[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ice Storm

skylive5

I'm in Albany, NY and have been without power since Thursday night. It's a complete mess, with trees down everywhere.

A check in! Finally someone. Doesn't sound like you are having a good time....but safe.... you have an estimate when you guys get power back? Read something about ..a week?

A check in! Finally someone. Doesn't sound like you are having a good time....but safe.... you have an estimate when you guys get power back? Read something about ..a week?

Depends on the area. I'm not sure about New England, but the Capital Region got hit the worst in NY. A lot of cities have declared states of emergency and I think they said around 200,000 in the area were without power. National Grid has been calling in workers from wherever they can. The neighbors who live on the next street over from me got their power back yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I could be back up tonight. I know other people in more rural areas got it a lot worse.

Depends on the area. I'm not sure about New England, but the Capital Region got hit the worst in NY. A lot of cities have declared states of emergency and I think they said around 200,000 in the area were without power. National Grid has been calling in workers from wherever they can. The neighbors who live on the next street over from me got their power back yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I could be back up tonight. I know other people in more rural areas got it a lot worse.

Roger that. Sounds like they are closing in on ya. Hang in there.

Rural always seems to be the bad place to live when it comes to power and storms. Trade off is worth it though in the long run.

Just got our power back in Southern NH tonight just after 6. Lost in Thursday night around 11 or so. Wife and I are in an apartment complex, and the management did a decent job helping out. They rotated a few generators through the 30 or so buildings, and every time they got to ours, we had about two hours of heat and hot water. We have gas for cooking, so we were able to cook some, although we did end up throwing away some food that went bad. Overall, more inconvenience than anything else. As h8 implied, it's not like a hurricane came through or anything.

-And I'm only speaking about my experience, I'm sure others had it harder. My brother had a tree fall on his wife's car and we had a friend with some limbs go through some windows.

Still out at my house. I am one of the minority left in Salem but I'm hoping it will be back by tonight. Temps in the high 50's today so that helps with the pipes.

I wondered about you, Vin. Stay safe hun!

Czar just emailed me.....she's had no power since Thursday either. "They" say they hope to have hers back on today some time. She bought a generator on Sunday.....so I hope she's staying warm at least.

Still what.....about 200K without power? Wow. At least our massive power outage happened in the summer......stay safe out there Huddlers!!

Czar just emailed me.....

Excellent! I was starting to get worried.

One by one on the check ins...

This is looking like we will all get a real winter this year. Snow on the ground here and expecting more tomm. Colder'n a .... well, it's cold.

Mine came back on tonight at around 7:30. It was nearly 5 days for us. Our school district is still closed with a best case scenario of Thursday opening. Oh, and we're getting a little storm tonight. :wacko:

We're blessed to have very good friends -- one couple was able to secure a generator for us in a crazy place where people were practically tussling for them...75 miles from where we live. Other friends put up our family for the night on Friday. Our friends McGyvered the generator to our house (it's only illegal to do it this way in 15 states!)

Jaffrey, NH schools just announced that they won't reopen until January 5, following suit with two other hard-hit districts. Many there have been told they won't get power back before Christmas. :D

screw your little wussy ice storm. We're getting about five inches of new snow tonight and this is the forecast for Thursday night:

A major winter storm will develop Thursday evening with freezing rain generally along and south of I-96/I-196 and snow north. Preliminary indications are for up to a half inch of ice accumulation south and up to 20 inches of snow north.

:wacko:

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Czar saying that you were concerned about her, but she ignored my message. Apparently she hates both of us Sky. :D

Oh stop it......she loves you guys more than me. :D Just so happens Czar and I play each other in the finals in PnH......lol. I'm SURE she was just giving me a headsup in case her lineup got screwed for Thursday's game. :D

Geeze Czar.....get ready. Sounds like you guys have used up all your 'calamity days' for school already. So did we in our Sept blackout. So the kids are out of "snow days" here.......LOL. Any days missed now will get tacked on at the end of the year.

Oh.....and you can be sure your electric company is going to try to charge an extra fee.....for calling in reinforcements. They are litigating that now here too. All those profits over the last umpteenth years......and they want US to pay for them not upgrading a thing in 40 years. But I digress......lol. Gosh I'm in a ranting mood tonight......LOL.

Glad to see people are getting their power back on. :wacko:

And we dodged a bullet this morning with the ice wiegie.....you guys stay safe up there! :D

For what it's worth, I sent a message to Czar saying that you were concerned about her, but she ignored my message. Apparently she hates both of us Sky. :D

Here's the thing...I got online yesterday morning at school with my school computer. I got an email from PnH with the results and I replied all to that email to let people know I was still alive.

I just won't even go to Facebook or anything like that from my school laptop, so I couldn't reply to your posting. So I did see that you'd posted on the wall because of the email, but I couldn't respond without going to facebook.:wacko:

Here's the thing...I got online yesterday morning at school with my school computer. I got an email from PnH with the results and I replied all to that email to let people know I was still alive.

I just won't even go to Facebook or anything like that from my school laptop, so I couldn't reply to your posting. So I did see that you'd posted on the wall because of the email, but I couldn't respond without going to facebook.:wacko:

whatever, hater.

:D