[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So splain to me like I'm an idiot....

rocknrobn26

RR juniorette just bought one, but I understand that they somehow link themselves to your PC. I thought an MPEG player was a better choice. :wacko:

So: (I guess it boils down to how proprietary this iPod is! I hate proprietary devices! :D )

Does that mean you can only use it on one system? Or can it be linked to several?

Assuming the system crashes, but you backed up your d/l's, can you restore/still use them off the BU drive?

Can you rip a CD to the PC and then the upload to the iPod?

In general, what restrictions are there from PC to iPod, what should she be aware of?

BTW, it's an 8Gb.

TIA

Edited by rocknrobn26

You should find the iPod and iTunes pretty easy to work with.

Each iPod can only be linked to one system, as far as I am aware, but there can be up to 5 iPods in sync with any one pc.

Yes, files can be backed up.

You can rip a CD using iTunes or other software and import into iTunes for loading onto the iPod. You will want to have an active link to the internet when ripping CDs with iTunes, otherwise the album name and track titles do not come across and import into the device.

I have not come across any real restrictions other than you can't dump a bunch of music on an iPod and move it to another pc. There is probably a work around to this, but I've never had the need to pursue it.

I was not real hip on the iPod fuss, but once my wife and daugher got them I had to have one for myself. We've got 3 of them in the family and they are reliable, nice little gadgets.

You should find the iPod and iTunes pretty easy to work with.

Each iPod can only be linked to one system, as far as I am aware, but there can be up to 5 iPods in sync with any one pc.

Yes, files can be backed up.

You can rip a CD using iTunes or other software and import into iTunes for loading onto the iPod. You will want to have an active link to the internet when ripping CDs with iTunes, otherwise the album name and track titles do not come across and import into the device.

I have not come across any real restrictions other than you can't dump a bunch of music on an iPod and move it to another pc. There is probably a work around to this, but I've never had the need to pursue it.

I was not real hip on the iPod fuss, but once my wife and daugher got them I had to have one for myself. We've got 3 of them in the family and they are reliable, nice little gadgets.

Thanks Jimmy! :D

But the fact it's linked to one...count 'em ONE PC scares me. What happens if/when your main PC takes a dump? :wacko:

I have a phone w/ stereo BT, (Yes I have a stereo headset that works great) and a 2 Gb card. All I do is d/l to my pc and transfer to the phone. And w/ sky's help, I'll prolly never buy another cd! :D

TY Sky! :D

This is a very easy workaround.

Plug the Ipod in. from my computer, double click on the Ipod. Set the file settings to allow you to view hidden files. Navigate to the Music files, which are in the hidden folder. They will be in subfolders labelled F0, F1 etc. and each song will be a 6 digit code for file name. Copy those to the machine, then import that into iTunes to have the song names/artists etc. deciphered.

This is a very easy workaround.

Plug the Ipod in. from my computer, double click on the Ipod. Set the file settings to allow you to view hidden files. Navigate to the Music files, which are in the hidden folder. They will be in subfolders labelled F0, F1 etc. and each song will be a 6 digit code for file name. Copy those to the machine, then import that into iTunes to have the song names/artists etc. deciphered.

TY, BC! :wacko:

Will print this for the daughter.

good answer here

Thanks for that, but my non-geek daughter will never understand that. Just want to know what happens if/when her puter pukes! :wacko:

May be I'm being to vague,. Basically just want to know how this Apple thing works!

God I wish she would have just gotten an MPG player instead! :D

If her music library isn't too large, you can back it up to DVD just in case, or store all on another removable USB or Firewire HD instead of the machine HD. You would just link your iTunes lib to the external drive. I have all my music on an external Firewire HD that i bought just for the music library. That way it doesn't clog up the drive space. I have over 18,000 songs (about 88 gig) of music that's easily moved around. A friend of mine had an issue with his machine and luckily i had him buy a drive, put his and both his kids libraries on it (plus pictures, documents and anything he didn't want to lose. The machine crashed and the drive had to be wiped out but since the music was on the external, they didn't lose anything.

Once you get the feel of iTunes and the iPod, you'll love it. You can authorize other PC or Macs to use any purchased music, but if you rip it from your own CD collection, then you can do anything with it with no limits. When i buy a CD from iTunes store, i'll make a music CD from it (not mp3) then if something happens, you always have a CD to re-rip from, plus you can play it on your stereo or car player. Once its converted back from MPEG to aif, its not protected as far as i can tell.

If her music library isn't too large, you can back it up to DVD just in case, or store all on another removable USB or Firewire HD instead of the machine HD. You would just link your iTunes lib to the external drive. I have all my music on an external Firewire HD that i bought just for the music library. That way it doesn't clog up the drive space. I have over 18,000 songs (about 88 gig) of music that's easily moved around. A friend of mine had an issue with his machine and luckily i had him buy a drive, put his and both his kids libraries on it (plus pictures, documents and anything he didn't want to lose. The machine crashed and the drive had to be wiped out but since the music was on the external, they didn't lose anything.

Once you get the feel of iTunes and the iPod, you'll love it. You can authorize other PC or Macs to use any purchased music, but if you rip it from your own CD collection, then you can do anything with it with no limits. When i buy a CD from iTunes store, i'll make a music CD from it (not mp3) then if something happens, you always have a CD to re-rip from, plus you can play it on your stereo or car player. Once its converted back from MPEG to aif, its not protected as far as i can tell.

Thanks CL! :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...