[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone want to give a shot at diagnosing my network issues?

Duchess Jack

Alrighty...

I had my PC in a different room than my router. More often than not it would get a 'low' signal, but it would work. Maybe 15-20' away.

I hooked my PC up to my TV. This brought the computers into - more or less - the same room. 10'-20' feet away.

The signal runs from low to good but I am only getting 1Mbps (whatever that means)

When the computer is first started and notices the router it is much higher... don't have the number now... a hundred or something... but then it conks out again and drops to 1.

Any ideas? This even happens when the signal is high and nothing has changed except the computer being brought closer

Edited by Duchess Jack

Alrighty...

I had my PC in a different room than my router. More often than not it would get a 'low' signal, but it would work. Maybe 15-20' away.

I hooked my PC up to my TV. This brought the computers into - more or less - the same room. 10'-20' feet away.

The signal runs from low to good by I am only getting 1Mbps (whatever that means)

When the computer is first started and notices the router it is much higher... don't have the number now... a hundred or something... but then it conks out again and drops to 1.

Any ideas? This even happens when the signal is high and nothing has changed except the computer being brought closer

Do you have the model of the router you are using?

also, does your PC have a built in WiFi card or did you add one? Can you give us the model of that also?

Metal, walls, floors, cordless phones, and other wireless electronics will all cause interference to your signal...the closer your router is to these the worse. You could also check what channel you are sending the signal over and change that...some channels are much clearer than others just like radio. Being in the US you can send over 1, 6, and 11. Try putting your router in the middle of the house as they generally send in all directions, unless next to a wall, than you've basically killed half your signal. Wireless repeaters and/or directional antennae may help as well if you are still having problems...

the model is wg311 v3

I have no idea about the wifi card. I will need to look into that.

DSL or BB? 3.0 Mbps is about as fast as DSL will go, and BB 15+Mbps. Go out and buy a USB wireless, configure it and see what happens. If it doesn't help your route could be going south, return the USB wireless and get a new modem. If it works, leave it alone as your wireless card is probably going south.

802.11g should be good enough especially for a connection within the same room as you mentioned.

There must be some type of interference and most probably it will be a cordless phone. Alot of older cordless phones use 2.4 GHz frequencies (range). Do you have these type of phones in your house? If so, do a test and take the batteries out of all of them to see if this improves your data transfer. If it does, I would replace those phones with a 5.8 GHz frequency.

I should have wrote this first, but try to update your driver on the PCI wifi card (totally remove the old one).

DSL or BB? 3.0 Mbps is about as fast as DSL will go, and BB 15+Mbps. Go out and buy a USB wireless, configure it and see what happens. If it doesn't help your route could be going south, return the USB wireless and get a new modem. If it works, leave it alone as your wireless card is probably going south.

Good advice here...but I would make sure your phones or any other cordless device isnt using 2.4 GHz (this doesnt always affect the signal but it can; it has for me in past).

Metal, walls, floors, cordless phones, and other wireless electronics will all cause interference to your signal...the closer your router is to these the worse. You could also check what channel you are sending the signal over and change that...some channels are much clearer than others just like radio. Being in the US you can send over 1, 6, and 11. Try putting your router in the middle of the house as they generally send in all directions, unless next to a wall, than you've basically killed half your signal. Wireless repeaters and/or directional antennae may help as well if you are still having problems...

Thing here is that there are less obsticles between the two computers now. I had a buddy come check it out and he payed attention to the channels. It seems to be on the best one. He's in IT. BUT... he also had a problem hooking up my last router ((something to do with who was providing my service))

Its cable. I will look into getting something else but the cards are a year... maybe 2 years old.

802.11g should be good enough especially for a connection within the same room as you mentioned.

There must be some type of interference and most probably it will be a cordless phone. Alot of older cordless phones use 2.4 GHz frequencies (range). Do you have these type of phones in your house? If so, do a test and take the batteries out of all of them to see if this improves your data transfer. If it does, I would replace those phones with a 5.8 GHz frequency.

I should have wrote this first, but try to update your driver on the PCI wifi card (totally remove the old one).

I've got around 5-6 of them but had them when the computer was working fine. I had thought to update the driver but kind of forgot that I had thought to do it. I will try that as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Good advice here...but I would make sure your phones or any other cordless device isnt using 2.4 GHz (this doesnt always affect the signal but it can; it has for me in past).

I have a couple of 2.8GHz devices that give me no problem, but when I first installed my wireless I had a 2.8 phone. As soon as you picked it up it took the router down to nothing! 5.8GHz is the only way to go.