[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the smokers... again ...hoping this makes you think

Thews40

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...00.html?cnn=yes

Take a look at the picture in this CNN article about lung cancer and tell me you still smoke because you enjoy it. After my daughter was in the hospital going through chemo for the second time, I would still sneak out and huff a nail or two at night... you know... cause it helps stress. It doesn't help anything. People smoke because they're addicted to nicotine, and any other reason is just stupid. If you're one of the lucky few that can dance with the devil and have beers once a month and just smoke one... yer stronger than I am. I promised her I'd quit on Christmas day and I did... for life this time Three months now and I don't think about it anymore. I'm not looking for kudos for kicking,,, just looking for the smokers to think about not "enjoying" killing themselves slowly. Don't wait for the next new year. It's really simple to stop smoking... just stop doing it. Feel some discomfort for three days and replace the addiction with another (like exercise). If you claim you're not addicted, then you're drinking nicotine flavored KoolAid. Look at the picture .. ghost of Christmas future for some of you. :climbsoffsoapbox: :hopesoneofyoukickssoon:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thews, I know you mean well but this is my number one complaint about people that have quit smoking. The next thing you know, they become evangelical about not smoking. It was something that I made a very conscious effort to not do when I gave them up 20 or so years ago. I'm not saying that making this post was wrong, but I will ask that you take a hard look at what you're doing the next time you want to say something like this.

On a slightly more general level, this falls under the "you know better than me about how to live my life". It's kind of like the stuff the Microsoft does all the time that pisses us off so much. They know better than you about how you like your computer.

Thews, I know you mean well but this is my number one complaint about people that have quit smoking. The next thing you know, they become evangelical about not smoking. It was something that I made a very conscious effort to not do when I gave them up 20 or so years ago. I'm not saying that making this post was wrong, but I will ask that you take a hard look at what you're doing the next time you want to say something like this.

On a slightly more general level, this falls under the "you know better than me about how to live my life". It's kind of like the stuff the Microsoft does all the time that pisses us off so much. They know better than you about how you like your computer.

I just don't want you to die. Smoke if you want to... I'm not saying it's wrong for you to choose to smoke. Even when I was a smoker (been on and off again my whole life) I knew very few smokers that didn't want to quit. Sometimes one look at a picture may jar someone to try one more time. Spend some time in a cancer ward and you may re-think the choice... again, I'm not telling you I'm right and you're wrong. It's your choice.

Beer bottles work best. You can put the cap back on and place in the fridge to prevent the spit from stinking.

i had roommates in college that used the big gatorade bottles. they would fill the whole thing up. what a vile stew that was. i knocked over many of those in my day. :wacko:

Edited by dmarc117

I just don't want you to die. Smoke if you want to... I'm not saying it's wrong for you to choose to smoke. Even when I was a smoker (been on and off again my whole life) I knew very few smokers that didn't want to quit. Sometimes one look at a picture may jar someone to try one more time. Spend some time in a cancer ward and you may re-think the choice... again, I'm not telling you I'm right and you're wrong. It's your choice.

You'll notice I said that I quit about 20 years ago. You're just trying to point out the evils of smoking. I'm just trying to point out the evils of ex-smokers. :wacko:

i had roommates in college that used the big gatorade bottles. they would fill the whole thing up. what a vile stew that was. i knocked over many of those in my day. :wacko:

It is amazing how bad that stuff can smell. I use a new, empty water bottle every day. I was changing my oil a while back in my garage. There was an old spit bottle out there and I thought it was the one I brought out there. I opened and cap and went to spit and the stink about floored me. I literally smelled it for an hour. The stink had gotten in my nose somehow.

My college roommate used to spit in our drinking glasses then throw them in the dishwasher. Pissed me off.

I definitely see your point, but would you say the same thing about an ex-junkie who became "evangelical" about helping current addicts kick? I doubt you would, so the question is, what's the difference? if you believe smoking is as dangerous and addicting as thews apparently does, it's hard to fault someone for pointing it out to others.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...00.html?cnn=yes

Take a look at the picture in this CNN article about lung cancer and tell me you still smoke because you enjoy it. After my daughter was in the hospital going through chemo for the second time, I would still sneak out and huff a nail or two at night... you know... cause it helps stress. It doesn't help anything. People smoke because they're addicted to nicotine, and any other reason is just stupid. If you're one of the lucky few that can dance with the devil and have beers once a month and just smoke one... yer stronger than I am. I promised her I'd quit on Christmas day and I did... for life this time Three months now and I don't think about it anymore. I'm not looking for kudos for kicking,,, just looking for the smokers to think about not "enjoying" killing themselves slowly. Don't wait for the next new year. It's really simple to stop smoking... just stop doing it. Feel some discomfort for three days and replace the addiction with another (like exercise). If you claim you're not addicted, then you're drinking nicotine flavored KoolAid. Look at the picture .. ghost of Christmas future for some of you. :climbsoffsoapbox: :hopesoneofyoukickssoon:

This reminds me alot of

years ago when Yul Brynner was dying of lung cancer and told people to stop smoking. That made quite an impression on me. Edited by Chargerz

:brew: um...i quit a month ago and "born again" types like this make me want to light one up just to spite thier new rightous ideals. i love to smoke, pipes, cigars, cigarettes. Quitting is easy, now giving up the love for it, thats hard...so i say smoke'em if you want to!

dont get me wrong, cancer sucks...but hell, there are 859,000,0000,000 ways to get cancer. so the odds are also pretty good smoking wont be the cause of it. :wacko:

:D tobacco :D

People smoke because they're addicted to nicotine, and any other reason is just stupid.

I went to the Bodyworlds exhibit (which is really, really f*cking cool) and one of the neat things was it took you about thislong to spot a smoker after you'd seen one set of smoker's lungs.

Not me though, eh - I want my lungs pink when they fry me.

is Bodyworld's under any scrutiny for using or possibly using Humans from china ( bodies of Chinese who were killed and then sold on black market for such exhibits ) ?

What I was told was that OTHER, similar exhibits are under scrutiny for doing so; Bodyworlds runs a clean shop.

From Wikipedia:

Doctor von Hagens has been repeatedly accused of using bodies from deceased persons who did not give consent, such as prison inmates and hospital patients from Kyrgyzstan[6] and executed prisoners from China (this latter led to a lawsuit against Der Spiegel, which Doctor von Hagens won).

Doctor von Hagens maintains that all bodies exhibited in Body Worlds came from donors who gave informed consent via a unique body donation program. A commission set up by the California Science Center in Los Angeles in 2004 confirmed Doctor von Hagens' statements. Doctor von Hagens does not make the same claim for all specimens prepared by his plastination institute, only the ones exhibited in Body Worlds.

So I guess the answer is "yes, they are under scrutiny, but so far, the scrutiny has shown no black market Chinese corpses in the Body Worlds exhibit itself."

Edited by Chavez

I just don't want you to die.

Thanks fer caring but as far as I know I'm mortal.

I smoke stogies, drink heavily and regularly have unprotected sex with multiple partners. What can I say, I like to live on the edge.

:takesabigdragofhiscamelfilterandblowsitinthewsgeneraldirection:

Thanks fer caring but as far as I know I'm retarded.

I smoke stogies, drink heavily and regularly have unprotected sex with multiple partners. What can I say, I like to live on the edge.

:takesabigdragofhiscamelfilterandblowsitinthewsgeneraldirection:

Fixed