[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Conn Smythe? curious who you think

redwings.cup

The Captain.

He has played the playoffs on one knee. He has been a top playoff scorer and could end up leading the NHL for playoff scoring. Without him, the Wings would not have made it to the Finals.

I would say that Hasek was a bit too inconsistent early on to win the Conn Smythe. Sure, he has 5 shutouts, but he also had numerous subpar games.

I would give it right now to Yzerman. I think Hull still has a shot though.

After three series, I'd go with Yzerman since he's shown so much heart and determination. Hasek has had 5 shutouts, the most in NHL playoff history (all things relative since the league expanded to include four rounds). That'll be worthy of consideration.

Chavez:

And if the 'Canes win the Cup?

Not likely. The only possible candidate then would be Arturs Irbe. As Darren Pang pointed out, it's up to Irbe to decide if this will be a series or not. They can't do this without the type of goaltending that will make both Hasek and Roy line up to carry that guy's jock around.

Chavez:

And if the 'Canes win the Cup?

that's a separate question, of course, as we were discussing the Smythe as if the vote were held today, but if the canes pull out the miracle of the new millennium, I would say it would have to be due to Irbe standing on his head. in that case, he would get the MVP.

Guest Azazello13

i'd say it's there for the taking. if no one steps up and scores a bunch of points for the winning team, they'll probably just give it to the winning goalie. forsberg might still have an outside shot, and by god i think he deserves it as much as anyone.

Guest Azazello13
redwings.cup:

forsberg has no shot.  when was the last time a player from a team not participating in the Finals won the Smythe?  Forskin wink    was great in many of the playoff games leading up to the Detroit series, but Lidstrom played him like the extra piece of skin he is.

riiight. that's why forsberg was the leading scorer in the series.. :D

Azazello13:

redwings.cup:

forsberg has no shot.  when was the last time a player from a team not participating in the Finals won the Smythe?  Forskin    wink  was great in many of the playoff games leading up to the Detroit series, but Lidstrom played him like the extra piece of skin he is.

riiight. that's why forsberg was the leading scorer in the series.. :D
yes, he scored a TON in the last two games.... lol

Forsberg was the leading assist-getter, sure. He was held to a pathetic 11 SOG in 7 games, and scored only two (one of which was the "skate redirect" goal). So to say he should win the Conn Smythe because he played on the only Avs line that put up any points at all is a little f'n ridiculous, especially since his team went home before the Finals.

Peace

policy

Guest Azazello13

i'm not saying forsberg will win it, or even that he should. but...

who has been better and more valuable in this year's playoffs than he has? yzerman? don't make me f'n laugh. hasek? he's been solid but not spectacular.

if the wings win it and no scorer steps up huge for them in the finals, they'll give it to hasek because the winning goalie is kind of the default conn smythe absent any other clear candidate. but so far in these playoffs, forsberg has been the best player, and gary roberts would probably be second.

Guest Azazello13

by the way, anyone who's ever watched forsberg much knows he doesn't shoot the puck much. he looks pass first almost to a fault. 11 shots in 7 games isn't at all atypical for him. but neither is 27 points and +8 in 21 games of playoff hockey.

Azazello13:

i'm not saying forsberg will win it, or even  that he should.  but...

who has been better and more valuable in this year's playoffs than he has?  yzerman?  don't make me f'n laugh.  hasek?  he's been solid but not spectacular. 

if the wings win it and no scorer steps up huge for them in the finals, they'll give it to hasek because the winning goalie is kind of the default conn smythe absent any other clear candidate.  but so far in these playoffs, forsberg has been the best player, and gary roberts would probably be second.

here is the answer. the Wings have been so superior since game #3 of the Canucks series... i propose...... a team conn smythe recognizing the superiority of the franchise.....

Guest Azazello13
redwings.cup:

here is the answer. the Wings have been so superior since game #3 of the Canucks series... i propose...... a team conn smythe recognizing the superiority of the franchise.....

:D

could you possibly be more of a jackass homer?

I will almost guarantee that the media will give it to Hasek, so long as he plays well in the finals. I would give it to Yzerman because of the way he has played throughout the playoffs on a bad knee and he has scored numerous big goals, but the media loves hyping up Hasek and giving him the Conn Smythe will be another way to do it.

Okay, here is my .02 for what it is worth. If Detroit wins, then it is Hasek--plain and simple no questions..no debates.

If and I repeat IF the Canes pull a miracle and get the upset, I think Forsberg gets it because it is the feel--good story of the playoffs and people eat that stuff up.

Plus if Detroit loses, it will go down as not only

a huge upset, but one of the biggest chokes in the

history of the game which in turn would probably

eliminate any of their players from the running.

Again that is a big IF...

Forsberg has about as much a chance of winning the Conn Smythe as I do, actually less since I'm not under contract to any NHL team right now and he's not even in the finals.

If Detroit wins it will be a Detroit player, if Carolina wins, it will be a Carolina player. That's the way it always is, always will, and always should be. The problem with picking the winner from the Wings is that the team is so well balanced that not one player stands out and that each game, a new player comes to the front. It will be a hard choice.

That is just the thing here. There is no clear cut favorite to win it at this point. :confused:

You could make a case for Hull, getting the crucial tying goal on Saturday that led to the 3 OT thriller and beaking the ice in Game 4. He has been terrific.

Federov was all over the ice tonight and he has had a very good series too. The Professor scoring 3 goals in the last two games. Yzerman has also had a good series. I don't think Hasek gets it just because he looked shaky at times and the Detroit D (which is very underrated) really shut down the Canes over the last six periods of hockey, although he has been better.

I think that you should start a poll with this question. It will be interesting to see who gets more votes. :D