[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car problems...battery light comes on when idle

bigmike4969

I own a 2000 ford focus. Today my girlfriend and I are out shopping, when I notice that, at every stop I come to, my battery light comes on. It did not start any rough idling or anything like that. When I started to drive the light went off. Well we decided after it did this a couple of times to head home. On the way home the radio started flickering on and off, then finally lost power. My wipers slowed down to a crawl and the dashboard stuff was going nuts (lights turning on and off, spedometer and fuel needles all went to zero), but thankfully the car did not stall. I was able to make it home (it did start to bog down as I got on my street) and shut it off. Tried to turn it over but all it did was make a clicking sound. The dashboard lights did come on when I tried this.

So I am calling AAA tomorrow to tow it to my mechanic, but as I dont know jack about cars I wanted to see what you guys and gals think it could be (battery? alternator?).

Thanks for any help.

You have to get up to 88 miles per hour for the flux capacitor to generate the 1.21 gigawatts.

:wacko: ONE POINT TWENTY ONE GIGAWATTS?!??!?!? :D

Yup, it was the alternator. Battery was fine; it just needed to be 'juiced up'. I also asked them to check the belts and everything was good.

Thanks all!!