[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SXSW 2008

darin3

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, The Black Angels? I think I've heard of them. Their Bloodhounds track sounds familiar. But alas, we'll probably still be at REM when they go on. Bummer.

They're an Austin band. I'm sure they'll play again.

Man, Blitzen Trapper sounds pretty sweet. If I manage to see The English Beat the night before, I'll be able to check these guys out. :D

Of both bands I've been introduced to in 2008, these guys are my favorite. :wacko:

Grand Archives sounds way too mellow. :D

I'll admit they are friends of mine and I'm shilling for them. I agree they are mellow, but for whatever reason, people dig the crap out of what their singer does (Carissa's Weird was his last band; did a lot on the 1st Band of Horses record).

I'm almost embarrased to say this, but I have MMM Bop on my Ipod.

I've seen them as "grownups". They aren't exactly shabby. They put out their own records and kind of do whatever the fudge they want.

Plus the 9 year olds that totally dug them 10 years ago are 19 now. :wacko:

They're an Austin band. I'm sure they'll play again.

Of both bands I've been introduced to in 2008, these guys are my favorite. :wacko:

I'll admit they are friends of mine and I'm shilling for them. I agree they are mellow, but for whatever reason, people dig the crap out of what their singer does (Carissa's Weird was his last band; did a lot on the 1st Band of Horses record).

Ah, maybe I've heard them (Black Angels) on the radio station here that plays a good deal of "local" music.

Will report back on Blitzen and all others!

If I see Grand Archives, I'll say hello for you. :D

I've seen them as "grownups". They aren't exactly shabby. They put out their own records and kind of do whatever the fudge they want.

Plus the 9 year olds that totally dug them 10 years ago are 19 now. :D

Exactly why I'm going to see them... errr, ummm... uhh..

Haven't been able to find any of them yet but liked Dr. Dog.

You should be able to find them on both iTunes and YouTube. In fact, I think CEO posted a couple YouTube links for them in this thread.

Dude, I am totally amped for week after next. My sis is working on VIP tix for REM, there are a ton of non-SXSW shows that I'm really looking forward to, and of course the SXSW lineup is killer as ever. Definitely seeing Buttercup again. Should be able to fit San Saba County in (unlike last year). I don't think we'll be kicked out of any bars this time around, though. :D After all, St. Patty's Day is on Monday this year... last year's Saturday St. Patty's was a debacle. :brew: Anyways, wish ya could come down, but I know you'll be here in spirit (I'll have a :wacko: in your honor.... OK, work with me with the graemlin, alright). Feel free to drop any more suggestions.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

^

Off to Houston today for a birthday party and then tomorrow's gonna be spent cleaning up the homestead and preparing for visitors. The film/tech stuff kicks off early in the week, and come Wednesday, it's time to pah-tay and listen to great music. Like last year, I'll be collecting various CDs at the shows and will probably download stuff off iTunes and the SXSW site of the good bands. I'll be putting together a collection CD, which I'll be happy to send on to my favorite :D Huddlers. This time it won't take 10 months. :D

Some of the names I'm really looking forward to include: Ice Cube, REM, San Saba County, Nada Surf, Hanson :D, POTUSA and The English Beat.

:wacko::brew:

I'll be putting together a collection CD, which I'll be happy to send on to my favorite :wacko: Huddlers.

I'd like to sign up for the distribution list.

If only you had access to a place you could put the tracks on line for download. Oh well.

Alright...loaf and GTS have me possibly downloading some new tunes....thanks guys!

Vampire Weekend has just lost it's spot in my car cd player to the new Flogging Molly. But that is one of my favorite disks of the past year. Blitzen Trapper is downloading now...

+1. . I'd be happy to pay for shipping.

Last year, ChuckB had posted a thread asking for donations for a bowling charity event and I asked that anyone that wanted a CD donate $5 or something in lieu of shipping costs, etc. Perhaps there'll be another deserving charity event or something that will pop up here in a few weeks that I can do something similar with. :wacko:

First day/night in the books. Totally ignored the "schedule" and just walked around downtown. Listened to a couple bands and mainly just hung out. Found out that Helmet is playing a free show today... so I'm gettin' myself ready for that. :wacko: Full day/night of music and :D today.

Picked up some promo CDs that I'll be burning. Best songs will go on a compilation CD that'll be available to everyone! :D

MGMT is playing tonight and tomorrow night. I'd recommend them if a Ween+Flaming Lips+Prince combo might strike your fancy.

Yeah my sister is all pumped up to see them, so we'll probably check 'em out. We'll have to see the Mother Truckers (awesome alt-country for those that like that style) another time, as they play at the same time tonight.

I can't believe I'm about 3 hours away from seeing Helmet. :wacko::D:D:brew::D

^

Off to Houston today for a birthday party and then tomorrow's gonna be spent cleaning up the homestead and preparing for visitors. The film/tech stuff kicks off early in the week, and come Wednesday, it's time to pah-tay and listen to great music. Like last year, I'll be collecting various CDs at the shows and will probably download stuff off iTunes and the SXSW site of the good bands. I'll be putting together a collection CD, which I'll be happy to send on to my favorite :D Huddlers. This time it won't take 10 months. :D

Some of the names I'm really looking forward to include: Ice Cube, REM, San Saba County, Nada Surf, Hanson :brew:, POTUSA and The English Beat.

:D:D

FU going to Houston. I was ready to pull th trigger on going out to Austin. I hope you say the Dropkick Murphys :wacko:

I can't find any coverage on Comcast except a news special, and the closing ceremonies on IFC, but I doubt that is music focused.

Although... in OnDemand, if you go to Music > concert.tv you can find performances by Drive By Truckers.

Wow, they actually added a lot to the OnDemand music lineup. There's now an A&R Channel that has little known bands. Cool. It's like SXSW for people too lazy to get off the couch! Well, no it's not. Dang.

Day/night #2 in the books. Missed Helmet. :D But did see a few real good shows, including Clubfoothead favorites (and darin3 favorites) San Saba County and Buttercup. Heading down in the afternoon again today to meet up with some buddies. Going to see Clay Jeffrey (an acquaintance of mine) and Puff Puff and the Receivers today. Weather forecast calls for temperatures in the 90's. :wacko: Should be another awesome day.... but tomorrow's the "big" day (High Times party, Ice Cube, etc.)

:D:brew:

I can't find any coverage on Comcast except a news special, and the closing ceremonies on IFC, but I doubt that is music focused.

Although... in OnDemand, if you go to Music > concert.tv you can find performances by Drive By Truckers.

Wow, they actually added a lot to the OnDemand music lineup. There's now an A&R Channel that has little known bands. Cool. It's like SXSW for people too lazy to get off the couch! Well, no it's not. Dang.

KEXP is streaming your boys Devotchka live in Austin right now.