[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

overheating laptop

dabuffbills

I've had an HP laptop for a couple years now and it has never really given me problems. The past few months however, I have noticed that it begins to overheat and the fan is working so hard that it starts to become pretty loud. On 1 or 2 occasions, it has had to shut down by itself because it got too hot. I have taken the compressed air and tried to blow some dust out, but it doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else to do besides blowing dust off the fan?

I... oh. I was going to say to blow the dust out of it.

Piece of advice... cracking the case on a laptop is generally a bad idea unless you know what you are doing. Maybe someone can provide the service for you.

I have never been more humble than when I cracked the case on this rig.

I heard about cracking the case, but I didn't plan on doing that because I didn't want to ruin my computer. I have also read about the cooling pads, but I think those are kind of a last resort. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what they did to fix it. I'll probably try to blow the dust out of it a couple more times to see if it has any effect.

I heard about cracking the case, but I didn't plan on doing that because I didn't want to ruin my computer. I have also read about the cooling pads, but I think those are kind of a last resort. Just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what they did to fix it. I'll probably try to blow the dust out of it a couple more times to see if it has any effect.

Vacuum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't blow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it........................even when wimmens blow......they su,, ,never mind!

Dam, man...............think about it............if you blow the dust back in you ain't getting rid of it and the fan will sucki mright back in! Get the best shop vac you can find and suck it out! Turn it (LT) off first though, please! You are correct about the chill pad, but if it works????? WT-F! :wacko:

Edited by rocknrobn26

Think about it........................even when wimmens blow......they su,, ,never mind!

Dam, man...............think about it............if you blow the dust back in you ain't getting rid of it and the fan will sucki mright back in! Get the best shop vac you can find and suck it out! Turn it (LT) off first though, please! You are correct about the chill pad, but if it works????? WT-F! :wacko:

my bad, I meant vacuum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it seems that the vacuuming did the job. All the websites I went to said to use the canned air and blow out the fan, but I never read to use a vacuum, and I'm surprised I never thought of it myself. Thanks RR :wacko:

Well it seems that the vacuuming did the job. All the websites I went to said to use the canned air and blow out the fan, but I never read to use a vacuum, and I'm surprised I never thought of it myself. Thanks RR :wacko:

Cool! The compressed air has to blow OUT the dust. Not gonna work unless you pop the case open on a LT! You may have to vacuum it several times, as after the dust is sucked out, more will migrate down. Keep an eye on it, glad I could help! :D

I have also read about the cooling pads, but I think those are kind of a last resort.

I'd still invest in a cooler to lengthen the lifespan of your laptop

Here's the combo I use / recommend:

Antec

Aluminum for heat disbursement, very quiet, runs off USB port, and works well even for 17 inch laptops (hard to find coolers that work for larger laptops)

Lap Desk

Pillow on the bottom for comfort (no laptop burning your legs), wrist support padding, and a non-skid surface so the laptop/cooler doesn't move around.

Edited by Riffraff