with Dave? If I remember the VH1 show where they tried to get the group together, that didn't work out too well...Still should be a decent show

D3, do you usually get the badge or do the individual shows?

The badge is $700 and gets you into everything VIP. The wristband is $140 and gets you in to most shows but you still have to wait in the regular line. We were considering getting the wristband, but they're doing it by "lottery" this year. If you "win", they only allow you to purchase two per credit card/name, so I'd be handcuffed, since my sister is coming out for the event and I'd hate to not have one for her. So we're just going to wing it, like we did last year.

Without regard to schedule or venue locale, here's who I'd look to go see (in alphabetical order):

Alabama3

The Black Angels

Blitzen Trapper

British Sea Power

The Cops

The Dicks

Dixie Witch

Drug Rug

Alejandro Escovedo

Femurs

Fishboy

Grand Archives

Har Mar Superstar

Helio Sequence

High on Fire

The Lonely H

Tift Merritt

MGMT

Thurston Moore

Naked Raygun

Old Time Relijun

The Soundtrack of Our Lives

Weedeater

Wheatus

Willowz

X

Yo La Tengo

Of course, that's just the official listing of acts. There are hundreds of other performers in town that will be playing "unofficial" venues and shows.

Of the remaining, could you pull out 5-6 of your absolute favorites/must-sees?

And yeah, we had a great time last year just wandering from bar to bar (especially during the day) to see the "unofficial" bands.

Be Your Own Pet

Black Keys (obviously)

Black Mountain

Blitzen Trapper

The Boss Martians

Billy Bragg

Cloud Cult

Dead Confederate

Dixie Witch

Pinstripe

Soundtrack Of Our Lives

Vampire Weekend

Thanks, will check out their mp3's and try penciling the ones I like in! :wacko:

Gun to my head, have to see.....

British Sea Power

The Black Angels

Blitzen Trapper

Grand Archives

High on Fire

Willowz

Those are 6 I'd pick irregardless of genre or your musical taste. And are all fairly "up and coming".

Of course, a good time can be had by seeing these guys as well:

Del the Funky Homosapien

Ice Cube

Old 97's

Thurston Moore

X

Yo La Tengo

Gun to my head, have to see.....

Those are 6 I'd pick irregardless of genre or your musical taste. And are all fairly "up and coming".

Of course, a good time can be had by seeing these guys as well:

British Sea Power sounds pretty cool. I already have two 1am shows as tentatives on Saturday, but both will be at venues that are more or less off the beaten path. So they're a maybe.

Hmm, The Black Angels? I think I've heard of them. Their Bloodhounds track sounds familiar. But alas, we'll probably still be at REM when they go on. Bummer.

Man, Blitzen Trapper sounds pretty sweet. If I manage to see The English Beat the night before, I'll be able to check these guys out. :wacko:

Grand Archives sounds way too mellow. :moon:

And on the other end of the spectrum, High on Fire is pretty wild... and I've already inked a show for the time they play at.

Willowz sounds OK (from my old stomping grounds) but we'll be at REM when they play.

Already trying to pencil Del in. :D

Ice Cube is a 100% for-sure.

Trying to pencil the Old 97's in.

Thurston Moore sounds OK but won't be able to fit 'em in.

I dig X but we'd have trouble getting to their show.

Ditto with Yo La Tengo.

Thanks GTS! :D