[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

golf

dmarc117

I think one of our defensive backs got drafted by New England. His last name is Manning (Daniel I think). It may have been Buffalo. I'd have to google it.

Nevermind. Danieal Manning plays for Chicago.

Edited by Double Agent

I played at Rensselaer. D-III but we were top 20 in the country every year. Got to play a game at Yankeee Stadium. Good times.

My claim to fame was Nolan Ryan helped recruit me. Nolan and the head baseball coach at ACU (at the time) played together with the Angels. There were very close and Nolan was instrumental in building ACU's new baseball field. Nolan actually came out to Abilene a few times and worked with us. That was about the highlight of my college career. I was injury plaqued early (torn rotator cuff) and hung my cleats up my junior year. It never healed right and the pain was too much. That's when I picked up golf and I never missed baseball because of it.

I guess what I'm saying is this - golf is a fickle animal. The thing I love most about golf is that there are times when I play a hole and know that Tiger himself could not have played the hole any better. That's what keeps me going back to the course. At the same time I am always capable of throwing a 98 up there. Weird, weird game.

That says it all for me, except I can still throw a 120 on a new biyatch of a track. :wacko:

Strong grip, full shoulder turn, and level knees will fix almost any ball going to the right.

after reading the article i knew my grip was way wrong(former baseball player) anyway i went out and bought one of those practice grips that makes you hold the club the right way and it felt WIERD....then I had a grip put on my driver that has the lines where your hands should go(my Taylor Made r580x or whatever it is has the same type of grip).....that helped and still helps to this day....the other tips I used to fix the slice

Take away...act as if you are trying to hand the head of the club to a "catcher" directly behind you....then at that point start the shoulder turn

Keep the right elbow in close to the body(mine used to fly away)

then another trick which i also used in baseball....on the follow thru my chin needs to touch my right shoulder(actually in baseball it starts out on the left and finishes on the right....that ensures you are keeping your head down...

the shoulder turn was actually very hard to get used to but my driving game is a strength of my game now...

oh and today i shot a Fn 104 :wacko: my short game SUCKED and it didnt help that they just aerated the greens a couple of days ago

oh and one more tip was about my posture....i took a lesson about 7 yrs ago and the guy said my back wasnt straight he told me to

stick my butt out and act as if i was going to sit in a chair...to this day at address the last thing i do is stick my ass out and that was a hugh improvement in my game too...

Edited by keggerz

I played baseball all the way through college. The baseball swing invites a massive slice. It's tough to break that hip slide. Here's a drill for you:

Take a old shaft without the head (you can even use a metal rod or something similar) and stick it in the ground pointing straight up. When you take your stance to address the ball, put your lead foot (left foot if you swing right handed) up against the shaft. I usually place the shaft halfway between my toe and heel. Take your normal stance just make sure you lead foot is butting up against the tip of the shaft. Go through your practice swings. Your hip should not tough the top of the shaft. If it does, you are sliding way too much.

It's hard to explain this drill without pictures. I'll see if I can find something online.

it sure as hell does

My claim to fame was Nolan Ryan helped recruit me. Nolan and the head baseball coach at ACU (at the time) played together with the Angels. There were very close and Nolan was instrumental in building ACU's new baseball field. Nolan actually came out to Abilene a few times and worked with us. That was about the highlight of my college career. I was injury plaqued early (torn rotator cuff) and hung my cleats up my junior year. It never healed right and the pain was too much. That's when I picked up golf and I never missed baseball because of it.

i played at a small d3 school in the midwest. we'd go down to panama city every spring break for a week long tourney and just get our asses kicked by teams from the south. atleast i was a pitcher and maybe pitched 2 games tops, so the rest of the time i was boozing. spring break on the schools bill!!!

after reading the article i knew my grip was way wrong(former baseball player) anyway i went out and bought one of those practice grips that makes you hold the club the right way and it felt WIERD....then I had a grip put on my driver that has the lines where your hands should go(my Taylor Made r580x or whatever it is has the same type of grip).....that helped and still helps to this day....the other tips I used to fix the slice

Take away...act as if you are trying to hand the head of the club to a "catcher" directly behind you....then at that point start the shoulder turn

then another trick which i also used in baseball....on the follow thru my chin needs to touch my right shoulder(actually in baseball it starts out on the left and finishes on the right....that ensures you are keeping your head down...

the shoulder turn was actually very hard to get used to but my driving game is a strength of my game now...

oh and today i shot a Fn 104 :wacko: my short game SUCKED and it didnt help that they just aerated the greens a couple of days ago

oh and one more tip was about my posture....i took a lesson about 7 yrs ago and the guy said my back wasnt straight he told me to

stick my butt out and act as if i was going to sit in a chair...to this day at address the last thing i do is stick my ass out and that was a hugh improvement in my game too...

There some good advice here keg. My practice was a little different than yours though. It consisted of essentially training the left hand and arm to do the work. Essentially pulling the clubhead though rather than pushing it through with the right. To speak directly to what you said above, the takeaway is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Take two clubs and lay them parallel on the ground about six inches apart. Now place your drive inbetween them as if you were addressing the ball with your normal grip. Remove your right hand from the club. With you left hand only, raise the club in a takeaway making sure that the clubhead stays within the two clubs on the ground. keep the left arm straight with no bend at the elbow and do not bend your wrist until the club you are swinging is parallel to the ground. Complete the swing (still with only your left hand) making sure that the club head stays within the two clubs on the ground as you come forward. When the club head comes through the point of impact check to see that the face of the club is square to the direction you want the ball to go. This will give you the muscle memory to make the correct swing every time without monkeying with your grip.

The other piece of the puzzle is the turn. Take your driver and put it behind your neck and hook your arms over the top. You should look like you're in the stockade. Take your stance as normal, then turn until the end of the club on your left shoulder is pointing to the ground approximately where the ball should be. Now turn and point the other end of the club at the same spot. This is the turn your body should make during the swing. Again, this drill will help produce the muscle memory needed for consistency.

The first drill will help with accuracy then second with distance. Reverse the instructions if you are a lefty.

There some good advice here keg. My practice was a little different than yours though. It consisted of essentially training the left hand and arm to do the work. Essentially pulling the clubhead though rather than pushing it through with the right. To speak directly to what you said above, the takeaway is the most important piece of the puzzle.

Take two clubs and lay them parallel on the ground about six inches apart. Now place your drive inbetween them as if you were addressing the ball with your normal grip. Remove your right hand from the club. With you left hand only, raise the club in a takeaway making sure that the clubhead stays within the two clubs on the ground. keep the left arm straight with no bend at the elbow and do not bend your wrist until the club you are swinging is parallel to the ground. Complete the swing (still with only your left hand) making sure that the club head stays within the two clubs on the ground as you come forward. When the club head comes through the point of impact check to see that the face of the club is square to the direction you want the ball to go. This will give you the muscle memory to make the correct swing every time without monkeying with your grip.

The other piece of the puzzle is the turn. Take your driver and put it behind your neck and hook your arms over the top. You should look like you're in the stockade. Take your stance as normal, then turn until the end of the club on your left shoulder is pointing to the ground approximately where the ball should be. Now turn and point the other end of the club at the same spot. This is the turn your body should make during the swing. Again, this drill will help produce the muscle memory needed for consistency.

The first drill will help with accuracy then second with distance. Reverse the instructions if you are a lefty.

those are both good tips too....actually i use the "stockade" one as a stretching method prior to each round too....and keeping that left arm straight is a big one as is cocking the wrists at the right time....but hey even if you have a slice that would make Jackie Mason blush so what...go out and hit him long and crooked...as they say a bad day of golf is better then a good day at work

I could fix your slice in 5 minutes. Slices are easy to fix. It almost always involves too weak of a grip and the ball too far back in the stance. If you're only slicing your driver, even easier to fix. When you grip the club and address the ball, how many knuckles do you see on your lead hand. 2 knuckles is a neutral grip but I see 3 sometimes 4 (strong grip). Also make sure the ball is just inside your big toe when hitting a driver.

Sometimes there are other contributing factors. A lot of times golfers shift their hips forward instead of pivoting. There will be some forward shift, but too much will keep the clubface open at impact. Go get a cheap lesson and have someone look at your swing. I've helped a lot of newbie slicers and all of them could hit a draw by the end of the session.

Now golfer hitting low hooks are another story. Those aren't as easy to fix.

low hooks...as easy as a slice. Weight is hanging up on right side and grip is maybe too strong as they may pronate very well. So, you work on makeing grip a little more neutral....make the swing arc slightly taller versus flat....and work on a full weight transfer to the left side.

Edited by TheShiznit

those are both good tips too....actually i use the "stockade" one as a stretching method prior to each round too....and keeping that left arm straight is a big one as is cocking the wrists at the right time....but hey even if you have a slice that would make Jackie Mason blush so what...go out and hit him long and crooked...as they say a bad day of golf is better then a good day at work

Tru dat!

I usually tell people to stick their arse out like a cat in heat!!!! But whatever works..... :D

As far as keeping your right elbow in close....that is a little bit wrong. Don't concentrate on that. It DESTROYS your power as it flatens your arc. You may end up with a straighter ball flight, but you compromise distance...and not a little....a friggin ton. Instead concentrate on your hand position at the top of your swing. I really don't care how you get your hands to the right position...think Jim Furyk....just as long as they get in the correct position. I try to feel as if I am holding a tray, like a waiter....above my right ear. I am only 5'8" so I don't have an ernie els arc....but you get my drift. If you concentrate on your elbow, you could be laying it off at the top and that could screw up even the best of swings.

I usually tell people to stick their arse out like a cat in heat!!!! But whatever works..... :D

As far as keeping your right elbow in close....that is a little bit wrong. Don't concentrate on that. It DESTROYS your power as it flatens your arc. You may end up with a straighter ball flight, but you compromise distance...and not a little....a friggin ton. Instead concentrate on your hand position at the top of your swing. I really don't care how you get your hands to the right position...think Jim Furyk....just as long as they get in the correct position. I try to feel as if I am holding a tray, like a waiter....above my right ear. I am only 5'8" so I don't have an ernie els arc....but you get my drift. If you concentrate on your elbow, you could be laying it off at the top and that could screw up even the best of swings.

i had a fly away elbow so I had to concentrate on tucking it close to get it corrected but you are correct it did hurt my distance...today I dont have it tucked tight per say but it isnt flying away like it used to :wacko: