[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Property Taxes

theeohiostate

I get properties re-zoned for a living (among other things), but have never attempted to re-zone a property from residential (assuming this is what your property is) to agricultural. I know, however, that you have to have a certain percentage of the property actually being used for agricultural purposes.

I get properties re-zoned for a living (among other things), but have never attempted to re-zone a property from residential (assuming this is what your property is) to agricultural. I know, however, that you have to have a certain percentage of the property actually being used for agricultural purposes.

I only use about 3 acres for my residence, pool, front yard, pole barn etc. The other is woods, creek and cliff.....

It was originally agriculture when i purchased it, then it got pushed to residential.

Edited by theeohiostate

I only use about 3 acres for my residence, pool, front yard, pole barn etc. The other is woods, creek and cliff.....

It was originally agriculture when i purchased it, then it got pushed to residential.

I think you have to have an active agricultural use on x-amount of your property to even be considered for the re-zone. And that's only a small portion of what the process would entail. The process would also - likely - include quite a bit of paperwork, and possibly an appearance at your local city council meeting.

A competent realtor (boy, I hope this doesn't open up a can o' worms) should be able to tell you what your local jurisdiction will require in terms of percent-used as ag. Or you could hire me... :wacko:

I have a project in Delaware (yes, Delaware) where the developers are keeping some of the properties they purchased for their large residential project as ag-land to, as you're trying to do here, save money on taxes. They have to keep cows grazing out there.

:wacko:

:D You laugh, but it's a use that the local jurisdiction deems appropriate to keep the property classified as agricultural. It's funny to see all this new development (it's a monstrous development) with random patches of cow-grazing land (and corn, for that matter). Better than the chicken ranches they had out there previously. Stanky.

But yeah, TOS, feel free to PM me if you have detailed/personal questions.

FYI...you can put a donkey on your land and get the exemption. But if the donkey performs in "shows," you must pay miscellaneous income taxes on the proceeds.

I learned that the hard way.

I don't know if this is for pure comedic value or not... but if not, this is completely untrue. Maybe here in God's country (aside from Austin) that's possible, but not everywhere else.

I don't know if this is for pure comedic value or not... but if not, this is completely untrue. Maybe here in God's country (aside from Austin) that's possible, but not everywhere else.

It was a poor attempt at humor. Please don't go out and buy a donkey.

what steps do i need to take in order to have my property re-zoned for something that will reduce my property taxes.

Montgomery County- Ohio

12.96 acres , I'm paying $14,000 per year now

Any way to get this zoned agriculture is what i was wondering ?

You might be able to do something by planting some trees (say that you are raising timber). It's worth checking into, I suppose.