[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is soccer bashing still cool?

bconngemini

I was watching a recent soccer bashing talking head on ESPN and noticed a change of attitude from other hosts, and although I would have certainly agreed with him 3 years ago (I used to really hate soccer) I think the attitudes on soccer are starting to change to more positive. I actually wrote a piece for my local newspaper before the last world cup on how america is against soccer because its sissy and boring...etc, but I've recently changed my opinion (after watching ESPN's euro 08 broadcasts this summer).... Anyway the soccer basher host didn't get the usual approval that soccer bashers get, but there was actual disagreement on soccer being an inferior sport...

So what do you think, have we as a nation stopped hating soccer? Is soccer bashing still considered a sign of masculinity and patriotism or is it outdated?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Soccer sucks more than anything has ever sucked. Imagine the average NFL player taking a dive anytime anyone comes within 2 feet of them? That's the part I hate the most about soccer.

The only reason soccer is so popular worldwide is because it's the cheapest sport out there. You don't even need a ball in some countries.

It's not so much that bashing soccer is cool, it's just that soccer itself is still just very very homospectacular. But you're right... it is becoming more masculine lately... now it's right up there behind male figure skating and women's golf. Way to go soccer! Good for you! :wacko:

Soccer sucks more than anything has ever sucked. Imagine the average NFL player taking a dive anytime anyone comes within 2 feet of them? That's the part I hate the most about soccer.

The only reason soccer is so popular worldwide is because it's the cheapest sport out there. You don't even need a ball in some countries.

I doubt people watch a particular sport based on how cheap it is. Whether you are watching soccer, basketball, baseball or any other sport it costs the exact same. And if cheapness = popularity, then wrestling would be the most popular sport in the world.

Anyway back to the question, is soccer bashing still cool?

It's not so much that bashing soccer is cool, it's just that soccer itself is still just very very homospectacular. But you're right... it is becoming more masculine lately... now it's right up there behind male figure skating and women's golf. Way to go soccer! Good for you! :wacko:

DOes that make the whole world overseas homosexual...why don't they see it as feminine like we do? I don't get how our opinion can be so opposite to the rest of humanity. Why can't everyone else except us understand that soccer is "very very homospectacular"????

Edited by bconngemini

I think the cost does relate to it's popularity overseas. You tend to like sports you've actually played. For example, we had no hockey rinks around when I was a kid so I cannot relate at all to hockey as I've never played it once. Poor countries and places (like Europe) tend to gravitate towards it because you simply roll a ball out and kick it around for a couple of hours. ::wacko:

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but that's the argument they use as to why baseball isn't more popular there....because it's too expensive to play. Or so I've heard.

In the English Premier League, the fans will really get on players who dive (even those on their own team). In the German Bundesliga, diving is also not such a big problem. The worst are the Italians and if you have to watch them play, I certainly can understand your feelings.

I think the cost does relate to it's popularity overseas. You tend to like sports you've actually played. For example, we had no hockey rinks around when I was a kid so I cannot relate at all to hockey as I've never played it once. Poor countries and places (like Europe) tend to gravitate towards it because you simply roll a ball out and kick it around for a couple of hours. ::wacko:

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but that's the argument they use as to why baseball isn't more popular there....because it's too expensive to play. Or so I've heard.

hmmm...all you need for baseball is a wooden bat and a little ball, and its popular in many poor third world countries.

I doubt that soccer is popular in Europe because "you simply roll a ball out and kick it around for a couple of hours". Europeans can afford any sport they want, and NFL Europe failed there as did baseball despite decades of trying to be established. And I don't see how people love a sport because it is "cheap". Why would someone watch a sport because it is cheap? Proffesional soccer generates more money than the NFL, MLB and NBA combined and soccer players in Europe are multimillionaires. In fact, the equivelant of 18.2 billion $ is invested in soccer in Europe each year, more than enough to afford any sport imaginable.

Edited by bconngemini

hmmm...all you need for baseball is a wooden bat and a little ball, and its popular in many poor third world countries.

I doubt that soccer is popular in Europe because "you simply roll a ball out and kick it around for a couple of hours". Europeans can afford any sport they want, and NFL Europe failed there as did baseball despite decades of trying to be established. And I don't see how people love a sport because it is "cheap". Why would someone watch a sport because it is cheap? Proffesional soccer generates more money than the NFL, MLB and NBA combined and soccer players in Europe are multimillionaires. In fact, the equivelant of 18.2 billion $ is invested in soccer in Europe each year, more than enough to afford any sport imaginable.

I think he meant it is popular because it is cheap to play, not that they watch it because it is cheap.

Are you related to David Beckham?

I doubt that soccer is popular in Europe because "you simply roll a ball out and kick it around for a couple of hours". Europeans can afford any sport they want, and NFL Europe failed there as did baseball despite decades of trying to be established. And I don't see how people love a sport because it is "cheap". Why would someone watch a sport because it is cheap? It doesn't make sense.

Nationalism.

Americans love American sports because they are American.

Girly Europeans love girly European sports because they are girly.

I think he meant it is popular because it is cheap to play, not that they watch it because it is cheap.

Are you related to David Beckham?

I'm not asking abut soccer as a participatory sport, I'm asking about why is it the most popular spectator sport? And there are many, many sports that are as cheap to play as soccer. Baseball is one of them, as is volleyball, basketball, rugby, wrestling...etc. More money is invested in soccer than any other sport, and Europe could easily afford any sport for both playing and watching. And as I've said soccer is the most watched sport in the world on TV and has nothing to do with its "cheapness". Why are we the only people in the world to hate it and why is it so cool to hate it? Why can't anybody else see the inherent inferiority and gayness of soccer that we see?

And to your second question: NO.

Edited by bconngemini

I believe the reason soccer isn't popular in this country is because most American males are insecure about their sexuality. If one enjoys a non-contact sport there must be something a little bit off about them. Thus one bashes an excellent sport and as a result has reaffirmed their manliness.

I'm not asking abut soccer as a participatory sport, I'm asking about why is it the most popular spectator sport? And there are many, many sports that are as cheap to play as soccer. Baseball is one of them, as is volleyball, basketball, rugby, wrestling...etc. More money is invested in soccer than any other sport, and Europe could easily afford any sport for both playing and watching. And as I've said soccer is the most watched sport in the world on TV and has nothing to do with its "cheapness". Why are we the only people in the world to hate it and why is it so cool to hate it? Why can't anybody else see the inherent inferiority and gayness of soccer that we see?

And to your second question: NO.

We've already answered your question.

The non-US world watches soccer because it is the sport they are most familiar with. They are most familiar with it because they grew up playing it because it's a very easy sport to play as a child and it's practically free to participate in. That is why it is very popular across Africa, Asia and South America. Europeans love it because it's not physical.

In America we grew up with Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. These are the sports we watch because they are the ones we are most familiar with.

We've already answered your question.

The non-US world watches soccer because it is the sport they are most familiar with. They are most familiar with it because they grew up playing it because it's a very easy sport to play as a child and it's practically free to participate in. That is why it is very popular across Africa, Asia and South America. Europeans love it because it's not physical.

In America we grew up with Baseball, Football, Basketball and Hockey. These are the sports we watch because they are the ones we are most familiar with.

Not asking that really. Europeans don't hate our sports, and neither do people "across Africa, Asia and South America". They don't write football-bashing articles during the Superbowl. They don't hate baseball (many third world countries love it) and basketball has been embraced worldwide. Hockey is also much much more expensive than soccer, and is more popular in Europe and Canada than here.

We, on the other hand HATE soccer. We insult soccer anytime its mentioned, just like you are doing. We are actively against the though of soccer being seen in a positive manner. We continue to argue that it is an inferior sport to "our sports", and its been cool to do so for so long. Keep in mind that I've actually followed the soccer-bashing mantra in the past too, and have recently changed...but this hatred of soccer seems to be still prevalent in the older generation.

Why? Where does the hatred of soccer come from?

Edited by bconngemini

Not asking that really. Europeans don't hate our sports, and neither do people "across Africa, Asia and South America". They don't write football-bashing articles during the Superbowl. They don't hate baseball (many third world countries love it) and basketball has been embraced worldwide. Hockey is also much much more expensive than soccer, and is more popular in Europe and Canada than here.

We, on the other hand HATE soccer. We insult soccer anytime its mentioned, just like you are doing. We are actively against the though of soccer being seen in a positive manner. We continue to argue that it is an inferior sport to "our sports", and its been cool to do so for so long. Keep in mind that I've actually followed the soccer-bashing mantra in the past too, and have recently changed...but this hatred of soccer seems to be still prevalent in the older generation.

Hate? That's a pretty strong word. I don't think Americans HATE soccer, I think we are indifferent to it and consider it inferior to American sports.

I believe we consider it inferior because it's slow paced, requires little to no strategy and is extremely non-physical.

The hatred of soccer in America is very deep rooted from days gone past. Americans didn't invent it and weren't any good at it and decided it wasn't worth their while. If it isn't worth your while, and you are no good at it to begin with, then it's time to start bashing.

Hate? That's a pretty strong word. I don't think Americans HATE soccer, I think we are indifferent to it and consider it inferior to American sports.

I believe we consider it inferior because it's slow paced, requires little to no strategy and is extremely non-physical.

You personally called it "gay" and "girly" and "inferior" and "requires minimal physical abilities"...if that's not hate I don't know what is.

Edited by bconngemini

The hatred of soccer in America is very deep rooted from days gone past. Americans didn't invent it and weren't any good at it and decided it wasn't worth their while. If it isn't worth your while, and you are no good at it to begin with, then it's time to start bashing.

Thanks. I don't think that's it though. There are a lot of other sports we didn't invent and aren't good at, from rugby to cricket to volleyball to handball. But only soccer gets the hatred in this country. During the cricket world cup, you don't see us rally against cricket. But during the soccer world cup, euro championship...etc there is a massive anti-soccer reaction from the american public. Any negative thing you can think of, its been associated with soccer: sissy, gay, boring, lame, unamerican, stupid...etc. I can't think of any other foreign sport that gets 1/100th of the hatred that soccer gets. It sucks for people like me who are trying to be open minded about it for the first time.

Thanks. I don't think that's it though. There are a lot of other sports we didn't invent and aren't good at, from rugby to cricket to volleyball to handball. But only soccer gets the hatred in this country. During the cricket world cup, you don't see us rally against cricket. But during the soccer world cup, euro championship...etc there is a massive anti-soccer reaction from the american public. Any negative thing you can think of, its been associated with soccer: sissy, gay, boring, lame, unamerican, stupid...etc. I can't think of any other foreign sport that gets 1/100th of the hatred that soccer gets. It sucks for people like me who are trying to be open minded about it for the first time.

Did you start this thread just to complain? Did you want to play a game of soccer and couldn't find any hate-mongoring Americans to play with you? What does anyone elses opinion have to do with you liking and enjoying something?

I believe the reason soccer isn't popular in this country is because most American males are insecure about their sexuality. If one enjoys a non-contact sport there must be something a little bit off about them. Thus one bashes an excellent sport and as a result has reaffirmed their manliness.

I'm pretty sure baseball would fall into this category wouldn't it? Any sport that you can have a snack (sunflower seeds) while playing seems a bit off no?