[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless Camera Security system

H8tank

Anyone have any experience? Thinking motion based recording, a few wireless cameras using a PC as the recorder, any ideas or advice?

PM me your email address...I'll ask my friend who owns a company that installs them for high net-worth individuals to contact you. He'd be happy to give you sound, free advice.

This is for a friend, I protect my home with guns and dogs.

He was looking at cheap radio shack crap, I told him no way to buy that junk, so I am looking around for him, I know a wire is much, much better, but is is a big house, and he wants to be able to move or add another camera easy... hence the no wires.

Thanks for the offer swammi, this guy has plenty of coin... but his starting point was $90 radio shackcrap. :wacko:

This is more for convience than protecting a warehouse of vintage Chevy vegas, so he just wants something inexpensive that works ok. If that cannot be done, and he needs to go the expensive route, then there we are.

More sophisticated hieves will roam a neighborhood with a wireless scanner to pick up signal. Then they can see what's in your house and if you're home.

Almost every camera can be set up with encryption, but most people just don't enable it because they don't know what they are doing.

So... it's true that wireless cameras are lower quality and more unreliable than wired cameras. We don't use them in pro installations. We'll dig trenches and run pipe if we have to.

But for home use, the CostCo systems aren't that bad. People who don't expect much can get use from them.

I have neighbors who've picked up other babies on their baby video monitors cuz the signals got crossed.

I've picked up other houses on mine too. So, I switched channels, but I bet they could still tune in on me. My wife bought digital ones today because the old ones are nearly dead. I think these will be better so the neighbors won't have to hear my singing.