[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flat-screen TVs

Swiss Cheezhead

My 55-inch Hitachi dinosaur is starting to slowly fail me. I'm thinking I need to convert to a flat screen pretty soon.

I think I want a minimum of 46 inches (preferably 50 or 52), but other than that, I'm fairly clueless.

Plasma? DLP? LCD?

1080P? 780P?

What is the difference?

Feel free to point me to a "flat screens for dummies" Web site. Otherwise, I'd love to get some input from some knowledgeable Huddlers. :wacko:

My basic research:

If your room is bright, LCD is likely your friend, although it's a bit more expensive at this point. Also, plasmas over 50"? Not sure. Unless you get that 11' behemoth skylive linked to in another thread. :D

If your room can be darkened, plasmas look great and they seem to be less expensive.

720 isn't all that visibly less awesome looking to the naked eye than 1080p on tvs 50" or less. And the 720p tvs are SO much cheaper. From what I gather, there's actually very little programming available in 1080p right now, unless you watch BluRay movies on a BluRay player.

The new "it" feature in LCDs has to do with the refresh rate, 60Hz vs. 120Hz. This is mostly a factor with movie watching and smoothness, I think. If you want the 120Hz, it's going to cost you a few hundred bucks more.

We decided to pony up for the 120Hz to be somewhat ahead of the curve. This all but assures that it will no longer be an important feature within 6 months.

We went with the Samsung 46" 630 model. Series 6 is the lowest you can go and still get the 120Hz. It's on sale this week for $1399 at Circuit City. The 650 has one more HDMI port on it but it has a glossy screen vs. the anti-glare. Both have that stupid Touch of Color redness to the bezel. :wacko:

We also liked the look of the Sony 46 W series tv. Again, the W series is the cutoff for the 120Hz issue. It was on sale Black Friday for $1299 and it's $1999 now :D

Buy cables from Monoprice. Their "knowledge base" section within the cable descriptions was VERY helpful to me in figuring out what I needed, once I got the advice here. I'd love to have the opportunity to test Monster cables vs. the Monoprice ones side by side to see if there's really a difference. I just can't see spending that kind of cash on a piece of wire.