[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

UT Hoops

darin3

UT is about to dispense of a pretty good Kansas St. team. They've beaten #4 UCLA, #6 Kansas AND #1 Tennessee. Not to mention now a very good (previously #24) KSU team. Their losses are to a good Michigan St. (now #19) team (by 6 in Lansing), a 1-point loss to #10 Wisconsin, a garbage "one of those days" loss to Mizzou, and to a then-#23 Texas A&M team in College Station.

Again, guard play is monumental in the tournament (yeah, I know some say it's cliche') and UT's backcourt is beyond solid.

Anyone got anything to add?

Edited by darin3

I would think Texas' main weakness will be Rick Barnes. They guy is an excellent recruiter and a soilid coach, but not always the best at making in-game adjustments, which at some point, becomes necessary in the tournament.

He's a monster. Unfortunately, the Danny Manning Theory won't apply this year.

thanks for bringing that up........ that was the year my UA Wildcats were loaded with Sean Eliott, Steve Kerr, and they had Kenny Lofton as their 6th man, and the odds on favorite to win the title until Steve Kerr went 3-15 in the semi's vs. Oklahoma. Hugh chokejob, and the first of too many out of Lute's boys.

UA would have dismantled Manning and KU.

back to topic- yep UT is coming together nicely - I love Augustin - Lunardi has them as a !#1 seed right now

I would think Texas' main weakness will be Rick Barnes. They guy is an excellent recruiter and a soilid coach, but not always the best at making in-game adjustments, which at some point, becomes necessary in the tournament.

:wacko: "Not always" the best, but who knows what happens come this tournament.

back to topic- yep UT is coming together nicely - I love Augustin - Lunardi has them as a !#1 seed right now

Yeah I heard that. I would actually rather see them as a 3 or 4. I don't think they'll take KU down in the Big-12 championship game and I think they have another "one of those days" losses in them, too.

thanks for bringing that up........ that was the year my UA Wildcats were loaded with Sean Eliott, Steve Kerr, and they had Kenny Lofton as their 6th man, and the odds on favorite to win the title until Steve Kerr went 3-15 in the semi's vs. Oklahoma. Hugh chokejob, and the first of too many out of Lute's boys.

UA would have dismantled Manning and KU.

Woulda coulda shoulda

Like the UNC teams in 97 and 98 with Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison when Shammond Williams went 1-14 one year and 1-13 the next in the Final 4. Ouch

Your wildcats were a beneficiary that year. (1997)

Woulda coulda shoulda

Like the UNC teams in 97 and 98 with Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison when Shammond Williams went 1-14 one year and 1-13 the next in the Final 4. Ouch

Your wildcats were a beneficiary that year. (1997)

ya no doubt there are loaded teams that couldn't get it done, that UA team losing stung - thing is Elliott/Kerr/Lofton all became WINNERS as pro's-

yer UNC's guy's not so much..... :wacko:

the '97 Cats were the only team to ever beat 3 #1 seeds, so they earned dat sucker...........

Edited by wildcat2334

ya no doubt there are loaded teams that couldn't get it done, that UA team losing stung - thing is Elliott/Kerr/Lofton all became WINNERS as pro's-

yer UNC's guy's not so much..... :wacko:

That's rich, considering that Kerr and Elliot had ACC guys to thank for their titles.

Yeah, Vandy's good but you'd think Tennessee would have wanted to protect that #1 ranking for awhile. :wacko:

I'm not all that suprised that they lost. Not because they're not good, but did you watch that TENN - Memphis game saturday? That was the most hyped colege basketball game I've seen in a long time. It was a national championship-like game to both those teams. I'm sure they were both physically and mentally exhausted. Hard not to have a downer after that game.

I'm not all that suprised that they lost. Not because they're not good, but did you watch that TENN - Memphis game saturday? That was the most hyped colege basketball game I've seen in a long time. It was a national championship-like game to both those teams. I'm sure they were both physically and mentally exhausted. Hard not to have a downer after that game.

Very true, and I only caught part of the game. Both teams expend a ton of energy on the court. If either one has a "down" game in the tournament, it could be an early exit.

Very true, and I only caught part of the game. Both teams expend a ton of energy on the court. If either one has a "down" game in the tournament, it could be an early exit.

If either team shoots 30 three pointers like they did it can be an early exit as well. Someone said, the night I was watching the game, that they are indeed the best 2 teams in the country. But neither team played any type of D. Good fast paced game tho.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

If either team shoots 30 three pointers like they did it can be an early exit as well. Someone said, the night I was watching the game, the they are indeed the best 2 teams in the country. But neither team played any type of D. Good fast paced game tho.

I didn't buy into the Memphis thing before, and I surely don't now. Especially after Tennessee rolled them, and then Tennessee promptly rolled over.

I will contend that UTexas is the best team in the country, followed by UCLA.

That's my main criticism against guys like Pearl and Calipari. No doubt they both enjoyed and, dare I say, encouraged, the hype surrounding that game. Peal has never met a cameraman he didn;t like (and have u ever seen a coach who allows camera crews in his locker room the way he does?) So sure, they won on a big stage and got a #1 ranking, but what is it worth if you go on to lose it 33 hours later? Aren;t you risking damaging your teams confidence for the sake of a few hours, or weeks glory? I'd rather have the glory at the end of the season when it counts.

That's my main criticism against guys like Pearl and Calipari. No doubt they both enjoyed and, dare I say, encouraged, the hype surrounding that game. Peal has never met a cameraman he didn;t like (and have u ever seen a coach who allows camera crews in his locker room the way he does?) So sure, they won on a big stage and got a #1 ranking, but what is it worth if you go on to lose it 33 hours later? Aren;t you risking damaging your teams confidence for the sake of a few hours, or weeks glory? I'd rather have the glory at the end of the season when it counts.

Yup. Agree on all counts. A good (or even well-coached/prepared lesser) team is going to slow teams like Memphis and Tennessee down.

:wacko: "Not always" the best, but who knows what happens come this tournament.

Yeah I heard that. I would actually rather see them as a 3 or 4. I don't think they'll take KU down in the Big-12 championship game and I think they have another "one of those days" losses in them, too.

you need to shoot higher than that- UT should get a 2 even if they finish strong, and lose to KU - much easier road being a 1/2 than a 3/4

I didn't buy into the Memphis thing before, and I surely don't now. Especially after Tennessee rolled them, and then Tennessee promptly rolled over.

I will contend that UTexas is the best team in the country, followed by UCLA.

whooa- I dunno, Memphis is pretty damn good and will be there in the end- Tenn will be tough as well- last nights game was a tough spot, I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of that loss

Memphis/UNC/UCLA/KU - I still think on of those 4 will cut down the nets

whooa- I dunno, Memphis is pretty damn good and will be there in the end- Tenn will be tough as well- last nights game was a tough spot, I wouldn't make too big of a deal out of that loss

Memphis/UNC/UCLA/KU - I still think on of those 4 will cut down the nets

I think people are more impressed that Memphis has so many NBA "bodies" on that squad. With the exception of Rose (who is the most talented IMO) their starting lineup runs 6,6" 6,7" 6,9' 6,9" That's a manly squad, but doesn;t necessarily translate to success. Their play on Saturday was sloppy. It was blacktop, pickup basketball. They took 16 3-pointers in the first 5 minutes. That translates to 64 a game. Not going to win many games against quality opponents that way.

I agree with wildcats top 4 with the exception of Memphis, maybe. TENN and UT are ovbiously up there. I'd love a UCLA - UNC national championship game. To me, they are the 2 most well rounded teams:offense (fast break and halfcourt) defense, depth, coaching. They both have the whole package.