[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Maintenance

BiggieFries

Whenever I get my oil changed the guys that work there always try to upsell some other service such as coolant flush. How important are these?

Here's what Da Man is always trying to sell me:

Coolant flush

Change automatic tranny fluid

Some break fluid service

Blinker fluid

I already do the normal things like change oil/filter, tires, etc.

Whenever I get my oil changed the guys that work there always try to upsell some other service such as coolant flush. How important are these?

Coolant flush

Some break fluid service

Blinker fluid

You know the place I go to is pretty good about telling me accurate information. I know my 03 needs a coolant change, light's been coming on and off for a while and the very next time I took it in for an oil change he said I should get my coolant changed which I will do. I'm at 90k in miles so I know it needs it.

When I took my 04 Van in to the same place with significantly less miles on it and thus may not need the coolant flush he didn't even mention it but on both cars he mentioned the gas filter. He did not mention the air filter on either which I had recently changed. So that alone makes me feel good about the info they provide. Obviously every place and person is different.

Bottom line is you have to know your car a little bit to know what's BS and what's not.

Blinker fluid is a must though, can't operate the blinkers without good fluid.

Edited by chiefjay

Blinker fluid is a must though, can't operating the blinkers without good fluid.

Well, the reservoir for the blinker fluid is adjacent to the Fetzer valve, so you'll want to hire a professional to change it.

With respect to the other stuff, your owner's manual should tell you how often to flush the radiator and change the transmission fluid. If it says never with respect to the latter, ignore it. It depends on how you drive and driving condition. if I had an automtic transmission, I'd probably change it every 30k or so, depending on a variety of factors.

It might say something about the brake fluid. You can't tell if the brake fluid is good by looking at it. I've seen different recommendations as to when you should replace it. 40k. 70k. More. Less.

The only thing that I would have done at a 10 minute oil change place is changing the oil and oil filter.

Edited by Furd

Guest Chappy

Coolant flush

Some break fluid service

Blinker fluid

:wacko:

Most of that stuff is BS if the car is new or has low mileage. The blinker fluid, now that's funny stuff. The normal stuff you do is all you need to do. The rest is just an attempt to rake you over the coals. Now there is a time to do the coolant flush and tranny fluid change just not every time you get an OC. And the break fluid service is BS too.

Edited by Chappy

The newer coolants are supposed to be changed every 100k. You may not have this type of coolant. ATF fluid should be changed every 30k. I get mined completely flushed out and filled and I go 50k between changes. I also use a synthetic motor oil and filter and go 10k between those changes.

As far as the brake fluid, I siphon the old stuff out of the master and fill every year. IMO, no need for a complete flush.

With respect to the other stuff, your owner's manual should tell you how often to flush the radiator and change the transmission fluid. If it says never with respect to the latter, ignore it. It depends on how you drive and driving condition. if I had an automtic transmission, I'd probably change it every 30k or so, depending on a variety of factors.

It might say something about the brake fluid. You can't tell if the brake fluid is good by looking at it. I've seen different recommendations as to when you should replace it. 40k. 70k. More. Less.

The only thing that I would have done at a 10 minute oil change place is changing the oil and oil filter.

Very good info here!