[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Security

Egret

Stories like this freak me out. I live in a very safe neighborhood, but it only takes one nutjob to create a situation like that. Has anyone here used any of the big companies for their house? My neighbor across the street is a cop, and she uses ADT. Another house two doors down also uses ADT. Is it worth the money? Is there something else I should do? Tips?

I had ADT for a couple years and then found something cheaper. An alarm is only a deterrent. If someone wants something they can generally get it before the cops arrive. But my alarm does give me peace of mind at night. The windows and doors are all wired. There are motion detectors that don't trigger the alarm but notify of movement. But the thing that makes me feel safest is my 40 caliber Glock.

I use ADT.

It's worth the money as soon as someone break into your house and gets scared off by the alarm. Often times just the sticker will keep your house safe from punks.

A dog is a good idea for home security. As is a small safe that you can hide valuables in.

I would like to get a dog for the house, but my wife is not on board at this time. If I do get one, I am going to try and get a first generation crossbreed of a guard dog breed and some other that does not share the same health risks so as to maximize the health of the little guy :wacko:

I find more comfort from our alarm for alerting the fire station. A break-in or fire are both unlikely, but by the time a burglar gets upstairs to do us harm, we'll be awake and can hold them off until the cops get there. A fire can spread before we even wake up, so it's nice to know that the fire dept would be there in a minute or two.

Just curious, how do you expect to do this? More importantly, why do you want to do this? Don't know about you, but I have insurance. I just want dude to get the hell out. If he manages to grab some loot on the way, so be it, that can be replaced. "Holding him off til the cops come" smells a lot like something that could escalate to a hostage situation or some such.

Just curious, how do you expect to do this? More importantly, why do you want to do this? Don't know about you, but I have insurance. I just want dude to get the hell out. If he manages to grab some loot on the way, so be it, that can be replaced. "Holding him off til the cops come" smells a lot like something that could escalate to a hostage situation or some such.

I think when he says "hold them off" he's referring to protecting himself. Which, of course, is your only option unless you want to walk downstairs with your hands in the air.

Wow! I can see how that story would freak someone out. It makes me think about the Brinks commercial of the guy jogging and he stops to tie his shoe as the dad leaves for work. Then, goes and kicks in the door only to have the alarm go off.

That punk a$$hole in the story deserves a slowwww, painful, and vengeful death, IMO.

As for security, I would check around some websites and find out statistics on response time. A lot of these security companies use the same centralized call center, but charge different fees. For instance one company might be $16 vs. $20, BUT WHEN THE ALARM IS SOUNDED THE SIGNAL GOES TO THE EXACT SAME DISPATCH CENTER. Also, some dispatch centers have better response time numbers than others...I'm not up to date on it so you might have to do a little research there. As for the alarm itself, IIRC, they are all similar, the trick is to know what is susceptible to or inviting to a burglar and whether the security salesman is able to diagnose it, and have a remedy for it. Getting some free estimates from professional security salesman will give you a good insight to what is needed and what is overkill. Personally, went with a local company that is not national but still quite large regionally.

have ADT. thankfully havent had to use any of the emergency features, i hope they work. one neat thing is the dummy code they have. if you are followed in by an intruder, you can enter the dummy code which shuts off the alarm in your home but sends a distress alarm to ADT. they inturn call the cops and alert them about a possible hostage situation so they dont come with lights blaring.

i also worry about my wife and the attached garage in the alley. i always tell her to keep the doors locked til the garage door is completely closed. several robberies have happened in the garages here in chitown.

Edited by dmarc117

all alarms are deterents, you can cut the power and your in. i have the lawn sign to deter them, if they even see that they move on. the honest to God safest tool i have are my dogs. A shorkie barks her head off at anything, my sweet pit bull doesn't bark, or bite either, but an intruder WILL NOT come in my house. guns and ammo if it really hits the fan.

all alarms are deterents, you can cut the power and your in. i have the lawn sign to deter them, if they even see that they move on. the honest to God safest tool i have are my dogs. A shorkie barks her head off at anything, my sweet pit bull doesn't bark, or bite either, but an intruder WILL NOT come in my house. guns and ammo if it really hits the fan.

Q: If I lose electric power, will my alarm system still work?

A: Yes. In case of a power loss, the back-up battery will activate to maintain your alarm protection for several hours. In the event your battery is low, a low-battery signal will be sent to your Customer Monitoring Center so you can be notified.

In addition to what dmarc posted about power back-up systems. Many alarms (like mine) come with cell phone connection to the alarm company in case of communication failure too.

please don't post something factually wrong just for your agenda.

my apoligy. must be recent, last ten years or so. but some, not all, don't have this feature. only the good ones, :wacko: your highness.

In addition to what dmarc posted about power back-up systems. Many alarms (like mine) come with cell phone connection to the alarm company in case of communication failure too.

please don't post something factually wrong just for your agenda.

yep, i have my cell number as the 2nd line to call if anything happens. they called once and i didnt answer because i didnt recognize the number. lol! thankfully it was a false alarm!

Q: If I lose electric power, will my alarm system still work?

A: Yes. In case of a power loss, the back-up battery will activate to maintain your alarm protection for several hours. In the event your battery is low, a low-battery signal will be sent to your Customer Monitoring Center so you can be notified.

before cell phones you could cut the phone line also. i know some shady characters. unfortuneatly they were excellent employees. :wacko: not an agenda but the dog alarm was my preference. you could drug and kill the dog also, before your rebutal. i hope you and your family stay safe.

before cell phones you could cut the phone line also. i know some shady characters. unfortuneatly they were excellent employees. :wacko: not an agenda but the dog alarm was my preference. you could drug and kill the dog also, before your rebutal. i hope you and your family stay safe.

i would assume that the alarm companies would have some backup to power loss and phone loss. but dunno for sure. i agree with the deterent factor. bad peeps will definitely try to rob the place with the fewest obstacles be those dogs or alarm systems. so both probably work.