[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Randy McMichael fans out there?

Big Talker

The Huddle has McMichael ranked at #8, higher than most other places I've checked. Here's their take:

(+Upside) McMichael came over from the Dolphins last year and thanks to the Rams offensive scheme, he turned in the worst season of his six-year NFL career. He only had 39 catches for 429 yards and three scores which was higher than any Rams tight end had done in many years thanks to Mike Martz, but it was still a little worse than even McMichael’s rookie season. The introduction of new OC Al Saunders offense this year will provide McMichael with a great chance to turn in his best season ever. This is the same offense that allowed Tony Gonzalez to become one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history and one that views the tight end position on equal terms with the wide receivers.

As Saunders is quick to point out, he has coached a Pro Bowl tight end for eight years straight and made Chris Cooley into the main passing target in Washington the last couple of seasons. While it is difficult to envision a top fantasy tight end in St. Louis after so many years of being one of the worst teams in using the position, get over that mindset. McMichael will see more passes this year than any before and returns to being a fantasy starter this year. In most leagues he will last just because of 2007 but he has the opportunity to be a top ten if not a top five tight end this year. The Rams will throw to him and Bulger can reduce his sacks with quicker throws to McMichael instead of waiting for Holt and company to get open farther down the field. Using McMichael more is just what Bulger needs.

Ranking McMichael at 8 seems about right, considering all the quality TEs this year. But I can envision McMichael being open all day in the Ram offense, so I also agree there is a lot of upside with this guy. Going against him: he practically disappeared last year, and Bulger is not used to throwing to his TEs. But with Al Saunders running the show, and SJ and Holt commanding so much attention, I think McMichael has potential to bust out, even finishing as high as 70/800/7.

Am I crazy?

He is absolutely the best value for his draft position for a TE. I am taking him in just about any league that I can get him. He's got the talent, and now he's also got the offensive scheme and the team situation to really showcase his talent.

I'm doubtful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Scott Linehan the HC in St.Louis? and wasn't he the OC in Miami where Randy had several years of success? I had assumed that he would continue to improve and challenge for the top TE in the league, but then had his worst year.

It seems like Linehan knew Randy really well, but didn't use him, so until he actually is given the chance again, I'm staying away, even if the new OC is TE-friendly.

Yeah, I get your point. But the Ram O-line was a disaster last year, and with SJ and Bulger missing so much time with injuries, I'm not as concerned about McMichael's production. You can almost write off the Ram offensive stats from last year.

Anyone going to make a joke about Savage Beatings replying to a Randy McMichael thread?

Come on......... nobody?

A joke about how savvy I am for getting a good value when I can find it? :wacko::D

At the end of the season let's compare value for Witten at 2.02 (18th overall) vs. McMichael at 12.05 (181st overall). :D

Edited by Savage Beatings

A joke about how savvy I am for getting a good value when I can find it? :wacko:

Was aiming at more of a joke on McMike and his past run-ins with "savage beatings'.

But that one works.

I'm intrigued on McMichael because of the hiring of Al Saunders as the OC. He seems to love the 2 TE set, and one of them is always a decent to good fantasy producer.

If Gates, Witten, Winslow Jr, Gonzo etc. (<insert productive TE here>) are gone, I'd take a flyer on him.

Edited by Valhalla

A joke about how savvy I am for getting a good value when I can find it? :wacko::D

At the end of the season let's compare value for Witten at 2.02 (18th overall) vs. McMichael at 12.05 (181st overall). :D

How about we compare value of

McMike at 12.05 and Donald Lee at 16.02 :D

well, I suppose you're right.

How does their OL look coming up?

Well, Orlando Pace will be back, so that's a good thing. And they picked up G Jacob Bell in free agency, which will also help. They've also acquired a couple of rookie linemen, one of whom (John Greco) has a chance to become the starting center. And they have a new O-line coach, Steve Loney, though I don't know much about him. Saunders is good at utilizing his talent, so that's a factor on the plus side.

Overall, I would say that if Pace can stay healthy this year (kind of a big if since he's only started 9 games the last 2 seasons due to injuries), the Ram O-line should be okay, and definitely better than last year. They're not a top notch unit, but I think there is good reason to believe that their run blocking and pass protection won't be liabilities as they were last year, assuming of course they aren't decimated by injuries again.