[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3rd Party ruling

toolman

Ok fellow Huddlers we have a dilemna in our league. Its an established league (15 years) 10 team performance, 2 divisions of 5 teams, you play everyone in your division twice and everyone in the other division once for a total of 13 games. Top 3 teams in each division go to playoffs, the division winner gets a week 14 (rd 1 of playoffs) bye.

Ok heres the problem one division has a 3 way tie all 3 teams are at 8-5 overall record and 4-4 division record. Here I'll post it:

Team W L T Pct W L T Pct Tot Avg Tot Strk LP

Team T 8 5 0 0.615 4 4 0 0.500 744 57.2 690 L2 49

Tean M 8 5 0 0.615 4 4 0 0.500 726 55.8 622 W1 72

Team C 8 5 0 0.615 4 4 0 0.500 625 48.1 682 W2 74

Heres our rules for Division rankings:

Division Ranking

Teams are ranked within a division using the following order:

1. Overall Winning Percentage

2. Division Winning Percentage

3. Head-to-HEAD Games Played (2 teams only)

4. Most Points For, Season To Date

5. Virtual Coin Toss

Team T and Team C split their division series, Team M and Team C split their division series, Team M beat Team T both times in division matchups. Our system has Team T as the Division champ and Teams M and C playing each other in the first round of the playoffs. I think thats wrong and heres why, Team M beat Team T 2-0 in the division so he shouldn't even be considered for div champ, team M and team C splith their matchup 1-1 but Team M has more total points scored so I say it should be Team M 1st, Team T 2nd and Team C 3rd as him and T tied in division and Team T has more points scored.

Please anyone with serious fantasy football experience (running a league) let me know what you think I say no way can a team that went 0-2 against another team be Division champ over said team. Thank you and I know its long but please help with some insight thank you again!

Looks like the software has it right to me based on your rules.

Teams are ranked within a division using the following order:

1. Overall Winning Percentage

All teams are tied at 0.615

2. Division Winning Percentage

All teams are tied at 0.500

There are 3 teams tied so you have to skip this step

4. Most Points For, Season To Date

Team T - 744

Team M - 726

Team C - 625

5. Virtual Coin Toss

Based on the way that your tiebreakers are setup it does not matter that Team M beat Team T twice since head-to-head only comes into play with 2 teams.

Edited by BYoder

rules say:

Since 3 teams are involved, H2H can't be used.

Next to #4 to most points and team T wins the division.

If it was a 2-way tie between teams M and T, Team M would have won the division, but since Team C was also tied with them, that throws out the H2H since league rules clearly state that H2H applies only when 2 teams are involved.

Edited by Big John

rules say:

Since 3 teams are involved, H2H can't be used.

Next to #4 to most points and team T wins the division.

If it was a 2-way tie between teams M and T, Team M would have won the division, but since Team C was also tied with them, that throws out the H2H since league rules clearly state that H2H applies only when 2 teams are involved.

Thanks everyone for your input. Here's where I think its open for interpetation, Team T shouldn't even be considered in the mix for division champ sure he's tied with overall and div record with the other two teams. But seeing as he was beat by Team M twice the two teams implied by the head to head (2 teams) rule are Team M and Team C as they were both split their in div match-up thus it falls to points scored between these two.

I ran this scenario by our leagues members:

Here's a scenario say Team M and Team C beat Team T both times so that all three of them still were 8-5 and 4-4 div record but the other two teams had 2-0 record against him head to head, Team T would still be div champ??? based on points scored that's not right.

And for those of you wondering I am not any of the 3 teams in this discussion I won my division hands down. Thanks again.

Edited by toolman

There's two different questions. Question one is what to do this year, and you simply can't change the rules mid-stream. It's got to go to total points (which in reality, probably IS the fairest way in Fantasy -- the best fantasy team isn't the one with the most wins, it's the one with the most points, right? -- think about who you would rather face in the playoffs).

Question two is which way it SHOULD be done. If this was "real" head-to-head, you could do "mini-standings". That's multiple team head to head -- you take all the tied teams and see how they did against each other. In your example, M would be 3-1, C would be 2-2, and T would be 1-3 so M would win. And in a "real" sport I would say that's the way to go. But not in Fantasy, and you can't change it now.

One other suggestion for this year -- don't give ANY of them the bye (none of them earned it) -- have all three teams set a lineup for this week, and let the two highest scores this week advance.

There's two different questions. Question one is what to do this year, and you simply can't change the rules mid-stream. It's got to go to total points (which in reality, probably IS the fairest way in Fantasy -- the best fantasy team isn't the one with the most wins, it's the one with the most points, right? -- think about who you would rather face in the playoffs).

Question two is which way it SHOULD be done. If this was "real" head-to-head, you could do "mini-standings". That's multiple team head to head -- you take all the tied teams and see how they did against each other. In your example, M would be 3-1, C would be 2-2, and T would be 1-3 so M would win. And in a "real" sport I would say that's the way to go. But not in Fantasy, and you can't change it now.

One other suggestion for this year -- don't give ANY of them the bye (none of them earned it) -- have all three teams set a lineup for this week, and let the two highest scores this week advance.

Yea I'm not suggesting we change it mid season I just can't get the two commish's to admit its not right. We've done head to head for 10 years at least.