[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Atlanta Huddlers

Tford

In the early stages of planning a vacation that will include 3 or 4 days in Atlanta. Of course, I'd like to plan it so that I can catch a Falcons game or even a Thrashers game but if I do so, I'm going to need some help finding good stuff to keep the Mrs. happy.

Looking for a few things from you guys as far as recommendations go:

1) Best area of town to stay in, maybe even a hotel recommendation?

2) Good restaurants

3) Attractions that a guy should see while there

4) Shopping centres to keep the Mrs. happy

TIA

The Georgia Dome and Philips Arena are close to each other in the downtown area.

Best areas are more of your preference if you don't mind driving, there are some good spots north of the city or stay downtown if you want to stay by the sports facitities. Ask swammi about hotels.

One hugh problem here is that it is geared more for conventions and not tourists so attractions are more limited than other metropolitan areas this size. A big one is the Georgia Aquarium that opened downtown a couple years ago. And Six Flags a little west of the city. Or culturally, the High Museum of Art in Midtown (north of downtown)

For some other entertainment, the Buckhead area (NE of midtown) would be a good area. Trendy area and likely some restaurants you may like, plut a couple shopping malls in that area. (For higher-end shopping, there is the Perimeter Mall north of that off the north end of I-285)

Ask swammi about hotels.

Downtown, while convenient, may not give you a true flavor of Atlanta. You'll also pay premium for convenience tot he busines district which may not be of interest to you.

Buckhead is the upscale, ritzy area,a nd a wonderful place to stay if the wife likes to shop and enjoy great restaurants. Rough part is that it is exceptionlly pricy for hotels ($160+ for a basic Hamtpon Inn)

Next pocket of hotels to the north is the Perimeter area. more traditional suburban, good shops and food, close to MARTA (whcih will get you whereever you want in Atlanta for $2 per trip). We own the Hilton Suites here if you want me to check on a rate for you.

Even further north is Roswell/Alpharetta...you'll get decent value for your hotel dollar here. And while Alpharetta is new and growing, you are not far from the historically quaint Roswell area, which your wife would love. Boutiques, artsy, etc. We just bought the Doubeltree hotel here, if you want some help. Most hotels offer free transport to MARTA, so you can part your car and forget about if for a couple days if you are doing stuff along the MARTA lines(Marta Map)

Roswell is about 35-40 minutes from downtown, Perimeter 25-30, Buckhead 15-20.

If you can afford it, stay in Buckhead...if you don't mind some driving, stay in Perimeter or Roswell/Alpharetta.

Hotel price range that you want to stay within?

Probably don't want to go over $250-300 a night. We will be going on a cruise after our stay in Atlanta so I'd rather drop a bit more to make sure that our last few nights on land are relaxing in case it takes a night or two to get our sealegs.

Edited by Tford

Probably don't want to go over $250-300 a night. We will be going on a cruise after our stay in Atlanta so I'd rather drop a bit more to make sure that our last few nights on land are relaxing in case it takes a night or two get our sealegs.

There is a Sheraton across from Lenox Mall/Phipps Plaza in Buckhead off of Lenox Rd, in Buckhead. You can get into midtown and downtown quickly from there to see the aquarium and you will be within walking distance of good restaurants and 3 million + SF of retail. You can also get to the Six FLags and Stone Mountain Parks from there rather quickly.

ETA

YOu are also one and a half blocks from a MARTA Station.

I have stayed there once, really drunk and couldn't drive home, and remember it being fairly nice.

Edited by SEC=UGA

I would probably recommend staying in Buckhead for convenience to restaurants and some nightlife as well as shopping. I can recommend a few restaurants if you're interested.

I'd try Priceline or Hotwire for a 5star hotel in Buckhead for $100 or less a night. This will usually get you the Intercontinental which is very nice and sometimes even the Ritz. I've done this a few times for the wife and I to escape the burbs.

You can also take Marta pretty easily from Buckhead downtown to the Aquarium (a must see) and Ga. Dome/Phillips.

Some of the best shopping in Atlanta is in Buckhead with Lenox and Phipps Malls right across the streets from each other too.

Other things you may want to check out:

Stone Mountain Park - Good for Hiking, picnic, etc but you'll have to drive there.

World of Coke - Haven't been to the new one right by the Aquarium but hear it's pretty cool.

Fox Theater - If you are interested in a show.

List of Other Things

Looks like the SHeraton may have been bought out, can't find it on the Sheraton web page. I'll drive by on the way home and see if it has in fact changed. THe Intercontinental is a good place to stay, also very convenient to everything, then there is the Mariott at Tower Place that ain't bad.

I'd try Priceline or Hotwire for a 5star hotel in Buckhead for $100 or less a night. This will usually get you the Intercontinental which is very nice and sometimes even the Ritz. I've done this a few times for the wife and I to escape the burbs.

Actually, it's 4-stars not 5 that gets you the Intercontinental. I just looked on Hotwire and there is a 4-star in Buckhead at the end of July for $89/night. I'd almost guarantee it's the Intercontinental. That means you can probably get it on Priceline for $75 or $80 / night doing 4-star Buckhead.

That's a heck of a deal!

I like Staying in Midtown. Fav Hotel is the brand new W Midtown. 5 star trendy a pretty good restaurant in the hotel, the spice market ($$$). within walking distance of some bars and clubs. They have an Acura test-drive service that will get you pretty much anyplace you want to go in atlanta (you just have to get a ride back). We used it to go to the Aquarium. If you got to the Coke museum/aquarium, try to go on a weekday. It is packed to the gills (pun intended) on the weekends. Limerick Junction (Irish Pub) is in the virginia highland area not far from the hotel.

If you want to go the Buckhead route I would stay at the Grand Hyatt. pretty nice place, close to the Intercontinental and the Ritz which both have really good in house restaurants. Pied au Cochon (Pig feet) is a french restaurant with good seafood in the Intercontinental. The Hyatt also has a free shuttle service. There is a nice restaurant with live Jazz on weekends called Sambuca. The Tuna appetizer is awesome. Can get a little loud though, if you are there during the live music ask for a table further away from the stage if you want to have a conversation. Dantes down the hatch is an Atlanta Favorite. Fondue and a great wine list. they also do live jazz. The Fado Irish pub in Buckhead is also great. The hotel is close to Lennox Square Mall too.

For Breakfast, find a flying biscuit, or have the hotel find the closest one for you. its worth it. Or go back to Fado for the Irish breakfast.

I don't live there now but was stationed in GA twice and spent quite a bit of time in ATL. Was just there for my block leave. One of my Favorite weekend getaways.

If I think of anything else I'll post later.

I don't think Tford is a ghey...

I saw a bumper sticker hte other day:

I'm not black and I'm not Ghey

But I live in Atlanta any way.