[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My company lost my personal information.

slickvick

I work for a very large company and received a letter stating that the payroll dept.could not account for a portable data storage device which contained my name and social security number.They say the security dept concluded this device was lost and there is no evidence of theft or misuse.My company is offering a free year of Experian's triple alert credit monitoring to me.Is this sufficient or should I take other action?Thank you for any help on this matter.

happened to me as well thru one of my brokerage firms. some dbag left his laptop in the back of a taxi. have the experian thing, but i always keep one. you can file a fraud alert that does not require a police report and that stays on for 90 days i think. a multi-year fraud alert needs a police report. the fraud alert does require you to do a bit more when trying to get credit and open new accounts, but nothing to cumbersome.

https://www.experian.com/consumer/cac/Inval...e=SECURITYALERT

Edited by dmarc117

Happened to me at my last company, they gave me two years of the Experian thing. Nothing ever came of it. Most likely some dbag in your company didn't take care of his USB drive and some other dbag saw it, went....oooo, shiny...and took it. It was probably formatted 15 seconds after it was plugged in. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your credit report though.