[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ANA vs. SF

Bier Meister

Thoughts/Comments:

Starting pitching: Halos had a better rotation during the regular season. Giants starters have been very, very good over the past 6-8 weeks. Edge to ANA

Middle Relief: Push. Very similar.

Closer: Nen has had his share of nail biting moments, but I still have to give him the edge over Percival.

1B: Snow vs. Spezio: No one plays defense like Snow. Spezio is better at the plate. Snow has produces soem clutch hitting in the playoffs (as has Spezio). edge- Spezio

2B: Kent vs. Kennedy: Offensive and defensive edge to Kent.

SS: Aurilia vs. Eckstein: Aurilia was hurt much of the year, which lowered his prodcution. He started to pick it up towards the end of the season. Eckstein is respectable in the field and at the plate. Edge to aurilia.

3B: Bell vs. Glaus: Bell is a servicable 3B. Glaus is one of the best in the game. Edge ANA.

C: Santiago vs. Molina: Santiago can still throw runners out from his knees, but has had some probs defensively behind the plate. His bat is very much alive and has been the major reason why the Giants have made it this far (protecting Barry, which Kent could not do). Molina is a solid catcher, but Edge to the NL's MVP.

OF: Bonds/Lofton/Sanders vs. Anderson/Salmon/Erstad:

SF had more power in it's OF. There is similar run production. SF has more speed. Defensively similar. Edge SF

Bench: Simialr numbers. Edge ANA.

SF in 6.

:D

Since I'm also playing you in hockey this week it seems fit our two teams made it to play eachother in the Series.

Starters : Halos, though the Gents have been solid as of late. Can Livian do it again?. Edge to Halos because of the inning eaters they have for a long series. Edge : Halos

Bullpens : They are similar, but the Halos added a wildcard before the ALCS and he can bring it.

Edge : Halos

Closers : Give me Troy, but if he tries to throw 97 mph heaters by Barry he'll be sorry. Nen is effective but also tends to get in trouble which if you give the Angels air and don't knock them out they'll find a way to hurt you. Edge : Push

1B - Snow is a true first baseman and can surprise at the plate. Speiz has been solid this year and has revamped his career. Edge : Giants

2B - Kent is the best offensive 2B in baseball, but can't hold a candle to Kennedy in the field or as a team player. Edge : Giants, because of the bat of Kent.

SS - Rich is a b*tch that can hit at times and with power too boot. Eckstein is a lot like Kennedy and will do anything to make his team better. Edge : Push

3B - Bell is like you said serviceable. Glaus is a stud that rocks staffs best fastballs and has a better glove. Edge : Big to Halos.

Catcher : Benito has resurrected his life and game and is swinging a hot bat. Molina is the best defensive catcher this side of Pudge. Edge : Giants

OF - Halos have one of the top three Defensive OF's in baseball. Frisco has arm liabilities, but make up for it simply with Barries bat. Anderson and Erstad are true ballplayers and hit in the clutch. Salmons health will be the deciding factor. Edge : Push

Managers : Two of my favorites both as players and coaches. Both get the most out of very little at times. Both will win Managers of the Year this year. Push : Baker because of experience.

Prediction : Little things will win this series and no team has done the little things better than the Halos. Plus the Angels have a deeper bench. Red Hats in seven.

It should be interesting to see what each team does in the other's park. Will Dusty use Barry as DH? How will the Ana pitchers hit? Things like that intrigue me. Historically the Giants have done very well vs Ana in interleague play, but Ana is much improved since those meetings.

Pretty good analysis from both. I'll disagree with bier about the defensive prowess of Kennedy and the Angels' outfielders. Kennedy is decent at the plate, hits for average, but his glove has become above average with decent to good range. Kent is average defensively. The giants outfielders are nowhere near as good as the Angels defensively. Bonds is a liability in left and Lofton can still run some down but his arm is a huge ?. The Angels are going to be going from first to third a lot on singles. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants win this. They are very hot right now and probably getting a little bit better starting pitching then the Angels. You guys going to any of the games? I'm going to game 2 at the Ed.

I've had Giants season tix for the past 2 years. My luck... I move to colorado,give them up, and they go to the world series. I have a great two week vacation coming up (Maui and SF), so we didn't have the funds for me to make any extra trips to SF for the playoffs thumbs_d

Kent is better than average defensively... Very good range and usually turns 2 with the best of them. Due to Bonds' personality people maginfy his flaws and overlook other subtle attributes. Bonds has never had the strongest arm in the league, but he plays angles very well and gets the ball in quickly. These OF have gunned people at the plate. Lofton is still quick out there and so is Sanders. I really don't see the deficiancies you speak of at the positions mentioned. I just won 2 FB leagues, so I beleive I don't limit myself to knowledge of the Giants. Angels have a good team and are in the strongest division in the AL, which I think helped them once in the playoffs (same for SF in the NL).

I was strictly responding to your defensive assessment. I would much rather have Anderson then Bonds, and Erstad over this version of Lofton. Sanders is better then Salmon, especially with his tight hamstring. Offensively, Bonds boosts this group over just about every outfield in the league.

We'll be seeing in a five, six hours. thumbs_u

Was at three of the games in the '86 ALCS @ the big "A" and that was a gas. Been in the NW for most of the rest of the years until now saw the Mariners rush in '95 at the Halos expense. :mad:

Just think the Halos are this years team of destiny. Besides they have the Rally Monkey. Also how could any true Dodger/Angel fan not want the SoCal locals to beat up on those teams and fans from that other State up there, NoCal. wink

WOOOOHOOOO!!!! only a couple of more hours......

SHA- won't be around to talk **** tonight. I'll try to catch up with you tomorrow night for game two. Our hockey match up is turning out to be a good one too. You every get your IM going???

First, about game 4. The Angels made some critical mistakes that cost them. Glaus not being prepared to pick up the bunt by Lofton was huge. Probably not as big as Molina missing that pitch with Sanders up though. I was at Game 2 and it was fantastic. Don't think I sat down after the 4th inning. Very worried if they do indeed go back to Appier for game 6. He hasn't had anything for the whole postseason and looked terrible in game 2. Giving up home runs on 0-2 counts is inexcusable. I predict that whoever wins game 5 will win the series.

I've been pretty overwhelmed this week...not much time to give to any boards over here. Quick: I am very pleased with tonight's performance. Pretty even series.... 3 close games, 2 blow outs. The ball has bounced both ways.... I don't think one team has gotten more "luck" than the other. Nice to see Kent back in the lineup. Whatever happens no one can say Barry was to blame. Others are producing around him. That helps when you see him get so many walks. Like that Bier guy said...........Giants in 6 :D

So any comments on Dusty's brat almost getting taken out at the plate?

If you can't keep the kid off the field during play, get him the f*ck out of the dugout.

Imagine trying to explain that to the wife...

"My baby! What happened?"

"Well, I was talking to the bench manager and little Dusty Jr wandered onto the field and got crunched between Barry and the other team's catcher at home plate..."

Instant divorce.

Bier Meister:

Da mn!!!!! no rolaids tonight.... great comeback by the halos.  Game 7 here we come.

Game and Series has kicked ass. Can Bonds turn on a fastball better than ANYONE you've ever seen?. Never under estimate the power of the Rally Monkey wink