[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Friday Night Lights

kpholmes

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally watched the finale last night. I thought they did a great job with it. I'm really going to miss this show. :wacko:

While I am going to miss the show tremendously, I was a little disappointed with the final episode and actually the last few episodes in general. It felt rushed, especially at the very end. The finale was an hour and a half, and it felt like they dragged their feet on the first hour and then crammed a bunch of crap into the final half hour.

Because the writing has been SO good up until then, this came as quite as a surprise and was even more disappointing than if it was "just some show".

I think they were forced to cut some things out. Question... for those that watched the show on DirecTV Channel 101: did that version have commercials? I suppose it had to.

I distinctly recall a preview for this final season showing Tim Riggins in an all-white suit. Never saw that.

With that said, I won't let the finale tarnish the image of my overall feelings about the show. It kicked off mere weeks into us moving to Austin (where the series was filmed). It represents a hugh part of my life, and I'm truly sad to see it end. Chavez advised me of a fabulous read - link here - and as the director mentioned, "every story must have an end".

While I am going to miss the show tremendously, I was a little disappointed with the final episode and actually the last few episodes in general. It felt rushed, especially at the very end. The finale was an hour and a half, and it felt like they dragged their feet on the first hour and then crammed a bunch of crap into the final half hour.

Because the writing has been SO good up until then, this came as quite as a surprise and was even more disappointing than if it was "just some show".

I think they were forced to cut some things out. Question... for those that watched the show on DirecTV Channel 101: did that version have commercials? I suppose it had to.

I distinctly recall a preview for this final season showing Tim Riggins in an all-white suit. Never saw that.

With that said, I won't let the finale tarnish the image of my overall feelings about the show. It kicked off mere weeks into us moving to Austin (where the series was filmed). It represents a hugh part of my life, and I'm truly sad to see it end. Chavez advised me of a fabulous read - link here - and as the director mentioned, "every story must have an end".

Very cool article :wacko:

There were no commercials on the 101 just shorter run time.

fantastic show with a fantastic ending. Oddly enough, the thing I think that they did the best with was the dynamic between Tami and the coach and the stresses the coaching life brought into their home. I have had a couple friends in the clergy and have found similar nuances with them.

I wanted to be angry at Tammy for her forceful take on things - to the point of even seperation when Eric turned down a job to keep things grounded and to stay home. She supported him though and would have moved if he wanted it. Her wanting to take the oppertunity at the college make me anxious as the coach already turned down an awesome oppertunity to stay in Dillon. I loved it because it was hard, but real, just like life. Great show.

Worst part was that when I saw it I didn't know that it was the final episode (as much as I might have allowed for it) and it left a small glimmer of hope that they might continue. I do feel though that they ended it at the right time. I feel it would have lost something if they continued with he and Tami in Philly. There's just a different type of passion. This is not to say that they don't have passion for football up north, but that it is different than the southern passion that the show was founded upon.

Edited by Duchess Jack

fantastic show with a fantastic ending. Oddly enough, the thing I think that they did the best with was the dynamic between Tami and the coach and the stresses the coaching life brought into their home. I have had a couple friends in the clergy and have found similar nuances with them.

I wanted to be angry at Tammy for her forceful take on things - to the point of even seperation when Eric turned down a job to keep things grounded and to stay home. She supported him though and would have moved if he wanted it. He wanting to take the oppertunity at the college make me anxious as the coach already turned down an awesome oppertunity to stay in Dillon. I loved it because it was hard, but real, just like life. Great show.

Worst part was that when I saw it I didn't know that it was the final episode (as much as I might have allowed for it) and it left a small glimmer of hope that they might continue. I do feel though that they ended it at the right time. I feel it would have lost something if they continued with he and Tami in Philly. There's just a different type of passion. This is not to say that they don't have passion for football up north, but that it is different than the southern passion that the show was founded upon.

Fantastic show, yes. Ending, for me - and as I've said here previously - left me a little disappointed. I agree with you that the dynamic between Tami and Coach was excellent the entire span of the show. That said, I totally disagree with you 100%. I was actually more angry at Coach for taking so long to agree to it. Of course, they wanted to save that until the end of the show, but still...

I loved how they highlighted where the characters had ended up. I actually started to like the Billy Riggins character and don't recall if they showed him coaching the Panthers or not. I sort of felt like they were leading up to him perhaps being a more involved coach.

Loved the Tyra/Tim end scene. Damn she looked more smokin' than she did when she was a regular. That was awesome. An awesome "Texas moment".

Coaches stance bugged me as well, but I tried to understand it. I am not as invested as him and there was truth to his pigheadedness. You cannot do what he did without passion and you cannot do what he did without being stubborn.

As for the elder Riggins - I think it said alot when the show painted his wardance as silly early on, but showed the team really warming up to it when it was needed. I appriciate that they did not try to make us believe that he'd be able to take the reigns as head coach - but rather took the more nuanced approach of having him more involved.

as always - eta: my damnable fingers.

Edited by Duchess Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I have now completely made my way through the series. I must not get it. Bad, predictable writing, worse acting.

You've got the paralyzed star, the black RB with too much attitude, the nerd that gets the girl, the girl with mommy issues, the girl with daddy issues, and the stereotypical Texas HS Football scene. It's like every bad teen drama/football movie rolled into one. Oh, I forgot about the rape/murder. Now that part was believable quality writing. Really hit home. If any of you are missing this show too much, I've got some of my sister's Dawson's Creek DVD's you are free to borrow.

I have now completely made my way through the series. I must not get it. Bad, predictable writing, worse acting.

You've got the paralyzed star, the black RB with too much attitude, the nerd that gets the girl, the girl with mommy issues, the girl with daddy issues, and the stereotypical Texas HS Football scene. It's like every bad teen drama/football movie rolled into one. Oh, I forgot about the rape/murder. Now that part was believable quality writing. Really hit home. If any of you are missing this show too much, I've got some of my sister's Dawson's Creek DVD's you are free to borrow.

why did you watch all 5 seasons if you hated it so much? Maybe you should take up stamp collecting.

why did you watch all 5 seasons if you hated it so much? Maybe you should take up stamp collecting.

I think he meant "season", not "series". Either way, to each his own, and this kid's own is kinda out in left field somewhere.