[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drury to the Flames!

Guest Azazello13

Guest Azazello13

yowsa, pretty big deal went down today.

Avs send Fs chris drury and stephan yelle,

Flames send D derek morris and Fs dean mcammond and jeff shantz.

morris is a pretty solid puck-moving defenseman, and still getting better, but drury seems like a pretty high price to pay, and yelle's been a fixture on that avs third line forever. i'm not totally opposed to moving drury (which the emergence of reinprecht makes possible), but i think they could have got a better player than morris for him if they shopped him to a big-market team closer to the trading deadline.

Guest Azazello13
Trojanmojo:

Personally, I think Drury is a stud and if he gets a chance on the #1 or 2 line up in Calgary he'll score 30+ goals.

don't get me wrong, i LOVE drury. but he's not a stud. he's versatile, he's got a good shot, he's got pretty good offensive talent, and he's got a HUGE competitive spirit and a knack for the big goal. but 30+ goals playing for calgary is highly unlikely, even if they have him center iginla (which i doubt they will), or put him on the wing opposite iginla with conroy in the middle (possible). he's just not quite that good a player.

but i really do hate to see him go. :D the avs second line suddenly looks pretty weak, even with forsberg back presumably healthy. they need another winger who can light the lamp BAD. forsberg is a passer, and who's he got to pass to? i think they're kind of counting on this kid nedorost, but they need to be ready to pull the trigger in a hurry if he doesn't flourish.

Guest Azazello13
Egret:

I'm sure the Avs can buy... errr, I mean trade for another winger in the spring. :P

well, at least the avs "buy" their talent through the draft and by trading valuable players and prospects. some other teams (we won't mention any names) buy theirs with a fortune of pure cash money begotten by cr@ppy pizza.

Hey Azello, what is your point. The Avs have done the same thing but they got their talent at the end of the year and then gave them huge contracts at the beginning of the next (same thing as getting them as free agents). The Avs did not bring all their talent up from the draft or the minors. They got Roy, Forsberg, Blake and Borque and Reinprict from trades and then signed most of them to huge contracts. The only great player I know they brought up through the draft is Sakic. The Wings (the team you are refrring to) brought up Federov, Lidstrom and Yzerman through their drafts. Hasek and Shannahan came in trades and they signed free agents such as Hull and Robitallie. What is the difference? The only problem is that the high paid free agents sign with other teams instead of Colorado unless they are already on Colorado. The Wings follow the rules like every other team in the league. The Avs will do what they do every year at the trade deadline and get a great player and then sign him at the beginning of the following year. I have no problem with what either team has done. Sounds like sour grapes! You would not even have a competitive team in Colorado without the graces of Quebec and Eric Lindros.

About the trade, I like Morris and McAmmond but do not know enough about Shantz. Think that Calgary got the better deal. Morris is a good defenseman but he has had injury problems the past two years.

From what I've heard on the radio, the past day. The Avs were clearly in the market for a defensemen. (They tried to deal Tanguay or Heyduk, but I don't think the Flames liked their contracts)I haven't seen evough of Morris to know if it is a good trade, but Mike Haynes, Av's radio announcer clearly thought it was a good deal. I don't know if the other two forwards from Calgary will pan out, but I never question Pierre Lacriox(sp?) Reinprecht was supposed to be a throw in in the Blake deal, and I think he has talent almost equal to Drury.

The AV's also seem to believe the NHL is really going to clamp down, on the clutching and grabbing.(We will see about Jan. if that is true, So they think dean mcammond and jeff shantz will give them decent speed.

I like Drury also, and I'm sorry to see him go

Azazello13:

yowsa, pretty big deal went down today.

Avs send Fs chris drury and stephan yelle,

Flames send D derek morris and Fs dean mcammond and jeff shantz.

morris is a pretty solid puck-moving defenseman, and still getting better, but drury seems like a pretty high price to pay, and yelle's been a fixture on that avs third line forever.  i'm not totally opposed to moving drury (which the emergence of reinprecht makes possible), but i think they could have got a better player than morris for him if they shopped him to a big-market team closer to the trading deadline.

i have not seen morris enough to really make an educated comment, and the Avs do seem to know what they're doing, but on the face of it, they gave away an awful lot. Drury is a huge playoff performer and somebody who could skate as top 6 on any team in NHL. should have gotten more, imo

Anyone wondering about Morris' abilities can rest assured that he will become a star. I have been watching Morris play since his junior days in Regina and he is a great defenseman that will only get better. He has size, scoring ability and toughness, and keep in mind that he has been playing on a weak team his entire NHL career. On a team with great offense and great two-way forwards he may just become a superstar. I think in a couple of years it will become clear that Colorado got the best of this deal. Calgary just didn't need him that badly right now, as they have a great young d-man in Leopold coming up. Plus in a couple of years Morris would have commanded a huge salary on the UFA market and Calgary just can't compete. Better to get good value for him while he's young and far enough away from free agency to entice another team to give up a good player.

Guest Azazello13

the more i hear about this deal, the more i think it may have been a great move for the avs. playing in calgary, morris isn't a name a lot of people know real well. but from what i've heard, people in the know rank this kid up there with (if not ahead of) eric brewer and brad stuart as young defensemen who are good now and could really become special. in fact, i've heard a lot of people saying that if he hadn't gotten hurt last year, he would have been selected for the canadian olympic team -- considering the strength of that blueline unit, and all the great defensemen team canada had to choose from, i think that fact says a LOT about this kid's talent.

Guest Azazello13

for what it's worth, from espn.com. both guys have good points.

Barry Melrose:

Obviously, Lawrence you don't know much about Derek Morris. By acquiring Morris, Colorado didn't "marginally" improve their defense -- this kid is awesome. At only 24, he's a tough, physical leader. He's got a big shot and he can play the power play. Add Morris alongside Rob Blake and Adam Foote and Colorado, once again, has the best defense in the NHL. 
John Buccigross:
Avalanche grinder Dan Hinote said of Drury last year: "That's what makes him a winner his whole life and that's what makes him a leader."

Winner. Leader. You DON'T trade winner, leader.

What was Pierre Lacroix thinking? Was this personal? Because personnel wise, it makes no sense to trade a man of Drury's ability, durability and his addiction for being clutch. Clutch is EVERYTHING in life. Perhaps in his den, Lacroix mumbles to himself, "Drury, Shhrury. If Radim Vrbata played with the players Drury has played with, he'd have all those game-winning goals, too."

In this era of sports, nearly every athlete is well-trained, well-coached, well-conditioned and dedicated to his or her sport. The games are lighting fast, with little room. Strength, speed and agility are certainly important, but since so many athletes have those qualities, there aren't many out-of-shape dogs competing. Therefore, the smart athlete is who makes the difference. Tiger Woods is the smartest golfer; that's why he is No. 1. He knows how to act, how to plan, how to execute. The Patriots won the Super Bowl last year because they have smart coaches and smart players. Smarts and hearts will win most times.