[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Test anxiety

polksalet

I'll make a recommendation.

As the test is on Friday, when you close the books tonight from studying, you don't open them again. You don't open them on Thursday and you certainly bring no study materials to the test on Friday for last minute review.

If you don't know the material by tonight, you're not going to get it tomorrow. It's time to give your brain a rest and let it relax before the test. After all, if you were going to run a marathon on Friday, would you get ready by running 15 miles the day before?

When I took my licensing exam (back in 1993), I studied like hell up until the Sunday night before the exam (exam was on wednesday). I didn't touch a book or review after that. I took the monday and tuesday off work, played some golf and relaxed. I went into the exam rested and ready.

This is great advice. This is exactly what I did when I took the bar exam, and I think it helped a lot. I would also advise getting some exercise on Thursday as well. It will be good stress relief and could help with the sleeping problem.

Edited by Dutch Oven

I'll make a recommendation.

As the test is on Friday, when you close the books tonight from studying, you don't open them again. You don't open them on Thursday and you certainly bring no study materials to the test on Friday for last minute review.

If you don't know the material by tonight, you're not going to get it tomorrow. It's time to give your brain a rest and let it relax before the test. After all, if you were going to run a marathon on Friday, would you get ready by running 15 miles the day before?

When I took my licensing exam (back in 1993), I studied like hell up until the Sunday night before the exam (exam was on wednesday). I didn't touch a book or review after that. I took the monday and tuesday off work, played some golf and relaxed. I went into the exam rested and ready.

I totally agree with the relaxation angle but I have a variable none of you can account for. Surveying is a very unique field of study. This test is basically a third each of advanced math (trig and above), case and common law, and an odd combo or physics, business law, and ethics. The prblem is that in doing my internship I have forgotten how to do some of thse "by the book". I have worked for some bad practitioners who have taken poetic license with the law and to tell you the truth, I can't remember how to do a couple of things correctly. I am going up to study with the prof and give a brief seminar on the first test ( I am taking the second) to some of his current students who will be taking it saturday.

As Big John has said it is indeed open book but, well I'll make a pic of the books I am taking and post it here in a bit.

This is great advice. This is exactly what I did when I took the bar exam, and I think it helped a lot. I would also advise getting some exercise on Thursday as well. It will be good stress relief and could help with the sleeping problem.

I am going to spar with "Rams Fan" thursday evening. He is about 6-4 4 bills but looks a lot bigger. That should work me out for a few minutes.

I have never b4 wished I were a stoner :wacko:

Good luck polk. I had to take the PE 2x before I passed it. First time I thought I passed and missed it by a few points. 2nd time I thought I failed and ended up passing... go figure.

If you do end up passing the test I'd recommend establishing an NCEES record if you want to be certified by Comity in other states. Saves a lot of time filling out paperwork.

Good luck polk. I had to take the PE 2x before I passed it. First time I thought I passed and missed it by a few points. 2nd time I thought I failed and ended up passing... go figure.

If you do end up passing the test I'd recommend establishing an NCEES record if you want to be certified by Comity in other states. Saves a lot of time filling out paperwork.

Surveyors do not get comity (engineers :wacko: ) Once we pass the PS section we then have to take a state specific in each state. This varies from 1 to 4 hours.

Good luck Polk. Passed mine years ago and don't want to take again. :wacko:

I agree, don't explode studying and the state section (colorado) really jacked me up....... :D

Surveyors do not get comity (engineers :wacko: ) Once we pass the PS section we then have to take a state specific in each state. This varies from 1 to 4 hours.

I did not know that. Then whats the purpose of the NCEES record program for surveyors?

Just saves you some time with the application portion of the other states?

http://www.ncees.org/records/

What is the NCEES Records Program?

The NCEES Records Program serves as a verifying agency for an engineer or surveyor who is seeking multiple-jurisdiction licensure by comity.

Edited by myhousekey

That was real. In the first section (67 questions) I was so sure I was going to make a 90% I godd barely sit still. I blew the thing UP!!!!

In the second ps section (33 questions) wow, it was ridiculously bad. I do not believe there should be civil engingeering questions on our test since we are not licensed to practice in that area. I mean, the PE does not have surveying so what is the deal? That is a story for another day. There was a pe sitting near me and he said the enginerring probs were far more difficult than anything he encountered on the pe exam which really blew me away and afterwards even together we couldnt worj out the right answer. Nonetheless I think I managed enough points to pass but I have been wrong b4.

The state specific was bizarre. The tests were either "find the distance between two coordinate pairs" or "if you are taking soundings with a Wild Heebrugg t-34 fathometer in the Mississippi river what factor of current and depth causes false readings if you encounter an unknown submerged vessel". I swear a schizophrenic must have written the thing.

Nonetheless I think I passed both portions. I give myself a 60% chance of passing. I will get state results in 3 weeks and national in 6-8 weeks.

I begin studying for the retake or Texas Monday.

Edited by polksalet

"What is the NCEES Records Program?

The NCEES Records Program serves as a verifying agency for an engineer or surveyor who is seeking multiple-jurisdiction licensure by comity."

Like I said, you do not have to retake the ps but there is a mandatory state specific portion.

good luck on your results polk.

i took the pennsylvania state specific on friday afternoon. pa's definition of a surveryor has always baffled me, and i had to deal with a lot of stormwater problems on this test as expected. i'm very confident in my answers for the law, but the more engineering style questions were more challenging. in reflection, i think i probably answered about 2/3 correctly, but it's the other 1/3 i'm worried about and will make the difference.

they tell us up to 12 weeks for results, so we'll see. i wish you the best.

good luck on your results polk.

i took the pennsylvania state specific on friday afternoon. pa's definition of a surveryor has always baffled me, and i had to deal with a lot of stormwater problems on this test as expected. i'm very confident in my answers for the law, but the more engineering style questions were more challenging. in reflection, i think i probably answered about 2/3 correctly, but it's the other 1/3 i'm worried about and will make the difference.

they tell us up to 12 weeks for results, so we'll see. i wish you the best.

I was talking to Dave Smith (Bor member there) and he said they consider "minor engineering" surveying work. Does PA allow minor engineering to be counted during one's internship time?

I was talking to Dave Smith (Bor member there) and he said they consider "minor engineering" surveying work. Does PA allow minor engineering to be counted during one's internship time?

yes. they look for surveying and engineering on your breakdown of experience. personally, i think it's a bit outdated. while there are still some local surveyors doing land development and stormwater work, i feel it's so specialized that people that work in it daily should be doing it. for me, i'm not interested in stormwater design or minor subdivision and would never practice anything outside of my competency, so trying to answer those types of questions for a license that i won't ever do that stuff with is a bit frustrating. but that's what they feel is necessary so i can't complain, i knew what was expected of me. i did study that stuff, but without practicing it all the time, it's not easy to test on.