[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Verizon FIOS

MrTed46

Inspired by the Directv thread.

How does Verizon FIOS work? Do they still use regular RG6 cabling or do they use a different type (Toslink)?

I am thinking of switching to them when it becomes available but I will not if this required rewiring my house. I have RG6 and Cat5 runnining to each room and if this is not sufficient I will stay with Directv.

As per my buddy "Joe" who works for Verizion overseeing the installation of the FO lines "what you have is sufficient." He told me if you want to call him he can put you in the data base. This way when its coming to your area he can let you know. Send me a PM if you want his number.

Inspired by the Directv thread.

How does Verizon FIOS work? Do they still use regular RG6 cabling or do they use a different type (Toslink)?

I am thinking of switching to them when it becomes available but I will not if this required rewiring my house. I have RG6 and Cat5 runnining to each room and if this is not sufficient I will stay with Directv.

When I had FIOS installed, they rewired my house free of charge, and they sent qualified people to do it. Just FYI in case this need to be done.

As per my buddy "Joe" who works for Verizion overseeing the installation of the FO lines "what you have is sufficient." He told me if you want to call him he can put you in the data base. This way when its coming to your area he can let you know. Send me a PM if you want his number.

I think I called Verizon and put my name in the database already (is this the same databse?). I am 100% going to get Telephone and Internet Service from them...I am on the fence on the TV aspect. I wish DirecTV would let you get just the football package and not a monthly service.

When I had FIOS installed, they rewired my house free of charge, and they sent qualified people to do it. Just FYI in case this need to be done.

Same on my end. Guy was at my house for about three hours as he had to pull the new fiber optic line a long way to get to my house.

What type of wiring did you have? What type of wiring did they use to re-wire?

I had the old telephone wire for the phone and I had normal cable coax, (I think that is what it is called), for the cable tv from comcast.

Now I have fiber optic line to the computer modem and to the TV but the TV is not hooked up yet as that is not in my area. I am pre-wired and ready to go as soon as they let my area have it. Comcast has a strangle hold on Pittsburgh. The phone still uses the old pre existing house wiring. They just ran the fiber to the old hook up and made the connection there.

Edited by Skippy

I love my Verizon FIOS. Before I had the FIOS installed my analog line was having quite a few issues. When I switched to FIOS they came out and laid the new fiber optic line from the street to my house. Right now I am only on the phone/internet service ... a cable runs directly to my bedroom where my router. There is also a battery back up in the garage.

I just got rid of the Sunday Ticket so I am strongly considering switching to FIOS for my television.