[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I'm buying my parents a new oven for Christmas

TimC

I bought all my appliances from Sears (Kenmore Elite) two years ago when we built this house and haven't had one issue. I bought my parents a dishwasher last year from Sears with no problems at all. This year, the oven I bought for them 15 years ago is starting to go. Soooo, I head to the Sears store at lunch today.

I check out this oven since giving my Mom a convection oven with all the bells and whistles like we have would be like giving John McCain a VCR to program. I wanna keep it nice and simple...and relatively affordable for me, of course.

I'm talking to the new salesman. I told him I had one question...if they deliver and install on Saturdays. He doesn't know. I want to check out the quality. He knows none of the features. And so on and so on. I know more about ovens than him and I can barely cook toast. He starts asking me about the extended warranty. I said I never buy those things. I know from a friend that the only thing the sales people used to make money off of was selling these extended warranties. I said every oven I've ever heard of has lasted 15 years. He said "they don't build them like that anymore". I'm like :D. Are you guys selling junk now? Oh noooooo, it's just that the labor is cheap now compared to old (most of these Kenmores are made in Mexico now). :wacko:

Isn't this shooting yourself in the foot to sell some crappy warranty? :D

Anyways, I'll probably just buy online and not deal with the store help. These stores really need to re-evaluate how and why they pay their employees "perks".

I'm trying to muster up the strength not to go into yet another rant about why they shouldn't be called warranties.

None the less, we bought a printer the other day just to do photos. $100. Dude wanted to sell me an extended warranty for $35. That's a freaking 1/3 of the price? Are they telling me that 1 out of 3 breaks within 2 years? That's pretty damned shoddy.

Thanks for posting more proof that the terrorists are winning.

When I bought my lawn tractor from Sears 2 years ago, the guy said his boss is gonna be mad at him that I chose not to buy the extended warranty. So I agree with you.

Det, I'd be interested on the thoughts. Tina wants to head up there this weekend and check them out with me since I'm basically "the carrier of money" in her world. I'd like to have some ammo since I enjoy messing with the help. :wacko:

When I bought my lawn tractor from Sears 2 years ago, the guy said his boss is gonna be mad at him that I chose not to buy the extended warranty. So I agree with you.

Det, I'd be interested on the thoughts. Tina wants to head up there this weekend and check them out with me since I'm basically "the carrier of money" in her world. I'd like to have some ammo since I enjoy messing with the help. :wacko:

It's just a matter of semantics really. They're not selling warranties, they're selling insurance. It just irritates me and I'm always quick to mention that. "You mean insurance, right? An insurance policy on my TV?"

"No, it's an extended warranty."

"No, it's not. A warranty is something you give me for free because you believe that your product is so good, you'll never have to fix it or repair it. When someone pays a little money to protect themselves from the possibility of paying out more if something bad happens? That's called insurance."

Far as I can tell most warranties (ie the "built in" ones not extended) are a joke anyway because you're resposnible for shipping the damn thing to the company. In that sense if you want the security AND convenience of being covered and it's cheap enough, an extended warranty MIGHT make sense - I almost bought one for a $50 DVD player that was I think $8 because I'd just bought a cheaper DVD player earlier that broke just a few days after the whopping 90 day warranty and f*** having to ship it back to wherever.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it today at lunch. The 5-year warranty was $120.00. That was like 25% of the purchase price. :wacko:

I got a different guy that didn't call his products 'crap'. Guy tried a little, but I said if it breaks I'll just buy another oven for the $500.00 it cost me. No biggie.

I bought it today at lunch. The 5-year warranty was $120.00. That was like 25% of the purchase price. :wacko:

I got a different guy that didn't call his products 'crap'. Guy tried a little, but I said if it breaks I'll just buy another oven for the $500.00 it cost me. No biggie.

You do know you just cost that guy about 90% of his commission.

the moral of the story being, don't give someone a frigging oven as a christmas present. what did they get for their birthday, a garbage disposal? :wacko:

Last Christmas it was a dishwasher. I am slowly remodeling their kitchen one appliance at a time. I bought them a fridge a couple years back. New countertops will be next Christmas probably. Seriously.

Birthdays are usually gift cards for restaurants.

Why do you hate my parents, Az?

Sure, my Dad used to beat me and lock me in the crawl space under the house for weeks on end, but he would normally draw the line at stuffing me in the oven when it wasn't a holiday most times....I know he loved me.