[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Satellite images question

fingfootball

My Dad wants to get a really clear satellite image of his farm so that he can mark down all electric, water and anything else he's put in the ground out there in the last 50 years. I tried google earth and once you get down so far it gets really blurry. Does anyone know where I can get some clearer images for him?

My Dad wants to get a really clear satellite image of his farm so that he can mark down all electric, water and anything else he's put in the ground out there in the last 50 years. I tried google earth and once you get down so far it gets really blurry. Does anyone know where I can get some clearer images for him?

try maps.live.com and hit "Bird's Eye View". Depending on how far out in the sticks it is you should get a pretty decent close-up. This obviously won't work with all pieces of property, but it's been better than Google for me.

try maps.live.com and hit "Bird's Eye View". Depending on how far out in the sticks it is you should get a pretty decent close-up. This obviously won't work with all pieces of property, but it's been better than Google for me.

Must be pretty far out in the sticks, that map wont allow me to go to the Birs Eye View.

If he doesn't reply here, go ahead and PM polk.

Follow-up question, though... why does he want it on a satellite image? He should likely employ a surveyor (like polk, for instance) to come "shoot" his property and plot the utilities, etc. on an ALTA Survey (basically a map depicting the location of utilities, easements, structures, etc.)

If he doesn't reply here, go ahead and PM polk.

Follow-up question, though... why does he want it on a satellite image? He should likely employ a surveyor (like polk, for instance) to come "shoot" his property and plot the utilities, etc. on an ALTA Survey (basically a map depicting the location of utilities, easements, structures, etc.)

My Dad turned 77 back in September and his brother passed over the summer, so he wants to draw out all the utilities in case something happens to him. Him and my Uncle ran all of the electicity, water, septic, heat pump and phones themselves over alot of years. So basically there is about a square 1/4 mile of ultilies ran from his house to all the barn's and pumphouse's, and it's all in his head and he wants some peace knowing that if he is not around that I will be able to find this stuff to take care of things for my Mom.

Wow, this is kind of a sobering subject.

My Dad turned 77 back in September and his brother passed over the summer, so he wants to draw out all the utilities in case something happens to him. Him and my Uncle ran all of the electicity, water, septic, heat pump and phones themselves over alot of years. So basically there is about a square 1/4 mile of ultilies ran from his house to all the barn's and pumphouse's, and it's all in his head and he wants some peace knowing that if he is not around that I will be able to find this stuff to take care of things for my Mom.

Wow, this is kind of a sobering subject.

Certainly a sobering subject. Cool that he's able to do this from memory, though. If he doesn't need exact locations, then doing it this way would work, I suppose. In either case, polk should be able to help you out.

You would still have to have a surveyor 'mark' exactly where they are incase anything ever had to be done. They can easily mark lines for electric, water, phone etc.

Yeah, I understand. But he asked for an aerial view of the farm, so that's what I'm trying to find.

Yeah, I understand. But he asked for an aerial view of the farm, so that's what I'm trying to find.

An ALTA Survey would be an aerial view of the property, just in "map" format rather than photograph. It'd be 100% accurate too. You might want to explore the option, as it could be just as expensive to get the level of detail you need in an aerial photograph.

An ALTA Survey would be an aerial view of the property, just in "map" format rather than photograph. It'd be 100% accurate too. You might want to explore the option, as it could be just as expensive to get the level of detail you need in an aerial photograph.

I think you are probably right. Can you suggest who to go through, or should I go through Polk?

I think you are probably right. Can you suggest who to go through, or should I go through Polk?

I can prob map most of the utilities from here if you can hook me up with coords. If I cant which is very possible I can get you some really good images.

How big is the farm?

I can prob map most of the utilities from here if you can hook me up with coords. If I cant which is very possible I can get you some really good images.

How big is the farm?

The area he needs is about a square quarter mile. I will work on the coords. Thank you very much.

See below.

How big is the farm?

You rule poop man.

The area he needs is about a square quarter mile. I will work on the coords. Thank you very much.

:wacko:

See below.

You rule poop man.

:wacko:

I think I located a fireplug under a pine today using this remote spectral stuff. Ill have to go ground truth it this weekend.

On the coords if you can find it on google earth it displays the coords.

I need to clean out my gutters.