[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

golf

dmarc117

I quit golfing about 10 years ago because I couldn't get rid of my 30 yard slice no matter what I did.

Went to the driving range about 6 months ago and hit a bucket of balls. . .30 yard slice, like I hadn't missed a day.

I hadn't golfed in 2-3 years, until Friday when my dad called and asked if I wanted to go shoot 9 with him. We split a bucket of balls three ways, and then went out. I got a 12 on the first hole. (par 4) The second hole, another par 4, I shot a 10. I then used my 4 iron for every shot, that wasn't a put, for the rest of the round and scored 58 on the last seven holes. So I ended the round 44 over par.

It was one of the best rounds I've ever played in my life.

Long story short, I suck at golf.

-DD21

Edited by digitaldan21

I quit golfing about 10 years ago because I couldn't get rid of my 30 yard slice no matter what I did.

Went to the driving range about 6 months ago and hit a bucket of balls. . .30 yard slice, like I hadn't missed a day.

I had a big banana ball as well. I also couldn't justify the time it took to play reasonably well. So I pretty much stopped playing. Then, a couple of years back a friend asked if I wanted ot play in a tournament. I said sure. I had been a couple of years since I played but I still had my sticks, even though the woods were so old they were still made of wood. Of course my buddy saw this and told me to hit with his driver instad of that POS I had. Lo and behold, 250 yards and straight down the fairway.

Last spring he sold that driver to me for $40. It's a Taylor Made R5, graphite shaft, basically all the bells and whistles. Last month I went to the local golf show to buy a putter and a wedge. I ended up buying a new set of Nickent Hybred irons. Also graphite shafts, more bells and whistles. Again the price was right, $250. These clubs also have done wonders for my game. First time out with them I shot a 89. Breaking 100 would have been nice, an 89 is fracking wonderful.

So the moral of this story is that equipment can make a hugh difference. Enough so that I enjoy going golfing again. I was going to go out today but unfortunately I have muscle spasms in my neck so bad right now I can't turn my head. Where's Isle and his percs when you need them?

It's tough to say - people are differrent. I introduced a friend of mine to golf a few years ago and he was shooting in the 80s within a month. ( :D )

I introduced another friend to the game who is a great WR and hoops player and he had a hard time making contact with the ball. :wacko:

I played a lot when I was younger. I probably played too much as I don't care for it now. I haven't played in six years. I sold my clubs a couple of years ago, and I don't miss them a bit. I'd like to say that I found something more useful to do with my time, but I spend too much time here.

Something has happened to me over the past two or three years. I went from almost always having a chance to get into the high 70's to being pretty happy if I stay under the mid 80's. What is really weird about this entire thing is that I know feel like I am playing much better than I did at anytime in my life. Just can't seem to score real well.

Now for something that I am proud of and something that I think I had mentioned here at the Huddle.

A few years ago I began to teach my boy how to play golf. He was not a natural but he was not terrible either. In about a years time I took him from breaking 100 to low 80's. After about three years of this and never a real lesson other than what he got from me, he has hit as low as 74 at least a half dozen times. He can't seem to get under that 74 but today he almost never will shot above an 82. He is somewhere between 78-82 almost ever round. He did win his High School league championship during his senior year but he blew up in the first round of states.

Last year I golfed with at least four of his friends. All of them are kids his age and all are kids that he alone introduced to the game. He is so good at teaching these kids that I am always happy to go play with him and two of his friends.

This game is very weird but I honestly think that if you have someone teaching you some of the very basic stuff, it can go a long way. Those kids seem to prove what I think.

Something has happened to me over the past two or three years. I went from almost always having a chance to get into the high 70's to being pretty happy if I stay under the mid 80's.

David Duval is a huddler??!!

going out today for my 2nd time this yr :wacko:

I used to have a BIG Ol' Slice.....picked up a Golf Mag and it had an article about grip and that helped to fix my slice...at first it felt like a completely awkward way to hold a club but now it is second nature.

At least for me, golf is not like riding a bike. I play a lot compared to most...usually once a week. But I take the winter off which is usually 3-4 months. I played Saturday because the weather was beautiful. I shot an 89. Problem is I'm a 3-4 handicap. Layoffs kill my short game. Aside from playing once a week, I usually practice once a week too. If I lay off a few weeks, I may get lucky and find a groove. But usually I have to practice to stay consistent.

Yeah, its the short game that dies with the long layoff. In the US I played 2 times a week in the golf season and carry a 5 or 6 HC. I went about 4 months without playing when I moved here, first round out I shot a 48 on the front 9 with terrible touch, followed it with a 37 on the back. Played 2 days later and went 40-35. Played the same course last week after another 3 month layoff and shot a 98 while playing the par fives in 5 under. It included one stretch of holes where I went quad-quad-quad-triple-double-triple. Hadn't played a stretch like that since probably 8th grade.

I guess what I'm saying is this - golf is a fickle animal. The thing I love most about golf is that there are times when I play a hole and know that Tiger himself could not have played the hole any better. That's what keeps me going back to the course. At the same time I am always capable of throwing a 98 up there. Weird, weird game.

Yeah, its the short game that dies with the long layoff.

So true. I took an 8 on a par 4 Saturday. Split the fairway, second shot flew the green with a simple pitch shot coming back. From that location I normally get up and down 40-50% of the time. I managed to duff not once but twice and then I 3 putted from 25 feet. It truly was a thing of beauty. :wacko:

going out today for my 2nd time this yr :wacko:

I used to have a BIG Ol' Slice.....picked up a Golf Mag and it had an article about grip and that helped to fix my slice...at first it felt like a completely awkward way to hold a club but now it is second nature.

Strong grip, full shoulder turn, and level knees will fix almost any ball going to the right.

So true. I took an 8 on a par 4 Saturday. Split the fairway, second shot flew the green with a simple pitch shot coming back. From that location I normally get up and down 40-50% of the time. I managed to duff not once but twice and then I 3 putted from 25 feet. It truly was a thing of beauty. :wacko:

:D I love it when I go 400 yards in 2 shots and then it takes 6 more to go 50 feet.

I too have dwelt in that cave, Lothar.

Mind if I ask what you did? My slice made me quit two years ago and I want to get back in again.

Mind if I ask what you did? My slice made me quit two years ago and I want to get back in again.

I could fix your slice in 5 minutes. Slices are easy to fix. It almost always involves too weak of a grip and the ball too far back in the stance. If you're only slicing your driver, even easier to fix. When you grip the club and address the ball, how many knuckles do you see on your lead hand. 2 knuckles is a neutral grip but I see 3 sometimes 4 (strong grip). Also make sure the ball is just inside your big toe when hitting a driver.

Sometimes there are other contributing factors. A lot of times golfers shift their hips forward instead of pivoting. There will be some forward shift, but too much will keep the clubface open at impact. Go get a cheap lesson and have someone look at your swing. I've helped a lot of newbie slicers and all of them could hit a draw by the end of the session.

Now golfer hitting low hooks are another story. Those aren't as easy to fix.

It drives me nuts because I am a very good athlete and have no problem hitting the ball squarely every single time. I did strengthen my grip some but maybe I'll go a little further. I am pretty much convinced it is a weight shift issue. As you mentioned, I tend you lean front to back rather than pivot around my hips. With all the baseball and softball I play the toughest habit to break is NOT staying inside the ball like a baseball swing. Frustrating game.

It drives me nuts because I am a very good athlete and have no problem hitting the ball squarely every single time. I did strengthen my grip some but maybe I'll go a little further. I am pretty much convinced it is a weight shift issue. As you mentioned, I tend you lean front to back rather than pivot around my hips. With all the baseball and softball I play the toughest habit to break is NOT staying inside the ball like a baseball swing. Frustrating game.

I played baseball all the way through college. The baseball swing invites a massive slice. It's tough to break that hip slide. Here's a drill for you:

Take a old shaft without the head (you can even use a metal rod or something similar) and stick it in the ground pointing straight up. When you take your stance to address the ball, put your lead foot (left foot if you swing right handed) up against the shaft. I usually place the shaft halfway between my toe and heel. Take your normal stance just make sure you lead foot is butting up against the tip of the shaft. Go through your practice swings. Your hip should not tough the top of the shaft. If it does, you are sliding way too much.

It's hard to explain this drill without pictures. I'll see if I can find something online.