[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bee Removal Experts

Chavez

F'n moran. Makes me sad to see. Because I used to raise bees I'll explain what was happening here. A bee hive consists of three kinds of bees: one queen, who lays the eggs and who the whole colony depends on for its existence, the thousands of female workers, and during mating season a bunch of drones whose sole purpose is to mate with the queen and then live off the labors of the worker bees. When a hive grows too much in population the hive will split. A new queen will be produced and when ready she will leave the hive taking thousands of worker bees with her. Wherever she lands the workers will swarm over her making the "ball" of bees as seen in the photos. Scouts are then sent out to find a suitable place to start a new hive, a hollow tree, a hole in a wall, an abandoned piece of equipment, etc. The queen will then fly to that new home and the bees will set up a new hive.

Before the bees leave the original hive they gorge themselves with honey to live on while they are in transistion. And like TimC after his big Thanksgiving feast they are in no mood to start a fight or be very aggressive because of their "stuffed" condition. They are actually very docile and you would have to poke them with a stisk (or throw Athenae at them) to make them attack you. Maybe some of you have seen pictures of "crazy" people with a "beard" made of bees. What that person has done is captured (or bought) a queen and has her in a small box that he has hung from his mouth with a string. The bees from her colony will then make that ball around her and while it looks terrifying the bees are actually pretty calm. I have literally put my bare hand into one of these swarms of bees and not been stung once. In fact, it was seeing such a swarm land in one of my trees at the farm that got me started into beekeeping in the first place. I captured that queen and started my first hive.

So this azzhole believing himself to be so brave or clever leaves me nonplussed. Any local beekeepers would have come and captured that swarm for f'n FREE (I've done so many times) and those bees would now be making honey along with pollinating our fruits and vegetables.

:wacko:

While I know the intention was to be funny, he's pretty ignorant for the way he went about it.

Yeah...especially when we have a bee problem across the US.

I dont like killing any living thing for no reason what-so-ever...especially if he could have gotten someone to remove the queen for free as HR mentioned.

fine upstanding young man