[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Family Tents

idahov

I'm looking at upgrading the family tent from a POS 3person I bought ten years ago. It needs to fit the wife and I plus my two rugrats, so I'm leaning towards a 6person. Full rain fly and aluminum poles are a must from my previous experiences.

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Marmot Halo 6 or the Sierra Designs Bedouin 6, but have also looked at North Face and Big Agnes tents. Anybody have any experience with these, or other family size tents? Any suggestions?

I wouldn't buy a tent without visiting the local REI. There's not a national chain I can think of that has employees who are more into the products they sell. We bought a new tent a year or two back and the dude who helped us knew everything about every tent they had.

I can't help with your particular brand of tent as we just got one big enough for the two of us and our dogs.

I'm looking at upgrading the family tent from a POS 3person I bought ten years ago. It needs to fit the wife and I plus my two rugrats, so I'm leaning towards a 6person. Full rain fly and aluminum poles are a must from my previous experiences.

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Marmot Halo 6 or the Sierra Designs Bedouin 6, but have also looked at North Face and Big Agnes tents. Anybody have any experience with these, or other family size tents? Any suggestions?

This is the one I've been looking at.

Coleman Montana Big Sky 7-Person Tent

I was in the biz for 26 years. Of the ones above I'd choose Marmot or Big Agnes. TNF has gone down in quality and IMO overpriced. I have never liked SD. Their tent flys do not offer enough separation between fly and tent wall and sag so ventilation sucks, especially if you live in humid climes.

Others to consider are the REI brand and Kelty brand. They offer very good value.

Do either get into the tents yourself or take a really good look at the specs. Compare square footage, and height at the ceiliing. When a company claims it is a 6 person tent, it doesn't mean you will comfortably get 6 people inside the tent.

I was in the biz for 26 years. Of the ones above I'd choose Marmot or Big Agnes. TNF has gone down in quality and IMO overpriced. I have never liked SD. Their tent flys do not offer enough separation between fly and tent wall and sag so ventilation sucks, especially if you live in humid climes.

Others to consider are the REI brand and Kelty brand. They offer very good value.

Do either get into the tents yourself or take a really good look at the specs. Compare square footage, and height at the ceiliing. When a company claims it is a 6 person tent, it doesn't mean you will comfortably get 6 people inside the tent.

Unfortunately, I live in a market where most stores don't carry the higher end tents. I'm a hands on type of person and it's hard to pull the trigger on something without being able to look at it first hand. Based on the specs and reviews I have read, the Marmot seems to be the best choice. Of course it is also the most expensive. You get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for the good advice. :wacko:

I recently bought a Sierra Designs two-person tent and while the fly isn't the best the tent, outside of that, is superb. Very easy to assemble, to the point that a child could do it, and priced at a reasonable amount. Just my two cents.

I just bought the Sierra Designs Bedouin 4 and all I have to say is that it kept us dry and toasty for three straight days of solid rain. Goes up stupid easy. Has plenty of ventilation and built in vestibules on both sides of the tent (an absolute must have). This thing has more pockect and storage places built in that I've ever seen in a tent before (including drink holders).

I've been a big fan a Sierra Designs for a long time now. I have an Omega 3 backpack tent that is the single most versitile tent I've ever owned.

Edited by Kid Cid

I love Kelty and Sierra is nice but I never had one.

I personally don't trust REI and find equal stuff cheaper at Campmor.com

Check here for reviews Backpacker.com

FYI-Kelty and Sierra Designs are owned by the same company-American Recreation. I have no complaint about SD tents except they don't cut and sew their rainflys tight and they make their flys out of polyester which stretches when wet so the fly lies right on the tent causing condensation, especially when it is raining. I was at an industry show once where the tents were all set up outside and it was raining. The SD rep had to keep running out in the rain and restaking his flys-they looked terrible. Maybe they are finally doing a better job-have not seen their tent designs for two years. Most flys these days are made out of poly-it's less expensive than nylon, but you've got to cut your rainflys to go on tighter so they still work when they stretch in the rain.

REI does make some nice products IMO, but some crappy ones too. It depends on the department/desgin team. I think their tents and technical outer wear are fantastic for the price, and their backpacks and sleeping bags are crap. A friend of mine is now the VP of Gear and Apparel at REI and is trying to upgrade the product areas where they are lagging. Again, I've been out of the industry for two years now and I haven't kept up on the very latest except for what I read in Backpacker magazine. I was product testing for a few companies but I'm golfing more than hiking these days so stopped doing it. I didn't get paid, just got free product that I wasn't using.

From experience, Kealty and SD both make quality products. I'm with the non-REI guys here. I think there are better deals out there and their quality can be hit or miss.

Some advice, depending on the age of your kids - stick w/two tents. Easier to get some that way...

My son and I do some backpacking, and I got some High Peak gear relatively inexpensive....2 man tent with 2 vestibules.....two good sized packs with bladder capability....2 mummy bags...I have had them for some time and am extremely happy.

FYI-Kelty and Sierra Designs are owned by the same company-American Recreation. I have no complaint about SD tents except they don't cut and sew their rainflys tight and they make their flys out of polyester which stretches when wet so the fly lies right on the tent causing condensation, especially when it is raining. I was at an industry show once where the tents were all set up outside and it was raining. The SD rep had to keep running out in the rain and restaking his flys-they looked terrible. Maybe they are finally doing a better job-have not seen their tent designs for two years. Most flys these days are made out of poly-it's less expensive than nylon, but you've got to cut your rainflys to go on tighter so they still work when they stretch in the rain.

REI does make some nice products IMO, but some crappy ones too. It depends on the department/desgin team. I think their tents and technical outer wear are fantastic for the price, and their backpacks and sleeping bags are crap. A friend of mine is now the VP of Gear and Apparel at REI and is trying to upgrade the product areas where they are lagging. Again, I've been out of the industry for two years now and I haven't kept up on the very latest except for what I read in Backpacker magazine. I was product testing for a few companies but I'm golfing more than hiking these days so stopped doing it. I didn't get paid, just got free product that I wasn't using.

:wacko:

Awesome