[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Transplant Shock

SheikYerbuti

4 weeks ago I got my tomato plants started from seeds, indoors in peat pots. Everything went great. I put them outside into my planters about 5 days ago into soil that I airated and fertilized with compost and manure. . .and they look terrible. The leaves have lost their full green color and many of them have wilted, they look spindley and weak.

I don't know whether to overwater or underwater them. I don't know how to bring them back to life. . .I'm frustrated. It's over 30 plants that I'd hate to lose.

:wacko:

4 weeks ago I got my tomato plants started from seeds, indoors in peat pots. Everything went great. I put them outside into my planters about 5 days ago into soil that I airated and fertilized with compost and manure. . .and they look terrible. The leaves have lost their full green color and many of them have wilted, they look spindley and weak.

I don't know whether to overwater or underwater them. I don't know how to bring them back to life. . .I'm frustrated. It's over 30 plants that I'd hate to lose.

:wacko:

Might be too much (or the wrong type) manure. I'm no tomato expert, we buy seedlings and grow them on in pots filled with just potting compost (no soil or manure) outside. We have an excellent crop every year, growing two plants per large (12 inch) pot.

It really sounds like your soil mix is to blame. One other thing - are they in a windy area and is the temperature / light sufficient for them?

we buy seedlings and grow them on in pots filled with just potting compost (no soil or manure) outside.

Really? No soil, no manure at all? Just compost? I gotta look into this, since I have an unlimited supply of compost and it's free. . . :wacko:

As for wind, it has been pretty windy here. . .bad?

Really? No soil, no manure at all? Just compost? I gotta look into this, since I have an unlimited supply of compost and it's free. . . :wacko:

As for wind, it has been pretty windy here. . .bad?

We just use potting compost, as it comes in bags from the garden center. As for wind, tomatoes aren't very keen on it, especially very young ones. Cool nights will adversely affect them too.

We just use potting compost, as it comes in bags from the garden center. As for wind, tomatoes aren't very keen on it, especially very young ones. Cool nights will adversely affect them too.

Yeah, I made mistakes. I suck. . . I really didn't do any of this stuff I got off a random website:

Transplant shock and hardening off

When a plant is taken from its cosy greenhouse environment and abruptly forced to face the harsh realities of the real world, it will often react by entering a condition known as transplant shock. If this happens, all growth stops for a period of one or more weeks, and in serious cases the plant dies. To avoid transplant shock, young plants should be "hardened off" for a week to ten days before the anticipated date of transplanting. In its simplest sense, hardening off can be thought of as a horticultural version of the philosophy: That which doesn't kill us makes us strong. Over a period of days, young plants are subjected to a greater and greater degree of stress, permitting them to adapt slowly to intense light, stronger wind and some drought. To start the process your plants should first be placed outside in a partially shaded location where they will receive good shelter-the east side of a house makes a good spot to start the process. Every few days the plants can be moved to a slightly more exposed location until they are spending the day in a nearly exposed site. During the process, the plants should be kept moist but not wet. This can be a bit tricky if you are leaving them out all day while you're at work because the little cell packs dry much more quickly outside than they do in the house. A slight drought by the end of each day is ideal, but if you are not sure they will make it until you get home, you are better off to give them a good watering each morning. More than one gardener has returned home to discover crisp little tomato plants by the back door, resulting in yet another trip to the greenhouse. Of course, throughout the process of hardening off, the plants should be brought inside if there is any danger of frost.

when I transplant tomaotes I remove most of the bottom leaves and plant them as deep as possible. This helps the roots establish themselves. I use compost but have used manure some yrs ago. If it is pure manure it could burn the plants.

P.S. I have small toes already on my plants. :wacko:

I just reread your post. I wonder if you put them out to soon. How big did they get before you tranplanted them?

Maybe 6-8 inches tall.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm using too much manure, but the package says it's 5-5-5, which isn't much nitrogen at all. . . still, I may be burning them

Real men don't grow food, they shoot it. Gardening is for the wimmens... :D

It took me about a minute to figure out that you weren't talking about taking your food intravenously .

Shoot your food? :wacko: I guess... if it was put in a blender first...

I would try replanting them but plant them deep. Pull off the lower leaves. Also I would try getting some compost and remove the manure from the general area. Water them well when you transplant but do not over water after that. Hope that helps.