[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League IR Spot Question

giggity

What are the IR roster spot rules for your keeper leagues? If you place a player on IR are they automatically your keeper for the next year?

Edit: My current 2 Max keeper league has a single IR spot. In order to use it the player has to be put on his NFL teams actual IR list. If you use this spot, this player MUST be one of your 2 keepers the following year. So not only have you taken a big blow your current year (because if you are considering putting someone on IR they are probably a top 3 or 4 pick) you are potentially hurting your next year if that player is late to camp, has complications, etc.

Edited by giggity

In my 3-max keeper, there are 2 IR slots, but must be for injured players. But they don't need to kept or traded the following season. No keepers need to be declared until the keeper deadline as defined by league rules.

We are a league that is allowed to keep up to 3 players, we allow the use of multiple IR spots. To place a player on IR he does have to be on IR in the NFL. We do not require owners to keep players placed on IR.

The whole point behind the IR is to still have the rights to that player the next season not to be forced to keep the player.

Does anyone have any valid arguments for why you should force IR spots to be a keeper? I did some forum searching and couldn't come up with anything.

None I can think of.

Then again, there are not neccessarily valid arguments as to why they should not be forced to be a keeper. You are gaining an advantage in the current season by retaining their rights and being able to replace them on your active roster without losing them, so in this case the "cost" of gaining this advantage in the current season is that they must be protected the following season. Adds a layer to the strategy of whether or not to use the IR spot or to just carry an injured player on your active roster so you can choose whether or not to keep him rather than be forced to keep him.